Fixing Electronic Shift (ES) problems - Page 4 - Honda ATV Forum
Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 1457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Averysm09 View Post
So after what seemed a lifetime, I got my new shift motor. $80 lesson learned. I'm trying to upload a photo of it, but iPhone won't cooperate. Must be the Feds. Anywho, there was a very, very small amount of grease on the grease. I went ahead and loaded the lithium grease in there like it was my job. Rode it around a little, g2g now. Thanks guys. Subject for a new post, oil smelled funny and was a little golden when I just changed it....hmmmm. Should be better now!
Avery, Glad it worked for you.

USFS Motorized Trail Maintenance Volunteer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-22-2016, 12:38 PM

Smile Broken shift spindle? J-B weld

As an update to my problem I was able to get out the little piece using the marine grade J-B weld on the end of the old spindle and putting it back into place and the next day pulled the spindle with the little piece stuck to the end of it. I tried 3 times with some 2 year old original strength J-B weld with no luck, I wasn't able to roughen up the little piece inside the engine case and the marine grade still took to it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WIN_20160522_152338.JPG
Views:	308
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	44321  
post #33 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 11:50 AM

Ok I am new to this and just looking for some help.

I recently purchased a 2000 Honda rancher 350 TE and I am having trouble with the shifting of the fourwheeler. When I turn the key on, no codes flash or anything, and you can shift through all gears with fourwheeler off, both up and down. Now when I start the thing and start running through the gears, if I don't give it full throttle and just "putt" through the gears everything is fine, it will shift both up and down. but if I get into fourth gear and throttle wide open, it won't allow me to shift into fifth, or back down into third, I have to turn the fourwheeler off and turn it back on and everything goes back to normal, it is not an intermittent problem, it does this every time. I read on one forum where someone said the angle sensor being bad would cause this, mine wasn't coding bad, but I went ahead and changed it.

The speedometer does not work, and when the wire connectors are plugged together for the speedometer, my gear position doesn't read, but if I unplug the speedometer, the gear position will read correctly.

I know this is a long shot but I am very frustrated and figure it cant hurt but to try and ask others with loads more knowledge then I have on these things..

Thank you all for taking the time to read my thread and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bryce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 08:12 PM

Liked: 5 times
Red face very late reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentco View Post
So did you get it lubed and working?
i took motor apart, every time i got it tight when i put it back together, it was binding. i could see wear on the inside that should not have been there. i got an e-bay one that is working so far. i got to learn more about proper grease for different areas. one grease definitely does not fit all. i already knew that, just not enough.

Sum humor adds up.
" what a good giff, the good lord gee us, not to see ourselves, as others see us" Scottish proverb..
2000 450esTRX
2 grasshog 4x4s
post #35 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 06:51 AM

I have 2016 Rubicon w/ 21 hours, I have had this prob with the fault malfunction - flashing,it want shift into gear, makes no sound,I turn it on and off , rock it back and forth, not temp sensitive,if it does go into gear then it goes into fault - then its in gear and want restart with - flashing, took it in to my dealer thought was still in warranty, It was out by 8 days, my fault thinking thats just part of dealing with the es, The dealer said the oxygen sensor was making it go into fault mode ,flashing -, I didn't believe it,still Dont believe thats what was wrong, t They said they were going try and get Honda do goodwill, said they would cover it that the atv still looked new,I even took my cover because they set them outside untill they work on them,its never been in the mud or even rained on. got it back working then next day it stopped, found manual on line did the dia, it has code 42, when thru all the connections etc, reset the computer , it clicked about 2 times then went back to fault 42, called Honda they said I need take it back, they wold document i, They acted like they were the one that would authorize the good will warranty after the dealer ck's it out.Then Honda said it was up to the dealer and the locall Honda regional rep named Sam to do a goodwill warranty, with it being out of warranty Im betting they want cover it, especially after guessing at the oxygen sensor. im guessing its in the harness,shift motor/sen,ecm. Ive read the angle sensor could cause it but with the code 42?

what do youall think?

Im guessing Ill end up having to fix it myself, going thru the steps in the manual.etc.

Thanks for any help

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	zzzzzzIMG_3119 (Medium).jpg
Views:	264
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	55146   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2318 (Medium) (2).JPG
Views:	278
Size:	271.5 KB
ID:	55154  

Last edited by StripPoker388; 10-14-2016 at 07:43 AM.
post #36 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 03:30 PM

Kentco, et al.,

I have a 2012 Rancher 420FPE (electric shift). While plowing snow in February, the ES started acting up. Here are the symptoms and what I've done since:

1. Wouldn't go from 1st to 2nd gear, but would go into reverse (in fact, when placing it in reverse, it would jump from directly from 1 to R with one push on down button).

2. A couple times, if I could get it to 2nd or 3rd and ride around a bit, then everything would work well until the next time I started the machine.

3. Then, when trying to shift into 1st, it would click as if it were going into first--and the 1 would appear on the screen--but then drop back to neutral ("N").

4. Pressing the up shift button several times, I could eventually get it into first.

5. Now, it will only go into reverse or neutral, no forward shifting.

6. I pulled, cleaned, and reassembled the shift motor.
7. Also pulled the cover the shift motor is mounted to in order to check the gears, etc. Nothing broken or worn in there.

So here are my questions:

1. First, I made the mistake of not checking the orientation of the gears under the cover, so what procedure would you recommend in order to get them back in proper places?

2. Once things are back in place--and if nothing changes--what do you think the shifting issue might be?

*Dealer told me it was most likely a battery issue, that the battery was now five years old and ready to be replaced. I charged it (12.5 volts) and still no change in the shifting problem.

*A local, independent ATV repair tech told me this morning it is most likely the shift motor, and that I should just replace it (worn brushes, that sort of thing).

3. I have also read that the shift angle sensor could be the culprit--what do you think? I'm not sure where it is on the 2012 420FPE, but the local tech said it was built into the shift motor.

Anyway, thanks for any help any of you might be able to give to this newbie to the forum.

Sincerely,

HCSMAN
post #37 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 08:00 PM
Wsg

Liked: 26 times
When reinstalling the gears there is a 2 marks to align the arm. Make sure you clean all old grease out and only use lithium when regreasing and make sure bearing are fine as well. Get your battery load tested if you need a battery get it. If your battery load tests ok then it will be good for now. Some have said it's easier to winch the front up in the air to assist in reassembly. After these steps let us know the results

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #38 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 07:53 PM

Liked: 5 times
shifter moter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedFTed View Post
Quote:
i took motor apart, every time i got it tight when i put it back together, it was binding. i could see wear on the inside that should not have been there. i got an e-bay one that is working so far. i got to learn more about proper grease for different areas. one grease definitely does not fit all. i already knew that, just not enough.
my e-pray shifter motor is in the way out. made in china. should have payed more attention about original parts, made in japan. lesson learned the wallet way. the school, of hard knocks, is the only school, is the only school where you start paying attention. //Ed ;~}
it almost made a year...

Sum humor adds up.
" what a good giff, the good lord gee us, not to see ourselves, as others see us" Scottish proverb..
2000 450esTRX
2 grasshog 4x4s
post #39 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 08:02 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 1945 times
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
my e-pray shifter motor is in the way out. made in china. should have payed more attention about original parts, made in japan. lesson learned the wallet way. the school, of hard knocks, is the only school, is the only school where you start paying attention. //Ed ;~}
it almost made a year...
can't even count how many times I keep saying...DONT BUY CHINA CHIT !..LMAO.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '05 trx500fm
post #40 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 10:11 AM

Thanks for this thread kentco....after doing this my Honda shifting better then ever

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode