Honda ATV Forum banner

how to wire your starter's and battery

85K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  XENA 
#1 ·
ok..seems a lot of ppl lately are having problems on how to wire up a battery to their starter solenoid then to the starter ?..sooo..I drew up a quick pic to show how to route the wires. i'm in noooooo means an artist !!!..lmfaoo..but it's pretty simple to understand for anyone trying to wire up their battery to their starters :).

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: Dustman1
#4 ·
good diagram hopefully people will actually use the search button!!
thats no art this is true art lol

Attachments

#6 ·
jgrem77 Yes it is ok to do that BUT a battery charger will not give the amperage necessary to operate the starting system correctly so it wont really work for troubleshooting. If your battery will hold a little bit of charge it might work to hook the charger to the battery with it connected to the quad but not with just the charger.

#10 ·
Ok so I'm new to the atv world I took my 03 ex out an battery fell out I got a new bl batter but when I turn my key switchon I'll a get is the green light no click over but when I take my positive wire an place it on other side of relay I get continuous power even with key off the positive wire an red wire r on left side of relay an the wire to starter on right side please anyone I need help

#11 ·
Shade tree, I have a 95 Fourtrax 300. I cleaned out my battery compartment and must have bumped two small wires when moving the battery. The yellow red and the green red wires are not connected. I see by your diagram, they are connected to the solenoid, but where/how? There a small bolt with a nut on the side? Are they connected together. I'm lost, bike was running fine, now it won't start. Thanks in advance. Citywaterman

#12 ·
Your solenoid has two small wires with a plug coming out of it, plus two large posts with nuts and washers on them. Your two broken wires in your harness had a plug on them... that missing plug connects to the solenoid plug. Check your new thread where you just asked about this for more information and a link to the service manual... Fun hint: Wiring diagrams are found in the back of every Honda service manual. :)

#13 ·
ok..seems a lot of ppl lately are having problems on how to wire up a battery to their starter solenoid then to the starter ?..sooo..I drew up a quick pic to show how to route the wires. i'm in noooooo means an artist !!!..lmfaoo..but it's pretty simple to understand for anyone trying to wire up their battery to their starters :).
Thank you ! Helped me out a lot. I was screwing up thinking there was another ground coming off the Neg. from the battery. Neg. from battery goes straight to the starter (ground) bolt.

#16 ·
Hey I just ran new wirers from new ignition switch to push button and to starter ,battery starter relay I've got a nutrual lite and it started but when I put it back to gather now I'm not getting fire ,and the switch has different colors than the old one and the relay switch also different colors

#17 ·
It sounds like you may have wired the new ignition switch incorrectly. I would recommend referring to the ATV starter solenoid wiring diagram to ensure that the wires are connected properly. If you are unsure of which wires go where, you may want to consult a professional mechanic or an ATV repair manual for guidance.

Additionally, it is possible that there may be an issue with the starter relay or the starter itself. You may want to check these components to ensure that they are functioning properly. If you are unable to diagnose the issue on your own, it may be best to take your ATV to a mechanic for further inspection.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.