Honda ATV Forum banner

Can't shift into reverse

5K views 9 replies 2 participants last post by  Helmut 
#1 ·
My 2005 350 rancher es will not go into reverse without using the emergency shifter. What is the problem? I noticed the speedometer shows me moving when I am in neutral. This started not long before the electronic shift quit going into reverse. All forward gears work fine.

PLEASE HELP

#2 ·
#4 ·
Somewhere around $60 at the Honda dealer. That's the price at my local dealer, anyway.

Unplug it and clean the terminals good, first, and see if it works. Sometimes the plug can get dirty and corroded.

#6 ·
I can't remember for sure, but it should either have a little tab on the plug that either pushes down or pulls up and then the plug should just pull off. Sometimes they are hard to get off where they have been on there for a while and dirt gets under them. You may have to pull and wiggle side to side as you pull it off. Sometimes they can be pretty hard to get off.

Here is the procedure for checking the angle sensor if you want to check it before you replace it. This is out of the 2000-2003 manual, but I would say it would be the same for yours.

#7 ·
Thanks for the help Helmut. I'm not to mechanically inclined, so I broke down and called the local shop. They quoted me $140 for the part and install. I guess I'll just bite the bullet and spend the cash to make sure it's done right. Hopefully they don't find another problem.

#8 ·
You're welcome. Good luck, I hope everything goes well for you.

#10 ·
That's great, glad you got it fixed without going to the shop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.