Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2010, 07:48 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member #3401
View ironsetr's Photo Gallery(0)
1987 trx 350 4x4 still stalling

I have posted the same problem on here before but can't figure it out. Pulled and cleaned the carb put in a rebuild kit new jets and stuff. The problem that I'm still having is she starts and idles fine every time. When I go to put it in gear it stalls. It is intermittent, this will happen for a few minutes than it will go. When this is happening i can reach down with my hand and pull up on the shift lever and just before it goes into gear it will stall. Also when i do finally get it going I'll be going down the road then all of a sudden it will cut out, if i downshift into neutral before it stops rolling it idles fine and i can keep going again. Is there any type of switch in that is connected with the shifter in the trans? it has been intermittent for a couple of years now. I'll have weekends when it doesn't do it at al,l and then sometimes it happens all the time. Sorry so long a post just really frustrated. thanks in advance
ironsetr is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 08-28-2010, 07:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #417
View TRX2fiveO's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 52 times
You have a neutral switch and a reverse switch either one will give you an issue if they are bad but they are not usually intermitten, they usually fail all together. If you set your Idle too low when you pop it in gear it will cause the engine to stall too.
07 Suzuki LTZ250 (Sons)
00 TRX350TM 4X2 (Resale bike)
01 TRX250EX (TLC Needed)
74' CB360 (future FrankenQuad)
Work in progress

JETTING

MOOSE_WAGON_makeover

2000_Rancher_build
TRX2fiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 07:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
View shadetree's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironsetr View Post
I have posted the same problem on here before but can't figure it out. Pulled and cleaned the carb put in a rebuild kit new jets and stuff. The problem that I'm still having is she starts and idles fine every time. When I go to put it in gear it stalls. It is intermittent, this will happen for a few minutes than it will go. When this is happening i can reach down with my hand and pull up on the shift lever and just before it goes into gear it will stall. Also when i do finally get it going I'll be going down the road then all of a sudden it will cut out, if i downshift into neutral before it stops rolling it idles fine and i can keep going again. Is there any type of switch in that is connected with the shifter in the trans? it has been intermittent for a couple of years now. I'll have weekends when it doesn't do it at al,l and then sometimes it happens all the time. Sorry so long a post just really frustrated. thanks in advance
turn your idle up..and did you check your fuel pump ?..it has a elec fuel pump on it..it also has a fuel pump control box..right rear behind a black cover. this tells the fuel pump to shut off after it reaches so much pressure
shadetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 08:36 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member #3401
the fuel pump is pulsating about once every second don't know about the control box or what to check there. tried the idle doesn't change things. if i warm it up sometimes it will go get 100 yards and stall,stall,stall, then all of a sudden it will go and run for hours. if i turn it off sometimes it will go and sometimes it will go thru the stalling again
Old 08-28-2010, 08:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
Quote:
the fuel pump is pulsating about once every second don't know about the control box or what to check there. tried the idle doesn't change things. if i warm it up sometimes it will go get 100 yards and stall,stall,stall, then all of a sudden it will go and run for hours. if i turn it off sometimes it will go and sometimes it will go thru the stalling again
check your float needle..from what your saying..it's running out of fuel..start at your gas tank..and go from there to your carb..i think your float is sticking..and your running out of fuel...if it runs fine when you first start it..then yeah..it's running out of fuel..about a 100 yards..and yeah..you used up your carb bowl gas..and it's not re-filling back up...check your float needle..make sure it's not sticking...also check your float itself..make sure it's set right.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:56 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member #3401
i just replaced all the jets and the float needle pin. this has been going on for a couple of years. sometimes i can run it for four days without a problem then it will do it again constantly then it may go away. it seems to happen in bunches sometimes it will do it very often and sometimes not at all
Old 08-28-2010, 10:27 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
Quote:
i just replaced all the jets and the float needle pin. this has been going on for a couple of years. sometimes i can run it for four days without a problem then it will do it again constantly then it may go away. it seems to happen in bunches sometimes it will do it very often and sometimes not at all
did you change the fuel filter lately ??..clean the tank out ??..it's not getting enough gas..your float is not letting enough gas into the carb..check all of this.
Old 08-28-2010, 10:39 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member #3401
changed fuelfilter awhile ago about 2months ago maybe the fuel pump just needs to be replaced it is the original would i have to get a oem?
Old 08-28-2010, 10:49 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
Quote:
changed fuelfilter awhile ago about 2months ago maybe the fuel pump just needs to be replaced it is the original would i have to get a oem?
good luck on that !!..lol..number 1..even if you can find one..thats gonna cost about 200 or more..second..no..you do not need a oem fuel pump..do what i did..go to advanced auto parts..tell them you need a low pressure 12v fuel pump..they are around 40 bucks..their round..i think they are about 4 psi..somewhere around that ??..they fit perfect into the same holder..only thing you will have to do..is redo your fuel lines..they will be different angles and so forth..but..for the price..you can't beat it !..oh..and you will need to cut off the leads from your old fuel pump..and splice them into your new fuel pump..use butt conectors..they work great.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:22 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member #3401
Thanks for all the help Shadetree i just can't understand why this is a intermitten thing, you really seem to think it is a fuel issue though? like i said before when i reach down and pull up the shift lever by hand just before it goes into gear it will stall. i can let the shift lever down and it will idle fine> What I'm saying is that i don't put it in gear but just before.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Search tags for this page
1986 honda fourtrax 350 4x4 stalls goinginto gear
1986 honda fourtrax 350 stalls going into gear
1986 honda trx 350 4x4 starts but dies when you put ir in gear
1987 honda fourtrax 250 stalling while in gear
1987 honda fourtrax shuts off when in gear then runs in nutral
1987 honda trx 350

38710-ha7-671

87hondatrx350startsstalls
honda 1986 fourtrax 350 4x4 stalls when put in gear
honda fourtrax trx 350 engine dies in gear
how to repair honda 350 trx stalling problem
used part atv control unit 38710-ha7-671
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.