Honda ATV Forum banner

So you want to rebuild your atv ?..then you may want to read this !

58K views 47 replies 19 participants last post by  BrianBriggs 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok, for all you ppl that are thinking of rebuilding your atv motor ?..or anything for that matter !..i thought i'd talk about a few things..just to give you a heads up on what your looking at !!..first off..ALWAYS MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE TOOL'S TO DO THE JOB !!!..don't wait until you start ?..half way into it ?..or anywhere into it ?..and you find out that you can't do something because you don't have the tools to do the job ???!!. i'm going to try my best to cover the basic tools that you will need to start..work on..and complete the motor over haul !, then i will get a little deeper..just so you know you will be set for the rebuild !. sooo..let's begin..shall we ?..first off..have a good set of METRIC wrenches !!..this is about all you will need to work on a honda..or any jap atv..motor cycle..or anything along these lines !. second..have a good metric socket set..a decent size ratchet..a 3/8's will be used alot..but times will show up..when you need for something bigger...and this calls for a 1/2 ratchet..trust me..there is going to be some really tough bolts..castle nuts..whatever ?..that will ruin your day !!. some decent screw drivers..standard and phillips will be needed !. an air impact, 1/2 works best..with some deep well..and short well impact sockets..DO NOT..I REPEAT..DO NOT USE REG SOCKETS WITH AN AIR IMPACT !!!..THIS IS A VERY BIG NO NO !!. make sure you purchase or have a decent air compressor !!..some little 5 gal mushroom compressor won't cut it !!!..you need at least a 15 to 20 gal to work good !. some pliers..channel locks..vise grips..side cutters..just to name a few. ok..now for the spec tools !. you need a valve spring compressor..feeler gauges..honing tool..if your fairly new to engines ??..then i say..buy a bottle brush hone..it's almost dummy proof !...( notice..i said..almost ?!..lol ). flywheel pullers will be needed..you can't split the engine...if you can't get the flywheel or centrifugal clutch off ????..i'm not for sure if the flywheel and clutch will use the same puller ??..i never bother looking !..lol..sooo..keep this in mind when you need to get both off ?. a decent set of allen wrenches..better known as hex keys. get both hand and socket drives for these !!..3/8 hex keyed works great for those hard to reach and turn hex key bolts !. a good bench vise..and it needs to be mounted on a sturdy bench !!..trust me on this !!..lol. there will be times when you need both hands to work on parts ?..and you won't have any way of working the grinder or whatever tool you got in your hands...if your part your working on..needs to be hot ?..welded..whatever ?. a good drill press comes in handy..there will be times you need to drill some tough parts..and a hand drill just don't cut it ?. a decent press comes in handy...for those of you that can afford one ??..and have a place to sit it ?..but i never use one..not at home anyway !..lol. that will be my next big purchase..a press !..lol. anywayyy..you get the idea. you need a differental tool..this is a spec tool that holds the rear or front differental's pinion gear in place..while you zip the nut off the end of the pinion gear..without it ??.your gonna have a baddddddd day !..lol. they are not cheap by any means ??!!.soooo..if you happen to have an old rear drive shaft ?..you can cut the splined end off of the drive shaft..and weld it onto a metal plate..to make your own differental holder tool, just a matter of figuring out the holes..and such..but well worth the time to make this tool !. sometimes we run into a bearing..thats hidden from one side of the case ?..well..this calls for a tool known as a blind bearing remover..and it too..is not cheap !!..soooo..you can try a few ways to remove it ?..either stick it in the freezer ?..or the oven ? ( don't let your wife see you do it !..lmfao.. )..either way..will expand the case..and the bearing ( most times )..will come right out!. supplies : keep grease..atv motor oil..washers..bolts ( metric bolts )..shop towels..kitty litter ( cleans up oil spills alotttttttttt cheaper than floor dry ! )..wd-40..or pb blaster as some like to use ?..all on hand. a parts washer comes in real handy at times !..sooo..think about this tool !. a digital micromiter..yu'll need it to measure the cylinder bore..wrist pin..piston...and alot of other parts that you need to run a spec on ?. a atv floor jack..best dang tool i've ever bought..just got a craftsman atv jack not long ago..and let me tell ya..my back thanks me !..lol. a roll around stool..one with a shelf thing under it...i hate walking all the way over to the bench..and getting a tool i'll need !..lol. a pair of jack stands..these come in handy..when you only need to keep one end of the atv up ?..if it's a 4 wd ?..your better off with a atv floor jack..as you will need all 4 tires off the ground..floor..where ever your working ?. pick up a dremel tool..this ppl..is one of the best..and most used tools i've ever bought..best thing ever made !..some cut-off wheels..sanding drums..wire wheel brushes..all of these will make your work soooooo much easier in the long run !, there are thousands of uses for this tool..and if your rebuilding a atv ?..then this tool will pay for itself !!. ok..the best and most tool you will ever use and need ?..THE SERVICE MANUAL PPL !!..and it does not make any difference..if you have clymers..honda..whoever ??..you can't do any work..if you don't know what your getting into !!!..and by all means...read it...THEN READ IT AGAIN..keep reading it..until your sure you know what your doing ??..this is the most well used tool you will ever buy...and ever use !!..they don't print them out..and sell them..just to lay around...and collect dust ppl !!..they are made and sold to teach us how to work on stuff..and i use them every chance i can ?..or need too !. ok..now that you got the info on what to buy and have on hand for tools ?..id like to take this time to mention one other thing before i close this thread..PLEASE PAY ATTENTION TO THIS LAST PART PPL !!..before you start anything ?????????..look at what your about to do..go through your service manual..from chapter to chapter..which ever one tells you what your trying to fix ?..AND MAKE SURE YOU HAVE NOT ONLY THE TOOLS TO DO THE JOB ??...BUT THE PARTS YOUR GONNA NEED TO REPLACE THE BAD ONES !!..LOL. i'm not saying any names here ?..but i really think it's off the wall to start something..get into the work..and find out you don't have the right tool ?..or worse...YOU DON'T HAVE THE PART TO REPLACE THE BAD PART !..LOL. oh..and have a grease gun on hand..and some zerts..these work wonders for getting wheel brake cylinders apart !. you also will need a 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 sqaure tubbing to remove the lock nut down inside the differentals !. chime in anyone..if you can think of any other tools i may have forgot ?..all of this thread is too get you started..and hopefully....finish your motor rebuild !.

See less See more
Reactions: don coghill
#3 · (Edited)
Digital camera for when you forget where the damn thing went.
Zip lock bags for keeping parts in
Sharpie so you can mark the zip lock bags
Blue gloves to keep your hands and parts clean and bug the piss out of Shadtree when they show up in a picture...

Good write up.

Also, good organized workspace. Some things will take a while and you need to keep things where you can find them. That tiny part can waste a lot of time or money to replace.

#5 ·
Digital camera for when you forget where the damn thing went.
Zip lock bags for keeping parts in
Sharpie so you can mark the zip lock bags
Blue gloves to keep your hands and parts clean and bug the piss out of Shadtree when they show up in a picture...

Good write up.

Also, good organized workspace. Some things will take a while and you need to keep things where you can find them. That tiny part can waste a lot of time or money to replace.
thank you..and your right..you won't be able to get your blue gloved hands on every little tool over night !..lmfaooooo.

#6 · (Edited)
I may have over looked it but a decent Torque Wrench is pretty important especially when assembling the top end and other critical components. I've always been the type to tighten stuff down tight and then give it another 1/8-1/4 turn for good measure.......but cast aluminum parts do not tolerate that method very well, so I use a torque wrench. LOL.

I like to also keep a good set of metric taps and dies. Never know when you may booger a thread and need to chase it. LOL

Excellent write up! It definately helps to put such a task like this into perspective.

#8 ·
I may have over looked it but a decent Torque Wrench is pretty important especially when assembling the top end and other critical components. I've always been the type to tighten stuff down tight and then give it another 1/8-1/4 turn for good measure.......but cast aluminum parts do not tolerate that method very well, so I use a torque wrench. LOL.

I like to also keep a good set of metric taps and dies. Never know when you may booger a thread and need to chase it. LOL

Excellent write up! It definately helps to put such a task like this into perspective.
thank you bolin03..your right..i did forget the tap-n-die set !..lol..thank you for bringing that up !..as for the torque wrench ?..well..to some..yeah..they will need it !..me ?..i have never used one on any motor i've rebuilt !..hard to beleive huh ?..lol. still..great investment for a torque wrench !.

#11 ·
Good thread and the only thing I can think you missed is a feeler gauge and I always have rtv high temp gasket maker and a tap and die set. Alot of people always say I don't need a tap and die set ill never use it but a couple of times (including me lol) but just wait till you break one of those stupid 8mm or 10mm bolts off in the motor then u wish you bought a tap and die set lol. And a craftsman Atv/motorcycle jack is awsome for tall people or anyone for that matter and a good stool the jack puts the motor area or the Atv at face level witch is perfect. Anyway if anyone's thinking of doing a rebuild you HAVE to have a good set of tools then get your specialty tools.

#12 · (Edited)
thanks..i did mention feeler gauges !..lol. but i did forget hondabond or yamabond for sealant !..lol. I NEVER USE RTV SEALANT !..it gets hard..and breaks off into the motor..where hondabond or yamabond is semi-drying liquid sealant. and i wish i had bought my craftsman atv floor jack many moons ago !..yeah..i'm 5'-11''..it's tough on my back and legs..my stool is great...as well as my atv floor jack now !!..love it..best 100 or so bucks i've ever spent !..lol.

#13 ·
Same here I got my jack on sale for 70 bucks and I didn't no that rtv dose that thanks for the info. Yea the jack and the stool are the best investment if made Atv wise. I work on atvs all year long so it gets hard when your backs all cramped up from bending over and I'm 6'-4' so yea bending over sucks

#14 ·
yeah..that bending over crap is long gone now !..lol. i love my atv floor jack..i sure wish i bought it about 14 yrs ago ?!..lol.

#15 ·
I just pulled a jack outa the scrap yard...the lift cylinder was bent other wise it was all strait....It's one you can get from northern tool...works great for me! I only paid 10 bucks! My "shop stool" is a professional, super performing, ultra heavy duty 5gal pail...lol

#16 ·
Bearing pullers come in handy some times to but it sucks when someone brings you an Atv and they say it needs new wheel bearings. By the time they found out it needed bearings it was because the tires about ready to fall off in that case a bearing puller is useless and your back to the hammer and a chisel or 90% of the time when there's no bearings left but the inner and outer race then its time to pull out the dremel with cutting wheels lol

#18 ·
Great info. Read it a few times. With my 91 TRX300fw rebuild, I tried to think of all the parts that I would need and the information and advice given from some of you out there. I ordered parts early before I was ready for them and still had to order more as the 91 needed more and more parts. One thing that I can advise those out there that want to rebuild from basically scratch is....be prepared to have deep pockets. LOL. I tried to do this on budget.....well......that went out the door. But my gal is worth it. Enjoying it, even though I get frustrated ALOT.....LOL.

#19 ·
Great info. Read it a few times. With my 91 TRX300fw rebuild, I tried to think of all the parts that I would need and the information and advice given from some of you out there. I ordered parts early before I was ready for them and still had to order more as the 91 needed more and more parts. One thing that I can advise those out there that want to rebuild from basically scratch is....be prepared to have deep pockets. LOL. I tried to do this on budget.....well......that went out the door. But my gal is worth it. Enjoying it, even though I get frustrated ALOT.....LOL.
trust me bro..your not alone...when it comes to adding more and more parts to your atv as you tear it down..and rebuild it !!..i'm there every day..you know where i work !..and what i do !..it's a never ending process for me !..it did not take me long at all..to wake up..and see that it NEVER COMES CHEAP TO REBUILD AN ATV !...EVER !..LOL.

#20 ·
can any buddy tell me how hard a 250 fourtraxs engine is to rebuild?? i live in newfoundland im new to this whole engine repair situation so if theres anyone out there message me to see if you can give me some advice before i start getting into it i have a 250 fourtraxs with a transmiision that wont go in any gears but reverse plus tha cylmer manual and 2 extra part engines anywyas im intersted in learning how to rebuild on thanks for your help

#21 ·
can any buddy tell me how hard a 250 fourtraxs engine is to rebuild?? i live in newfoundland im new to this whole engine repair situation so if theres anyone out there message me to see if you can give me some advice before i start getting into it i have a 250 fourtraxs with a transmiision that wont go in any gears but reverse plus tha cylmer manual and 2 extra part engines anywyas im intersted in learning how to rebuild on thanks for your help
they are simple to rebuild bro !...with our help..and you having a service manual ?..chit..it's a walk in the park for you !. you may not even need to tear the motor apart ?..you could have just a bad shifting drum on the left hand side..which is where your foot shifting takes place. it's just in..behind the left hand side cover...all you need to do is get to the shifting shaft part right there ?..and all that has to be done is removing the left hand side cover...drain your oil first though..or..tilt the atv to the right about 45 degree's..so all your oil flows to the right inside the motor..and you won't have a mess when you pull the left hand side cover !.

#23 ·
Shadetree,

Thank you for this sticky. Will definitely be referring to this sticky when I start my rebuild. Thanks again!

Geo
your welcome geo !. i'm sure i forgot some tools and stuff ?..but i did lay out the basics of what you would need in order to get started anyway.

#25 ·
in 15 years, not once have I used a ring compresser to install rings, and get the piston in cylinder, it all can be done with just your fingers, and holding your mouth just right !..lol.

Reactions: riccnick
#30 ·
Two things: After spending a few months on a rebuild for the first time on my 300, all I used were Crafstman sockets with an impact and never had any problems.

And if you can put the bolts back in where they came from or keep them all separated and marked, that will save you a lot of headaches! And take pics before you take everything apart. Fortunately one of my friends has a 300 so I was able to refer to it for putting it back together! Lol I guess that was three things ;)

#31 ·
I bet you won't pull that off with the new craftsman sockets !!!!!!!!!!!..they are made in china now !!!..andddddddddddd......I bet you got a whimpy air impact driver ?!..lol.

#34 ·
buy the upper line of Craftsman they are much nicer. . . . . .and you forgot Krylon!!!!!!

#35 ·
I got to agree the new Craftsman is not as good as the old , BUT , the warranty is as good as any .... I hate to give away all my secrets but garage sales and flea markets are great for getting the old school stuff ---------- try the new Craftsman sockets that fit all types of fastners are nice , you know like 12 pt , 6 pt , square , spline , torx , they are not chromed , I have a few sets of them and use them with impacts and have not striped or cracked one yet , they will grab a head that a regular socket will slip on

#36 ·
I have a set of these in STD and Metric. . they are Great!!

#37 ·
I have a set of these in STD and Metric. . they are Great!!
do they have made in usa stamped on them ??..if not ?..they are china junk !..lol. I simply will not buy any more craftsman tools as long as they are made in china !!!!. I got two very old mech sets I bought many many moons ago..one set alone has lasted me 20 years ?, and it has made in usa all over the case as well as the tools. craftsman hand tools ( other than snap-on )..ranked right at the top of tools for every man known in the past , today ?..they are nothing but an over priced harbor freight tool !. why spend ..say 100 bucks on a wrench set made in china with a full life time warranty, when you can go to harbor freight...and spend half or less ?..for a tool still made in china, and comes with a full life time warranty as well !!. i'd say sears with their craftsman hand tools has died..r.i.p. craftsman !. I love the feel of the kobalt from lowes, they even have a socket for life, ..EVEN IF IT RUST !!!..WHICH CRAFTSMAN NEVER DID !..LOL. if I lose a socket ?..I can have a free one sent to me, minus shipping ?..no questions asked. but this will depend on what I lose ?..lol. going to the store..and buying a new one might be cheaper than having to pay shipping for a 3 dollar socket !..lol.

#38 ·
Man you're on crack..... talk you China cap elsewhere...lol all my craftsman say U.S A. Finger Hand Cutting tool Nail Tool

Attachments

#41 · (Edited)
I bet you wont get any new hand tools that have usa stamped on them !..and i'm not on crack !..lmfao. I have been back and forth with sears..go look for yourself if ya don't believe me ??. all the new ratchets and sockets..just about everything they sell today is made in china !!. lol

#40 ·
OK one more Water Finger Material property Hand Fluid

Attachments

#43 ·
all I know is..all the sears stores here in Arkansas sell them with no usa stamped on any hand tools !!..maybe your neck of the woods haven't got them yet ??..lol.

#44 ·
Dude I told you buy the upper line you get the good tools.. I'm pretty sure the east coast is just as advanced as central USA..... I showed you .... The proof is in the photo..... I have seen the less expensive craftsman without stamping but it doesn't make them any less quality... As for the first set of wrenches I posted? The black steel ones.... they are far from junk and extremely well constructed. You won't break them I guarantee that

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.