Honda ATV Forum banner

1985 honda 70 atc problems

5K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  kalin114 
#1 ·
Hello All,
I am trying to get a 1985 honda 70 atc running, I bought new carb,coil,plugs, and stator assembly and adjusted points and still will not run. Seems to have weak spark and at times no spark. Tried different rotors which had a little rust on them. Still no luck. Today I transfered all the new stuff to a 1979 70 which had a rotor that still looked new, no rust,and still having same problem. I did notice that the stator assemblies are a diff part # will this affect anything? What is weird is that I bought the stator assembly new, points and condenser came with it. Used the light system to adjust the points, and it seems like I got that right. I just don't know.... thanks for your reply's

#2 ·
sounds like the points are not set right..put your piston on tdc..loosen your points...i use a reg piece of paper..folded twice..stick in the points..tighten back down..leave the outer point ring loose..so you can slide it around some..if you got the points and cam lined up with all the marks...try cranking it..watch for good spark..if no change..move the outer ring one way or the other..until you get a good spark..honda 70's don't need much spark to run..and did you check your compression ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.