Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kentco

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2013, 07:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member #32570
View jess6369's Photo Gallery(0)
Rancher 420 AT Shifting problems

Hello,

I have a 2011 Honda Rancher 420 AT 4x4 with 460 miles on it.

It has the auto and electronic shift.

It recently has had trouble shifting from neutral to first when the engine is cold. Now when driving in automatic it will go first, second, and then bang into fourth.

Using the electronic shift, I can shift first through third usally and then it gets buggy and will skip 4th or not go to 5th or just not go in any gear at all and dispay a dash.

I took it for a test drive tonight and it wouldn't get into gear once I got halfway down the driveway and showed a trouble code of "32" which is fail safe relay malfunction. I am attempting to keep shifting it and see what triggers the code again.

I rocked the atv back and forth and got it to shift back to neutral after i got the trouble code and shifted into drive by rocking it again and it was fine after that.

Things I have tried: Cleaned shift motor (wasn't that dirty)

Changed oil. Used rotella 10w 30 synthetic

Changed rear and front diff oil. Used marine quality gear lube. SAE 80

Things I have not tried: Manually shifting and anything with the angle sensors. clutch adjustment

Any guesses or advise is appreciated.

Thanks!
jess6369 is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 07-28-2013, 07:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #16201
View kentco's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 280 times
Jess, since the problem[s] occur when it is shifting automatically, as well as manually (with the ES), it sounds like a transmission problem (and not a problem with the electronic shift). Were you doing anything (that you can remember) when this symptom started occuring?

Without a doubt, you should let your engine/transmission warm up before riding your atv. It is designed to operate at an optimum temperature, and not when cold.

When the Fail Safe Relay kick in, it is because something else is not operating correctly. If that is the case, then I'd suggest that you not continue to try to shift and operate it. Otherwise, you could cause further damage - especially if the problem is in the transmission.
cohugore likes this.

USFS Motorized Trail Maintenance Volunteer
Underwater Videographer
*2011 Rancher 420AT
*2012 Rincon 680

HONDA SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOADS: http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums...all-years.html
**When you go to the above link, scroll down and select the Honda ATV model that you are interested in. Then, the password to download the service manual is: hondaatvforums
kentco is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Search tags for this page

2013 honda 420 rancher at shifting problems

420 rancher fpa shifting problems

420at 30s

honda 420 electronic shift code 32

honda 420 rancher electronic shifter fix

honda 420 rancher recall shifter

honda rancher auto shif fix codes

my honda rancher 420 4x4 at will not go back in neutral

rancher 420 at problems

rancher 420 automatic shifting problem

rancher 420 manual shift problem

rancher 420at wont shift into first

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.