Fixing Electronic Shift (ES) problems - Page 2 - Honda ATV Forum
Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 08:04 AM
Supporting Member

Liked: 512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LedFTed View Post
my shift motor did not have any grease. when i loosened motor to look at armature drive gear was easier to turn, when i tightened was binding. i got new motor, worked after that. leave it to me to find the odd problem. i spent hours going through wiring. least they got dielectric grease on connectors now. //Ed
That's interesting. I had what I think is the same issue yesterday working on this 420AT. It was kinda shifting, but would throw error code 22 more often than not between every gear. I took the motor off and inspected it, and when I put it back together it wouldn't shift at all. I figured it was bound up, took it back off, turned the gears a little, and put it back on and it's doing a little better, but still throws the 22 code about every other shift.

I am NOT liking the ES stuff. My footshifts don't have these problems. The ONLY reason I'm messing with an ES machine is because the wife wanted an automatic and I found this 420AT close by.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 1457 times
Jeep, I left an answer for you on your other thread.

USFS Motorized Trail Maintenance Volunteer
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentco View Post
So did you get it lubed and working?
Kentco, you're the man! I'm going to try this either this afternoon or the next. Located on the front of the engine? the side? Doesn't sound too difficult, think I'll just have to google the location and what it looks like. Hopefully not too much plastic has to come off for the 2016 Ranchers.

Shawn Avery

**2016 Red Honda Rancher 420 4x4 AT DCT IRS - mine
-26" Kenda Executioners
-ITP steel wheels
-3500lb SuperWinch
**2016 Blue Honda Rancher 420 4x4 AT DCT - wife's
-25" Kenda Bear Claws
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 1457 times
Avery, Please don't use google. Otherwise, you'll be burdened by future 'pfishing' (from google) as well as malware from their advertisers.

The shift motor is located on the lower front of your engine. No plastic (or anything else) has to come off. The easiest way to get to it is if you have a winch. If you do, pull your atv into the garage. Connect your winch cable to an overhead rafter, and pull the front end of your Rancher up so that the atv is standing on it's rear wheels. Good luck, it's an easy (yet, very effective) project.
Best Regards,
Kent

USFS Motorized Trail Maintenance Volunteer
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentco View Post
Avery, Please don't use google. Otherwise, you'll be burdened by future 'pfishing' (from google) as well as malware from their advertisers.

The shift motor is located on the lower front of your engine. No plastic (or anything else) has to come off. The easiest way to get to it is if you have a winch. If you do, pull your atv into the garage. Connect your winch cable to an overhead rafter, and pull the front end of your Rancher up so that the atv is standing on it's rear wheels. Good luck, it's an easy (yet, very effective) project.
Best Regards,
Kent
I appreciate the help! One last question I swear. I'm searching for this magical "all temperature white lithium grease" and am getting a very wide range of results. Between aerosols (I don't see how that'll help) and bottles and tubs. Which brand, size tube, did you use and where did you buy it. I was going to run by AutoZone on the way back to the house this afternoon, but you can't usually trust them to be much help.

Thanks again!

Shawn Avery

-26" Kenda Executioners
-ITP steel wheels
-3500lb SuperWinch
-25" Kenda Bear Claws
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 01:49 PM

Liked: 1 times
Kentco posted this in another thread. Should help. I'll be doing this to mine as well, hopefully this weekend.

Here is what your shift motor and gear box looks like... You should be able to find it without opening up your manual: Click on: > ...lectedIndex=13 - Bing images

Here's what the White Lithium Grease looks like: http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-80345...lithium+grease

or http://www.amazon.com/Gunk-L666-Whit...lithium+grease
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 04:34 PM

Liked: 40 times
Check it out.
http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/...6909#sch908766

JESUS is Lord.
Its not the machine so much as it was the "times". 1983.
Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVQrThtnGqA

Last edited by ATC4ever; 05-02-2016 at 05:45 AM.
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 04:37 PM

Liked: 40 times
This way to find it.

JESUS is Lord.
Its not the machine so much as it was the "times". 1983.
Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVQrThtnGqA

Last edited by ATC4ever; 05-27-2016 at 07:30 PM.
post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 05:31 PM

Liked: 139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATC4ever View Post
Guys i could be wrong, but if the 16 is the same as the 15, then the shift motor gear is oil bathed. Same as the new Rubicon. Check it out.
http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/...6909#sch908766
Hi: No there is grease on them gears.
ATC4ever likes this.

2011 Honda TRX420FPA PG CTE camo EPS
Auto & Electric Shift -- IRS -- Programmed Fuel Injection
25" Kenda K587 Bear Claws HTR
Garmin Montana 600 Ram mount & Rugged mount
2500 Runva Winch
Winter Pak Plus 2/4 Zone Thumb & Hand Warmers

If all the animals run in one direction follow them.

If you can't soar with the Eagles, then run with the Chickens.
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATC4ever View Post
This way to find it.

That is a good diagram ATC, thanks!

On a sunnier not, I just got inside from ruining my shift motor. I obviously have no idea what I was doing and had no business trying this myself I guess. I don't consider myself a mechanic, but I am fairly mechanically inclined. I really hope that they aren't too expensive.

BTW, the 2016 has SO MUCH stuff in the way. I took off the main bottom skidplate to gain better access to the shift motor and it was still a pain to get too. When I replace it, I may have to take more plastic off. I have no idea how you guys are getting to it without doing it.

**Here's what smart me did!**

1) Don't have a winch currently installed so lift it by myself and set it on it's hind end. A lot heavier than it looks.
2) Realized my fat forearms weren't going to fit where the motor was (easy to find by sight by the way, you were right) I started taking the (7 I think, some had already fallen out on the trails I guess) bolts holding on the main skidplate.
3) I started to fight with the inner fender guards using a small socket wrench and 10mm socket (I found 3 bolts holding it on)
4) Proceeded to fight with the electrical connection (this is my life, I'm almost certain you all didn't have this much trouble).
5) I got it off, and started looking at it and where it came from. In my mind, surely you guys weren't going deeper into the trans, so I proceeded to take out the two allen bolts holding the motor together.
6) Got the motor open, and I was just too excited I guess to think, wondered "hmmmm where is all the gummy grease?" Applied white lithium grease. Lots of white lithium grease. Lots.
7) Realized after I put the two allen bolts back in to close up the motor that I had just cuffed up, big time. Don't know why that was the first time this whole time that I thought....about anything. Put it all back together anyway.
8) Didn't put the skid plate back on, and didn't put it back on all 4s knowing that if it didn't do what I wanted that I would just have to pick it back up again.
9) Turned key on, and no 'N'. All I got was a morse code type error.
2 long -, followed by 4 quick flashing
--- --- - - - -

So questions are as follows (please don't beat me up too much, I've beat myself up enough I think):
- Does anyone know that error code off hand?
- What the heck else was I supposed to take off of the engine to do this? I don't see a way that i can even get back any further than I did.

You all made it sound so easy.......

Thank you all in advance, you've been a great help thus far.

Shawn Avery

-26" Kenda Executioners
-ITP steel wheels
-3500lb SuperWinch
-25" Kenda Bear Claws

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode