Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2010, 07:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member #4338
View Shaky's Photo Gallery(0)
Multiple issues with Foreman 400

Howdy, did a quick search and couldnt really find much like my problems, so here goes:

99 foreman 400, has been backfiring a lot as of late, took the dump screw out of the spark arrestor and revved it up, blew a lot of junk out. Seemed to help.
Battery keeps draining, wont hold a charge for more than a day or two even while sitting and not running, battery is new and checks out good. Here of late when you start it (after charging) it runs rough as heck, almost like a timing issue, bogs down when you give it gas and dies. Had a buddy come by the other day and while it was doing this he hit the light switch to on and it idled perfectly and you could rev it up, did this for about 5 minutes and then it just died. Checked for spark, and sometimes we would get one and sometimes not, checked the coil and its good.
All fuses are good and carb is cleaned. Where do I go from here????

thanks

Shaky
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 08-01-2010, 07:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member #3442
View rancher11's Photo Gallery(0)
it could be a timing issue. does it smoke?

Teddy Roosevelt once said "if you live in america learn to speak english and be american"
rancher11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 07:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member #4338
no smoke at all.

I was thinking a dead short somewhere (at least causing the battery to drain) But when he hit the headlight switch to on and it ran great, Im now thinking something else that could tie it all in together, battery, rough idle, missparking???? Just fairly ignorant and dont have a good manual yet (its on the way, I live in the boonies) Could it be the CDI?
Old 08-01-2010, 07:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member #3442
View rancher11's Photo Gallery(0)
you got a good spark plug? could be a short, im not an expert, sounds like there is a bunch of problems.

Teddy Roosevelt once said "if you live in america learn to speak english and be american"
rancher11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 07:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
View Helmut's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 8 times
My guess is a bad or shorted regulator/rectifier. Try charging your battery up to a full charge and put it back in and test the voltage of the battery with the engine running. Start the engine and turn the headlight on. Now, use a voltmeter to test the battery voltage. The voltage should be 14.7-15.5 volts at 5,000 RPM. If it tests out of spec, do the regulator/rectifier test as shown below.

Click the image to open in full size.

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Helmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 08:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
View shadetree's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 90 times
as helmut said..could be your reg/rec not charging your battery..buttttt..keep in mind..if your c.d.i or stator is bad..this will cause you to have elec issues too !..soo..check all of your wires..reg/rec..battery for a dead cell ?..stator..to see if it's putting out enough voltage ?..soo much comes into play when it comes to making a atv engine run. if you don't have the right voltage...air..spark..fuel..compression...it won't run right at all..if one thing is out of adjustment..this will cause a chain reaction.
shadetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 08:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
He said the battery drains, even when the ATV isn't running, so he has a short to ground somewhere. I would bet it's in the regulator/rectifier, but I could be wrong.

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
View shadetree's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 90 times
or just a bad battery..lol. either it's bad..or something is on and draining it..i'm betting a bad battery.
shadetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 08:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetree View Post
or just a bad battery..lol. either it's bad..or something is on and draining it..i'm betting a bad battery.
Yeah, it could be.

Old 08-01-2010, 08:55 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member #4338
Battery is practically brand new. In fact its the second one I got, the first one I purchased wouldnt take a charge at all, so the parts store charged this one up and exchanged it for me. Took it back in and they tested it fine.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Search tags for this page
1997 honda foreman 400 starts and runs but bogs down when you give it gas

1998 honda foreman 400 regulator problems

1999 honda foreman 400 battery

99 honda foreman 400 forum

honda foreman 400 battery

honda foreman 400 problems

honda foreman 400 wont start

honda foreman voltage regulator problems

trx400rectifierproblem to much voltage

voltage regulator for 1997 honda 400 foreman

will my 2000 foreman run without battery

will my honda 400 run without the rectifier

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.