Honda ATV Forum banner

Sea foam use in the engine

148K views 160 replies 94 participants last post by  pocobind 
#1 ·
#34 ·
Dave, the main thing that breaks down motor oil is heat. Water cooled engines also run with much closer tolerances than air cooled engines. Most new cars use 5 W 30 motor oil, try using THAT in your air cooled engine with it's larger clearances and you won't like what happens. None of those additives were made for WET CLUTCHES (clutches that run IN OIL). We had a lot of customers who had Honda Gold Wings when the synthetic oils first came out. They thought they were doing their machines a favor by paying the extra bucks for the expensive oil....until their clutches started slipping and had to have all of the friction plates replaced. There IS a major difference.

#38 ·
I beg to differ. Most newer jap cars run 5w 20 or 0w-20. They are also very soon stocking 0w-10 oil.

I run 0w-40 Full Synthetic in mine, and I don't care what you say, I have all the papers that PROVE that the oil I use runs cooler and IS compatible with wet clutches AND won't break down like conventional motor oil.

You're living in the dinosaur ages my friend. There are plenty of synthetic oil ATV users out there who will disagree with you. The old synthetics are NOTHING like new synthetics. You seem to know a lot about 4 stroke engines, but the way you try to push your opinion, based on SOME truths is quite misleading.

#36 ·
Bob, I've been in the business for over 50 years....since before the Japanese brought decent motorcycles to this country :) I've had dealerships in So. Calif in years past. I'm now mostly retired but still run a small shop out here in the woods. I do a lot of overhauls for local farmers but most buy dead or wounded ATV and restore them for resale....makes me a few extra $$'s to supplement my Social security:)

#40 · (Edited)
I have a laser thermometer for AC work I did on house and truck. They are awesome for any diy toolbox. I pointed it at my 450er and the hottest I've seen is 150. We haven't run the crap out of it yet though.

#42 ·
lol, not 250! 150 degrees! Sorry! :) ha ha. I don't even think 300 is good. I would be willing to bet that most ATV's don't see over 250 unless they are overheating. I mean 600 at the exhaust maybe, but NO WAY is the engine 600. Flashpoint of oil isn't even that high! I just looked in my manual and My 450ER fan turns on at 220 degrees so that explains why my reading was only 150, I thought my fan should have been on when I saw that reading on my ir therm.

I'd bet less than 220 is normal operating temp on my quad, which totally negates this guys incredible claims. :D

#45 ·
No one has to take my word for anything. By all means, use what ever you like in your machines.....it's YOUR money after all. Read what your owner's manual tells you to run in your particular machine....they only designed it. If you want to waste your money and risk YOUR engine using that watery stuff, it's YOUR funeral!

#46 ·
lol, ok Doc. Thanks for the prescription. What are your recommendations on embalming fluid?

#55 ·
very true, there's a lot of flip flopping going on here too, might as well add some shake. :) Seriously though, you are right, I'm done. It's not going anywhere. I actually don't care if they delete all these irrelevant posts.

#57 ·
No offense guys but...

This is getting a little ummm ODD. I never realized that sea foam was a philosophical subject.

#65 ·
????? Help me out with this one. Never heard of it used that way.

#70 ·
oh, funny, because I assumed that you were kidding, but I PROMISE you someone reading that would have tried it! :D :D :D :D

#75 · (Edited)
Let's just drop it....no more comments about it. I just wanted to clear up the battery comment is all. I know that people read the forums without registering, and your comment didn't have any indication of being a joke. Without telling you that it was dumb, and starting another dog piling, I just asked you to explain it further. I wanted to make sure that people reading it didn't try it. :D :D :D

#76 ·
:icon_ cry: