Kentco, et al.,
I have a 2012 Rancher 420FPE (electric shift). While plowing snow in February, the ES started acting up. Here are the symptoms and what I've done since:
1. Wouldn't go from 1st to 2nd gear, but would go into reverse (in fact, when placing it in reverse, it would jump from directly from 1 to R with one push on down button).
2. A couple times, if I could get it to 2nd or 3rd and ride around a bit, then everything would work well until the next time I started the machine.
3. Then, when trying to shift into 1st, it would click as if it were going into first--and the 1 would appear on the screen--but then drop back to neutral ("N").
4. Pressing the up shift button several times, I could eventually get it into first.
5. Now, it will only go into reverse or neutral, no forward shifting.
6. I pulled, cleaned, and reassembled the shift motor.
7. Also pulled the cover the shift motor is mounted to in order to check the gears, etc. Nothing broken or worn in there.
So here are my questions:
1. First, I made the mistake of not checking the orientation of the gears under the cover, so what procedure would you recommend in order to get them back in proper places?
2. Once things are back in place--and if nothing changes--what do you think the shifting issue might be?
*Dealer told me it was most likely a battery issue, that the battery was now five years old and ready to be replaced. I charged it (12.5 volts) and still no change in the shifting problem.
*A local, independent ATV repair tech told me this morning it is most likely the shift motor, and that I should just replace it (worn brushes, that sort of thing).
3. I have also read that the shift angle sensor could be the culprit--what do you think? I'm not sure where it is on the 2012 420FPE, but the local tech said it was built into the shift motor.
Anyway, thanks for any help any of you might be able to give to this newbie to the forum.