So you want to rebuild your atv ?..then you may want to read this ! - Page 3 - Honda ATV Forum
Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-18-2013, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 1878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfoundland250trxrider View Post
can any buddy tell me how hard a 250 fourtraxs engine is to rebuild?? i live in newfoundland im new to this whole engine repair situation so if theres anyone out there message me to see if you can give me some advice before i start getting into it i have a 250 fourtraxs with a transmiision that wont go in any gears but reverse plus tha cylmer manual and 2 extra part engines anywyas im intersted in learning how to rebuild on thanks for your help
they are simple to rebuild bro !...with our help..and you having a service manual ?..chit..it's a walk in the park for you !. you may not even need to tear the motor apart ?..you could have just a bad shifting drum on the left hand side..which is where your foot shifting takes place. it's just in..behind the left hand side cover...all you need to do is get to the shifting shaft part right there ?..and all that has to be done is removing the left hand side cover...drain your oil first though..or..tilt the atv to the right about 45 degree's..so all your oil flows to the right inside the motor..and you won't have a mess when you pull the left hand side cover !.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '05 trx500fm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 12:49 AM

Shadetree,

Thank you for this sticky. Will definitely be referring to this sticky when I start my rebuild. Thanks again!

Geo
post #23 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 06:26 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoaidan View Post
Shadetree,

Thank you for this sticky. Will definitely be referring to this sticky when I start my rebuild. Thanks again!

Geo
your welcome geo !. i'm sure i forgot some tools and stuff ?..but i did lay out the basics of what you would need in order to get started anyway.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '05 trx500fm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 08:57 PM

maybe some ring compressers and ring removal tool too, otherwise you will have a fun time putting the rings on the piston and putting the piston back into the cylinder.
post #25 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-12-2014, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetank View Post
maybe some ring compressers and ring removal tool too, otherwise you will have a fun time putting the rings on the piston and putting the piston back into the cylinder.
in 15 years, not once have I used a ring compresser to install rings, and get the piston in cylinder, it all can be done with just your fingers, and holding your mouth just right !..lol.
riccnick likes this.

post #26 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-12-2014, 07:29 AM

Liked: 17 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetree View Post
Quote:
in 15 years, not once have I used a ring compresser to install rings, and get the piston in cylinder, it all can be done with just your fingers, and holding your mouth just right !..lol.
You can use a fudge bar stick also... Once you eat the fudge bar I know this for a fact! Lol
riccnick likes this.
post #27 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-12-2014, 08:28 AM

Liked: 19 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetree View Post
Quote:
Yeah, same here. I never use them.

If possible, I try to put the cylinder on after the piston is installed on the rod. Makes it a lot easier to get the circlips in.
post #28 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-12-2014, 10:33 AM

Liked: 4 times
i did the big no no just bought an impact and dont have impact sockets so ive been using the regular ones :P

--2001 300ex---
post #29 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-12-2014, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxaholic View Post
i did the big no no just bought an impact and dont have impact sockets so ive been using the regular ones :P
meh..i use my usa craftsmsn reg sockets sometimes with an impact..but it's not a good idea !..lol.

post #30 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-12-2014, 05:53 PM

Liked: 86 times
Two things: After spending a few months on a rebuild for the first time on my 300, all I used were Crafstman sockets with an impact and never had any problems.

And if you can put the bolts back in where they came from or keep them all separated and marked, that will save you a lot of headaches! And take pics before you take everything apart. Fortunately one of my friends has a 300 so I was able to refer to it for putting it back together! Lol I guess that was three things

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode