Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2010, 01:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member #5367
View hanginmoss58's Photo Gallery(0)
2007 420 Rancher solenoid problem

I have a 2007 420 rancher es that keeps toasting the starter solenoid. I have replaced the battery and the solenoid. The solenoid went out again. Replaced the solenoid and it went out again. Now I have no power at all. All fuses are good in fuse box and battery tested at 12.56 volts. ANY SUGGESTIONS.
hanginmoss58 is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 09-25-2010, 01:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
View shadetree's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 91 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanginmoss58 View Post
I have a 2007 420 rancher es that keeps toasting the starter solenoid. I have replaced the battery and the solenoid. The solenoid went out again. Replaced the solenoid and it went out again. Now I have no power at all. All fuses are good in fuse box and battery tested at 12.56 volts. ANY SUGGESTIONS.
if you keep blowing fuses..then you have a short somewhere...if you don't have any power what so ever..then your main fuse is blown..i have never seen selonoids shorting out..other than from time..if something keeps toasting it..you got a bad short from battery to selonoid..this would be my guess...your starter isn't locked up is it ?..check to make sure your starter still works...check all your leads from battery to starter..and from battery to ground.
shadetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 06:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member #5367
Are you talking about the fuse labeled main fuse in the fuse box (30 amp) or something else.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
Quote:
Are you talking about the fuse labeled main fuse in the fuse box (30 amp) or something else.
yup..thats your main fuse..make sure it's good..check your battery leads to your battery..selonoid..and then to the starter..somewhere in that line leads..is a short..or somewhere in your wireing..( a hot wire..more than likely )..has rubbed through the wireing harness..and is touching bare metal..and when you turn the key on..your grounding out..causing the fuses and such to blow.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:23 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member #5367
Found the problem. In the positive battery cable there is a relay in the quick connect plugin. It is between the battery and the fuse box. There is also a cable that runs to the solenoid in this cable. The dealer calls it battery relay cable. Thanks for all the help. From your suggestions of checking all the wires lead me to this relay. It cuts the power from the battery to the fuse box and the soleniod.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
Quote:
Found the problem. In the positive battery cable there is a relay in the quick connect plugin. It is between the battery and the fuse box. There is also a cable that runs to the solenoid in this cable. The dealer calls it battery relay cable. Thanks for all the help. From your suggestions of checking all the wires lead me to this relay. It cuts the power from the battery to the fuse box and the soleniod.
sweet..glad you fixed it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Search tags for this page
07 honda rancher 420 starter solenoid
2007 honda rancher 420 starter solenoid
2007 honda rancher es starting problems
2007 honda rancher no power

2007 honda rancher starter

honda rancher 420 starter solenoid
honda rancher starter solenoid
how to know if a starter solenoid is bad on a honda rancher 420
is solenoid working on honda 2007 trx420
starter on 2010 honda rancher
were is the solenoid on a honda rancher 420es licated
where is the starter located on a 2007 honda rancher 420 es
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.