Honda ATV Forum banner

rusted, stuck, hard to remove bolts ?...then you need a propane torch !

14K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  kentco 
#1 ·
Hey gang, I thought I would toss this out there for all you atv owners that run across a hard to remove bolt, nut ?. if it won't move very good from the normal turning ?..then you can bet your bottom dollar..it will not move ?..or will snap off !..lol. so people..here is another fine tool you need to have handy around your work area !. A PROPANE TORCH !!. I use MAP gas yellow bottle, it burns hotter than the blue bottle propane torches !. and it works fast in my book. you can buy this for about 9 bucks or so at any hardware store. I buy mine at lowes. wal-mart carries the blue bottle kind ?..but I like the MAP gas better. I can not tell you how many times this tool has saved my butt from stuck, seized , broken off bolts, studs, nuts won't budge ?..you name it !. this is a MUST HAVE TOOL IN YOUR WORK AREA !. buy it, try it, I bet you will love it !.

Reactions: spiercev
#2 ·
Shade, here are more good things to keep handy for rusted stubborn nuts and bolt.
A bar of soap, for one,
as your going be cursing a lot, so can use to wash your mouth out after you broke and snapped a few bolts off. LOL
Next I found them hammer impact tools good too, the simple deal, you place what ever head on it and hit it with a hammer, seen them work many time, all the better with some heat!
A curse jar isn't a bad idea either. Helps pay for the broken nuts and bolts LOL

#4 ·
I have one of those MAPP torches with the automatic ignitor , I love it , it is my weapon of choice for lighting the fire pit regularly , the crawfish / fish burner and the fire place ( about 2 times a year) ------- when I am dealing with big bolts the oxy/acc torch with a rose bud tip is the thing , but when I am working on small bolts and nuts the rose bud is over kill , so I will put one of the brazing tips on the torch and I can pin point control where the heat goes a lot better ---------- the thing to learn about heating stuff up is when is enough , enough and not over doing it

#5 ·
Exhaust Studs

For exhaust studs I found oxy is needed with you fuel of choice. Heat until the surface is starting to run as a liquid then get on it with the vice grips. You will hear a squeak. As the bolts cools you will need to reheat and repeat. Often the threads are in perfect condition.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.