How to set and adjust valves ( any 4 stroke motor ) ! - Honda ATV Forum
Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-19-2013, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 1716 times
How to set and adjust valves ( any 4 stroke motor ) !

We seem to be seeing alot of members joining..or already here ?..and buying..getting thier hands on ?..lol..an atv..then they ask us..ok..i bought..begged..barrowed my buddies atv ?!..lol..and now i need to adjust the valves...because it's making a loud tapping noise !..ok..maybe even a slight ticking noise ?..lol. well..the main thing i'm seeing..is when eveyone get's done with thier valve adjusting..then they come back and say..'' hey..i adjusted my valves..and not only is it louder now '' ?..but it won't even start '' !. ok..well..this is simple folks..when you did your valve adjusting ?..and you thought you had your piston on top dead center ?..you more than likely had the piston on top dead center on the exhaust stroke !!.
and now your asking me..how do i know the difference ????..right ???..lol. simple..this is a golden rule i learned many..many moons ago !!..( and yes..if you searched alittle..this has been covered many times here ! )..when you think you have the piston on the compression stroke to set the valves ??..do this...turn the crank backwards..as your doing this..watch the intake valves...if they start to move any when you are turning the crank ?..then turn the crank back the other way...until you see the index on the flywheel line back up where you first had it..then set your valves. iffffffffff..for some reason when you start to turn the crank backwards from where you first started..and the intake valves never moves at all ??..then turn the crank back to where you first started on the index...then keep turning it all the way around..until that same index line ..lines back up inside the case and flywheel...now your piston is on TDC on the compression storke !. again..always...always turn the crank backwards from when you first start..if the intake valves start to move when you do this ?..then you had it right to begin with..just turn the crank back the other way..until your index is back on the line/marks..set your valves..button everything back up..all done !. ifffff they never move ?..then you go back to the index..keep turning..all the way around..index lines up..piston is on TDC..set the valves..button it up..all done !. added : seems I forgot how to tell you to turn the crank backwards ? ( sorry..i'm old..and thank you.. to a member here for pointing this out that I left this part out here ). if you have a pull starter rope ?, remove the pull starter rope cover, now you can use the 17mm center bolt with a 17mm ratchet and socket to turn the crank backwards :-).

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '83 cx650c , '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho

Last edited by shadetree; 11-27-2015 at 09:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 09:26 PM

Liked: 1 times
dont ever adjust the valves unless the engine is stone cold, or ull just be takin all that shit off and doin it all over again
nickandnicole250x likes this.

AINT NO PLACE LIKE DIXIE!

GO HONDA OR GO HOME!

06' honda foreman 500 4x4
hmf pipe
170 main jet
2'' snorkel
UNI air filter
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 06:11 AM
Supporting Member

Liked: 269 times
And get a feeler gage that is bent at the end to make setting the proper gap easier. Using a straight feeler gage on these engines is going to give you a bogus valve setting.

Rick

2006 Green Honda Foreman 500 - Viper Elite Winch
2004 Yellow Honda 250ex - Grandson's Bike
1971 School Bus Yellow "Spaghetti" Harley-D Sprint 350
1972 Candy Yellow Honda CL100 K2
1972 Candy Jet Green Honda CB500
1973 Mighty Green Honda ST90 K0
1974 Mars Orange Honda CT90 K5
1975 Topaz Orange Honda ST90 K2
1976 Shiny Orange Honda CT90
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 06:29 AM

Liked: 8 times
Just did my 05 Rancher 350. It was super easy to reach the valves and a my straight feeler gages fit easily. I wish my other toys' valves were so easy to reach. The TDC mark is a PITA to see on this machine. Honda couldn't have made it much harder to see if they'd tried.

Btw, a way to confirm that you're on TDC on the correct stroke is to wiggle the rocker arms with your fingers to confirm that they both have a little bit of play. They shouldn't be touching the valve stems at TDC, so there "should" be a tiny gap.
Another way is to remove the spark plug and stick a small rod or stick in to feel if the piston is at the top of it's stroke.

05' & 07' 4x4 FM Ranchers
KTM300, XT225, & PC800 2-wheelers

http://www.firedancersglass.com/
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-09-2014, 09:14 PM

Liked: 1 times
Shadetree, you need to take some English classes bro!
nickandnicole250x likes this.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-09-2014, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonyman View Post
nope...don't need to..seems to me..everyone that reads this post..has no trouble understanding it ??..soooooooo..what makes you think I need English classes ??..lmaooo.
dwint likes this.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '83 cx650c , '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-10-2014, 01:48 AM

Liked: 105 times
Quote:
this is a forum not english class!!

atc 70, atc 90,atc 110 2x trx 250,88,89,96 trx 300, 92 &00 300 fw, atc 250

big bear 350 4x4,big bear 2x4 timberwolf 250 2x4, ytm 225dr 85 ytm 200ERN

klf 300 bayou,prairie 250, klf 185 bayou

suzuki quadrunner 250
Get your free manual here
http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums...all-years.html
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-10-2014, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakep53 View Post
Quote:
this is a forum not english class!!
^5 bro..well said !. we don't need the typo police around here to understand atv's !..lmaooo.
dwint likes this.

post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-10-2014, 09:02 AM
Supporting Member

Liked: 428 times
Quote:
As someone who is known among my friends as the resident grammar nazi, what Shadetree wrote was not only completely understandable, but was quite helpful.

This isn't a job application or a resume; it's a freaking how-to for adjusting valves on a four wheeler.

When someone is trying to help me or others, I tend to overlook grammar, spelling, and syntax, and appreciate the fact that they are taking the time and putting forth the effort to help others.

Stop being a jackmonkey and appreciate the fact that Shadetree is on here helping people.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-10-2014, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepwm69 View Post
Quote:
As someone who is known among my friends as the resident grammar nazi, what Shadetree wrote was not only completely understandable, but was quite helpful.

This isn't a job application or a resume; it's a freaking how-to for adjusting valves on a four wheeler.

When someone is trying to help me or others, I tend to overlook grammar, spelling, and syntax, and appreciate the fact that they are taking the time and putting forth the effort to help others.

Stop being a jackmonkey and appreciate the fact that Shadetree is on here helping people.
thank's bro !. there is always someone that wants to be a jerk !.lol.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode