Honda ATV Forum banner

TRX90 Hesitation / stall

7K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Helmut 
#1 ·
I just bough a 2003 TRX90 for my son. It idles smoothly, and starts on the 1st or 2nd pull, and runs good through the RPM range. However, it will consistently try to stall if I open the throttle up too fast from idle. If I ease into the throttle, it runs great. If I peg it, and hold it from idle- it dies. If I let off, it will catch and continue to run.

I have replaced the carb with a brand new one - absolutely no effect. Tuning the idle and mixture screws has not helped. I have cleaned the spark plug and changed the inline fuel filter- also no effect.

The engine does not smoke, and the oil looks good.

Could this be a CDI starting to fail? Bad spark plug cap? Wrong spark plug gap? I already wasted money on a carb, and don't want to keep replacing good parts...

ideas?

(anybody need a carburetor?)

#2 ·
I'm not as mechanically inclinded as the rest of the guys so I can't tell you the problem, but I remember when i had my 90 it would stall if you immediately push the throttle as far as it would go. I never found myself in a situation out on a trail where i would need that kind of rapid throttle reponse, so I just said to hell with it and rode it. Mine was an 03 and was purchased brand new and it did the same thing right off the show room floor, so common sense would tell me it is not that big a deal, but i wouldn't trust my judgement. All I can say is i had the same problems and it never affected the performance of the machine.

#3 ·
Thanks for the info. the guy I bought it from told me the same thing, but I figured he was just trying to sell it! I've ridden Honda's since I was 7 years old, and never had one do this that didn't need something, but this one had me stumped. I'll sleep better now. :D

#5 ·
Agree ^^^^^^^.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.