So you want to rebuild your atv ?..then you may want to read this ! - Page 2 - Honda ATV Forum
Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 10:51 PM

Good thread and the only thing I can think you missed is a feeler gauge and I always have rtv high temp gasket maker and a tap and die set. Alot of people always say I don't need a tap and die set ill never use it but a couple of times (including me lol) but just wait till you break one of those stupid 8mm or 10mm bolts off in the motor then u wish you bought a tap and die set lol. And a craftsman Atv/motorcycle jack is awsome for tall people or anyone for that matter and a good stool the jack puts the motor area or the Atv at face level witch is perfect. Anyway if anyone's thinking of doing a rebuild you HAVE to have a good set of tools then get your specialty tools.

86 250r
Fmf full pipe
K&N air filter
Boyesen intake
Holeshots
Hinson clutch
Wiseco piston
DG bumper
DG nerf bars

And much more to come
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 1867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86trx250r View Post
Good thread and the only thing I can think you missed is a feeler gauge and I always have rtv high temp gasket maker and a tap and die set. Alot of people always say I don't need a tap and die set ill never use it but a couple of times (including me lol) but just wait till you break one of those stupid 8mm or 10mm bolts off in the motor then u wish you bought a tap and die set lol. And a craftsman Atv/motorcycle jack is awsome for tall people or anyone for that matter and a good stool the jack puts the motor area or the Atv at face level witch is perfect. Anyway if anyone's thinking of doing a rebuild you HAVE to have a good set of tools then get your specialty tools.
thanks..i did mention feeler gauges !..lol. but i did forget hondabond or yamabond for sealant !..lol. I NEVER USE RTV SEALANT !..it gets hard..and breaks off into the motor..where hondabond or yamabond is semi-drying liquid sealant. and i wish i had bought my craftsman atv floor jack many moons ago !..yeah..i'm 5'-11''..it's tough on my back and legs..my stool is great...as well as my atv floor jack now !!..love it..best 100 or so bucks i've ever spent !..lol.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '05 trx500fm

Last edited by shadetree; 04-30-2013 at 11:42 PM.
post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 11:04 AM

Same here I got my jack on sale for 70 bucks and I didn't no that rtv dose that thanks for the info. Yea the jack and the stool are the best investment if made Atv wise. I work on atvs all year long so it gets hard when your backs all cramped up from bending over and I'm 6'-4' so yea bending over sucks

86 250r
Fmf full pipe
K&N air filter
Boyesen intake
Holeshots
Hinson clutch
Wiseco piston
DG bumper
DG nerf bars

And much more to come
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86trx250r View Post
Same here I got my jack on sale for 70 bucks and I didn't no that rtv dose that thanks for the info. Yea the jack and the stool are the best investment if made Atv wise. I work on atvs all year long so it gets hard when your backs all cramped up from bending over and I'm 6'-4' so yea bending over sucks
yeah..that bending over crap is long gone now !..lol. i love my atv floor jack..i sure wish i bought it about 14 yrs ago ?!..lol.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '05 trx500fm
post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 12:52 PM

Liked: 11 times
I just pulled a jack outa the scrap yard...the lift cylinder was bent other wise it was all strait....It's one you can get from northern tool...works great for me! I only paid 10 bucks! My "shop stool" is a professional, super performing, ultra heavy duty 5gal pail...lol

-'96 sportsman 500 "HO" build...
-'97 trx300 4x4
-'93 trx300 4x4
-'91 trx300 4x4
-'85 trx250
-'84 trx200
-'77 z50 trail
post #16 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 02:18 PM

Bearing pullers come in handy some times to but it sucks when someone brings you an Atv and they say it needs new wheel bearings. By the time they found out it needed bearings it was because the tires about ready to fall off in that case a bearing puller is useless and your back to the hammer and a chisel or 90% of the time when there's no bearings left but the inner and outer race then its time to pull out the dremel with cutting wheels lol

86 250r
Fmf full pipe
K&N air filter
Boyesen intake
Holeshots
Hinson clutch
Wiseco piston
DG bumper
DG nerf bars

And much more to come
post #17 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 07:39 PM

yuuup. im not rebuilding my motor. seems i only need the top end. But heck, i lost a bolt to the plastics over a month of working on the spark issue. i could only imagine on a two or three month project.
post #18 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 08:57 PM

Liked: 3 times
Great info. Read it a few times. With my 91 TRX300fw rebuild, I tried to think of all the parts that I would need and the information and advice given from some of you out there. I ordered parts early before I was ready for them and still had to order more as the 91 needed more and more parts. One thing that I can advise those out there that want to rebuild from basically scratch is....be prepared to have deep pockets. LOL. I tried to do this on budget.....well......that went out the door. But my gal is worth it. Enjoying it, even though I get frustrated ALOT.....LOL.

2000 TRX 300FW
1991 TRX 300FW
1986 TRX 125
post #19 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacklegg View Post
Great info. Read it a few times. With my 91 TRX300fw rebuild, I tried to think of all the parts that I would need and the information and advice given from some of you out there. I ordered parts early before I was ready for them and still had to order more as the 91 needed more and more parts. One thing that I can advise those out there that want to rebuild from basically scratch is....be prepared to have deep pockets. LOL. I tried to do this on budget.....well......that went out the door. But my gal is worth it. Enjoying it, even though I get frustrated ALOT.....LOL.
trust me bro..your not alone...when it comes to adding more and more parts to your atv as you tear it down..and rebuild it !!..i'm there every day..you know where i work !..and what i do !..it's a never ending process for me !..it did not take me long at all..to wake up..and see that it NEVER COMES CHEAP TO REBUILD AN ATV !...EVER !..LOL.

post #20 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-18-2013, 03:32 PM

Send a message via MSN to newfoundland250trxrider
can any buddy tell me how hard a 250 fourtraxs engine is to rebuild?? i live in newfoundland im new to this whole engine repair situation so if theres anyone out there message me to see if you can give me some advice before i start getting into it i have a 250 fourtraxs with a transmiision that wont go in any gears but reverse plus tha cylmer manual and 2 extra part engines anywyas im intersted in learning how to rebuild on thanks for your help

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode