So you want to rebuild your atv ?..then you may want to read this ! - Honda ATV Forum
Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 1703 times
So you want to rebuild your atv ?..then you may want to read this !

Ok, for all you ppl that are thinking of rebuilding your atv motor ?..or anything for that matter !..i thought i'd talk about a few things..just to give you a heads up on what your looking at !!..first off..ALWAYS MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE TOOL'S TO DO THE JOB !!!..don't wait until you start ?..half way into it ?..or anywhere into it ?..and you find out that you can't do something because you don't have the tools to do the job ???!!. i'm going to try my best to cover the basic tools that you will need to start..work on..and complete the motor over haul !, then i will get a little deeper..just so you know you will be set for the rebuild !. sooo..let's begin..shall we ?..first off..have a good set of METRIC wrenches !!..this is about all you will need to work on a honda..or any jap atv..motor cycle..or anything along these lines !. second..have a good metric socket set..a decent size ratchet..a 3/8's will be used alot..but times will show up..when you need for something bigger...and this calls for a 1/2 ratchet..trust me..there is going to be some really tough bolts..castle nuts..whatever ?..that will ruin your day !!. some decent screw drivers..standard and phillips will be needed !. an air impact, 1/2 works best..with some deep well..and short well impact sockets..DO NOT..I REPEAT..DO NOT USE REG SOCKETS WITH AN AIR IMPACT !!!..THIS IS A VERY BIG NO NO !!. make sure you purchase or have a decent air compressor !!..some little 5 gal mushroom compressor won't cut it !!!..you need at least a 15 to 20 gal to work good !. some pliers..channel locks..vise grips..side cutters..just to name a few. ok..now for the spec tools !. you need a valve spring compressor..feeler gauges..honing tool..if your fairly new to engines ??..then i say..buy a bottle brush hone..it's almost dummy proof !...( notice..i said..almost ?!..lol ). flywheel pullers will be needed..you can't split the engine...if you can't get the flywheel or centrifugal clutch off ????..i'm not for sure if the flywheel and clutch will use the same puller ??..i never bother looking !..lol..sooo..keep this in mind when you need to get both off ?. a decent set of allen wrenches..better known as hex keys. get both hand and socket drives for these !!..3/8 hex keyed works great for those hard to reach and turn hex key bolts !. a good bench vise..and it needs to be mounted on a sturdy bench !!..trust me on this !!..lol. there will be times when you need both hands to work on parts ?..and you won't have any way of working the grinder or whatever tool you got in your hands...if your part your working on..needs to be hot ?..welded..whatever ?. a good drill press comes in handy..there will be times you need to drill some tough parts..and a hand drill just don't cut it ?. a decent press comes in handy...for those of you that can afford one ??..and have a place to sit it ?..but i never use one..not at home anyway !..lol. that will be my next big purchase..a press !..lol. anywayyy..you get the idea. you need a differental tool..this is a spec tool that holds the rear or front differental's pinion gear in place..while you zip the nut off the end of the pinion gear..without it ??.your gonna have a baddddddd day !..lol. they are not cheap by any means ??!!.soooo..if you happen to have an old rear drive shaft ?..you can cut the splined end off of the drive shaft..and weld it onto a metal plate..to make your own differental holder tool, just a matter of figuring out the holes..and such..but well worth the time to make this tool !. sometimes we run into a bearing..thats hidden from one side of the case ?..well..this calls for a tool known as a blind bearing remover..and it too..is not cheap !!..soooo..you can try a few ways to remove it ?..either stick it in the freezer ?..or the oven ? ( don't let your wife see you do it !..lmfao.. )..either way..will expand the case..and the bearing ( most times )..will come right out!. supplies : keep grease..atv motor oil..washers..bolts ( metric bolts )..shop towels..kitty litter ( cleans up oil spills alotttttttttt cheaper than floor dry ! )..wd-40..or pb blaster as some like to use ?..all on hand. a parts washer comes in real handy at times !..sooo..think about this tool !. a digital micromiter..yu'll need it to measure the cylinder bore..wrist pin..piston...and alot of other parts that you need to run a spec on ?. a atv floor jack..best dang tool i've ever bought..just got a craftsman atv jack not long ago..and let me tell ya..my back thanks me !..lol. a roll around stool..one with a shelf thing under it...i hate walking all the way over to the bench..and getting a tool i'll need !..lol. a pair of jack stands..these come in handy..when you only need to keep one end of the atv up ?..if it's a 4 wd ?..your better off with a atv floor jack..as you will need all 4 tires off the ground..floor..where ever your working ?. pick up a dremel tool..this ppl..is one of the best..and most used tools i've ever bought..best thing ever made !..some cut-off wheels..sanding drums..wire wheel brushes..all of these will make your work soooooo much easier in the long run !, there are thousands of uses for this tool..and if your rebuilding a atv ?..then this tool will pay for itself !!. ok..the best and most tool you will ever use and need ?..THE SERVICE MANUAL PPL !!..and it does not make any difference..if you have clymers..honda..whoever ??..you can't do any work..if you don't know what your getting into !!!..and by all means...read it...THEN READ IT AGAIN..keep reading it..until your sure you know what your doing ??..this is the most well used tool you will ever buy...and ever use !!..they don't print them out..and sell them..just to lay around...and collect dust ppl !!..they are made and sold to teach us how to work on stuff..and i use them every chance i can ?..or need too !. ok..now that you got the info on what to buy and have on hand for tools ?..id like to take this time to mention one other thing before i close this thread..PLEASE PAY ATTENTION TO THIS LAST PART PPL !!..before you start anything ?????????..look at what your about to do..go through your service manual..from chapter to chapter..which ever one tells you what your trying to fix ?..AND MAKE SURE YOU HAVE NOT ONLY THE TOOLS TO DO THE JOB ??...BUT THE PARTS YOUR GONNA NEED TO REPLACE THE BAD ONES !!..LOL. i'm not saying any names here ?..but i really think it's off the wall to start something..get into the work..and find out you don't have the right tool ?..or worse...YOU DON'T HAVE THE PART TO REPLACE THE BAD PART !..LOL. oh..and have a grease gun on hand..and some zerts..these work wonders for getting wheel brake cylinders apart !. you also will need a 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 sqaure tubbing to remove the lock nut down inside the differentals !. chime in anyone..if you can think of any other tools i may have forgot ?..all of this thread is too get you started..and hopefully....finish your motor rebuild !.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '83 cx650c , '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho

Last edited by shadetree; 04-30-2013 at 06:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 06:39 PM

Liked: 11 times
Very nice shade...couldn't have done it better. Could you make it a sticky?

-'96 sportsman 500 "HO" build...
-'97 trx300 4x4
-'93 trx300 4x4
-'91 trx300 4x4
-'85 trx250
-'84 trx200
-'77 z50 trail
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 06:39 PM

Liked: 179 times
Digital camera for when you forget where the damn thing went.
Zip lock bags for keeping parts in
Sharpie so you can mark the zip lock bags
Blue gloves to keep your hands and parts clean and bug the piss out of Shadtree when they show up in a picture...

Good write up.

Also, good organized workspace. Some things will take a while and you need to keep things where you can find them. That tiny part can waste a lot of time or money to replace.

'91 TRX300FW
'86 TRX125 Project

Last edited by cmanningjr; 04-30-2013 at 06:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben613 View Post
Very nice shade...couldn't have done it better. Could you make it a sticky?
done !..lol.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '83 cx650c , '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmanningjr View Post
Digital camera for when you forget where the damn thing went.
Zip lock bags for keeping parts in
Sharpie so you can mark the zip lock bags
Blue gloves to keep your hands and parts clean and bug the piss out of Shadtree when they show up in a picture...

Good write up.

Also, good organized workspace. Some things will take a while and you need to keep things where you can find them. That tiny part can waste a lot of time or money to replace.
thank you..and your right..you won't be able to get your blue gloved hands on every little tool over night !..lmfaooooo.

post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 07:05 PM

Liked: 1 times
I may have over looked it but a decent Torque Wrench is pretty important especially when assembling the top end and other critical components. I've always been the type to tighten stuff down tight and then give it another 1/8-1/4 turn for good measure.......but cast aluminum parts do not tolerate that method very well, so I use a torque wrench. LOL.

I like to also keep a good set of metric taps and dies. Never know when you may booger a thread and need to chase it. LOL

Excellent write up! It definately helps to put such a task like this into perspective.

My Ride:
Honda 400EX
&
'07 Honda Rancher 420 ES

Wifes Ride:
'06 Honda Rancher ES

Last edited by bolin03; 04-30-2013 at 07:09 PM.
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 07:07 PM

what about taps and dyes? standard and metric sets?
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolin03 View Post
I may have over looked it but a decent Torque Wrench is pretty important especially when assembling the top end and other critical components. I've always been the type to tighten stuff down tight and then give it another 1/8-1/4 turn for good measure.......but cast aluminum parts do not tolerate that method very well, so I use a torque wrench. LOL.

I like to also keep a good set of metric taps and dies. Never know when you may booger a thread and need to chase it. LOL

Excellent write up! It definately helps to put such a task like this into perspective.
thank you bolin03..your right..i did forget the tap-n-die set !..lol..thank you for bringing that up !..as for the torque wrench ?..well..to some..yeah..they will need it !..me ?..i have never used one on any motor i've rebuilt !..hard to beleive huh ?..lol. still..great investment for a torque wrench !.

post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tearitup View Post
what about taps and dyes? standard and metric sets?
it was brought up by bolin03..metric tap -n- die set !.

post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 07:44 PM

Liked: 4 times
Ha ha my overhaul set usualy consists of a case of beer and leave me the hell alone LOL
riccnick and Mudlover like this.

Josh
2007 TRX 450R DWT, HMF, GBC, Houser, Jett , Vanilla Gorilla Racing, Ac, Wiseco, Hotcams, Jettrim, Glann Innovations, Sunstar, ProTaper, Alba, HRC

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode