How to set and adjust valves ( any 4 stroke motor ) ! - Page 3 - Honda ATV Forum
Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 07:03 PM

Liked: 2 times
Anyone have the adjustment settings for my 2000 Honda trx 300ex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-15-2016, 07:33 PM

How to set and adjust valves ( any 4 stroke motor ) !-image.jpeg

Here is the way to find TDC on TRX300fx

Use a flashlight to look inside the left hole to see a "T on its side" lined up with the index arrow inside the case while you rotate the starter reduction shaft counter clockwise (hole on the right with the driver handle in it) Access is accomplished by removing the plug covers with a large screwdriver. The starter reduction shaft needs a 25 Torx bit.

Ensure engine is on compression stroke and not exhaust stroke.

1994 TRX300FW

Last edited by aggiejet; 10-16-2016 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Adding comment about compression/exhaust stroke.
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-15-2016, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 1883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiejet View Post
Attachment 55306

Use a flashlight to look inside the left hole to see a "T on its side" lined up with the index arrow inside the case while you rotate the starter reduction shaft counter clockwise (hole on the left with the driver handle in it) Access is accomplished by removing the plug covers with a large screwdriver. The starter reduction shaft needs a 25 Torx bit.
ummm..yeah you will get TDC alright, but..will it be on compression stroke ?, or exhaust stroke ?. must be on compression stroke..big difference !.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '05 trx500fm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-15-2016, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 316 times
Garage
Another simple way is to remove the spark plug put your finger over the plug hole and bump the starter or turn the flywheel by socket until you feel air pushing on your finger, then using a long dowel rod or screw driver stick it in the plug hole and slowly turn the crank until the piston is at the top of the cylinder and the "-"by the T is aligned with the notch in the cover.
shadetree and jay10 like this.

"MOOSE WAGON "
00 TRX400EX aka "MOOSE ROCKET"
91 TRX250X aka "MOOSE WAGON" RETIRED
96 Polaris 400L sport (Mrs. Moose Ride)
07 Suzuki LTZ250 (Sons)
96 Polaris 250 Trail Blazer (daughters)
06 TRX450ER aka === Under construction

Progress and Help
PM FOR MANUAL HELP
JETTING
Service_Manual_Downloads
2000_400EX_Build
400EX_Pivot_Bolt_
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-15-2016, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRX2fiveO View Post
Another simple way is to remove the spark plug put your finger over the plug hole and bump the starter or turn the flywheel by socket until you feel air pushing on your finger, then using a long dowel rod or screw driver stick it in the plug hole and slowly turn the crank until the piston is at the top of the cylinder and the "-"by the T is aligned with the notch in the cover.
yep..agreed ^^^.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '05 trx500fm
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-16-2016, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetree View Post
Quote:
Attachment 55306

Use a flashlight to look inside the left hole to see a "T on its side" lined up with the index arrow inside the case while you rotate the starter reduction shaft counter clockwise (hole on the left with the driver handle in it) Access is accomplished by removing the plug covers with a large screwdriver. The starter reduction shaft needs a 25 Torx bit.
ummm..yeah you will get TDC alright, but..will it be on compression stroke ?, or exhaust stroke ?. must be on compression stroke..big difference !.

I posted this in an effort to show people with a similar engine design a different method for manipulating their engine into the proper position, and I did not see this method mentioned anywhere in this forum and I thought it would be educational. It is the method used in the Service manual. I forgot to add to be sure to be on compression stroke and will edit. .

Your original post talks in excellent detail about the process, but on my 94 TRX300fx, the only way I was able to advance the engine was by hitting the starter or by the kick starter. I did the latter by removing the kick starter and laying a piece of baling wire in the splines of the extended shaft and then used a 18mm 12 point socket wrench on the splined shaft. (17mm too small, 18mm too big) I was able to find top dead center using this method coupled with the dowel rod in the spark plug hole technique.

Afterwards, I discovered a Service Manual on YouTube and it showed the technique I described, which I found way easier and to be more accurate.

I don't know how to "Turn the crank backwards" on this Quad, as you mentioned in the original post. I don't think turning the starter reduction shaft clockwise will do anything.

1994 TRX300FW

Last edited by aggiejet; 10-16-2016 at 08:16 AM. Reason: quoting shadetree
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 03:10 PM

Liked: 24 times
Garage
Helpful is good. I have mechanic fear especially on Honda valves. Our dealer here gets pretty good dough for valve adjustment and the service interval is pretty tight. As I have a Silverwing too, I would save a bundle if I had valve confidence. Thanks for the post, shadetree.
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameslb View Post
Helpful is good. I have mechanic fear especially on Honda valves. Our dealer here gets pretty good dough for valve adjustment and the service interval is pretty tight. As I have a Silverwing too, I would save a bundle if I had valve confidence. Thanks for the post, shadetree.
your welcome, I hope I made it easier , and cheaper for ya ?..lol.

post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetree View Post
Quote:
Attachment 55306

I posted this in an effort to show people with a similar engine design a different method for manipulating their engine into the proper position, and I did not see this method mentioned anywhere in this forum and I thought it would be educational. It is the method used in the Service manual. I forgot to add to be sure to be on compression stroke and will edit. .

Your original post talks in excellent detail about the process, but on my 94 TRX300fx, the only way I was able to advance the engine was by hitting the starter or by the kick starter. I did the latter by removing the kick starter and laying a piece of baling wire in the splines of the extended shaft and then used a 18mm 12 point socket wrench on the splined shaft. (17mm too small, 18mm too big) I was able to find top dead center using this method coupled with the dowel rod in the spark plug hole technique.

Afterwards, I discovered a Service Manual on YouTube and it showed the technique I described, which I found way easier and to be more accurate.

I don't know how to "Turn the crank backwards" on this Quad, as you mentioned in the original post. I don't think turning the starter reduction shaft clockwise will do anything.
I have not been in this thread until today ?, but..if you removed the center cap on the left hand side case, you could use the 17mm crank bolt to turn the motor backwards.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode