Honda ATV Forum banner

Hondamatic Continuously Variable Transmission Operating Principles

60K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  York_v45 
#1 · (Edited)
I don't think there's a lot of people that know the operating principles of the Hondamatic CVT trannys, myself included, so I thought I would post this link to a good read on the Hondamatic CVT. This is the transmission that the Rancher 400AT and the Rubicon 500 use. This is not the type of transmission that the Rancher 420AT or the Rincon uses. The 420AT uses a completely different type of auto tranny that incorporates a dual clutch system and the Rincon uses an automotive style tranny.

2001 Honda Rubicon Hondamatic hydraulic transmission

#5 ·
Yeah, that's probably because you can't gear it down to bring the engine RPMs up, like you can a foot shift.

#7 ·
Now i have the bike working, Dose any one rebuild then or use the old ones for cores? I'm tempted to dismantle this one to see what the fault is for its not apparent looking at it?
:)
I don't know much about the Hondamatic trannys, but I hear their non repairable because you can't get the parts to service them with.

#11 ·
I have a 03 350ES that is hanging up in gears up and down. Anybody REALLY know whats causing it and the cure? Changed to new battery, and checked the oil. No luck!
Welcome to the forums. Will it shift gears using the emergency shifter? Also, when you turn the key on, does the gear position indicator flash?

#16 ·
Excellent and informative links, Helmut. Those two articles were essential in helping me understand how the Hondamatic tranny works and the function of the angle sensor and what all the "swashplate" talk was about.

It also underscores the need to keep clean, fresh oil in this engine.

Thanks!

Melsman

#17 ·
You're welcome, glad they were helpful. And welcome to the forums.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.