Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 10:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member #28657
View WillNemeth90's Photo Gallery(0)
02 400ex timing chain 1/2 tooth off!?

I just bought a brand new OEM 400ex timing chain and a stage 1 hot cam. I removed the decompression pin and spring. I put the crank mark right align with the hash mark right before the T. I install the sprocket as directed by the service manual, I do everything perfect but when I rotate it another 720 degrees back to the l T mark the lines in the camshaft gear are off 1/2 tooth. I tried advancing it a tad so when the tensioner kicks in it will pull it perfectly aligned. I was screwing with it for hours I can't get it right. What am I doing wrong!?!?
WillNemeth90 is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 02-26-2013, 07:33 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member #15501
View Tippmann98's Photo Gallery(0)
You said you advanced it some so when the tensioner kicks in it will be perfectly aligned? As soon as you set the timing, you must install the tensioner and put tension on it. If you are rotating it without the tensioner in, it will definitely have some slack and appear off. Appear is the keyword. If the tensioner is not in and it's only half a tooth, you likely have everything lined up correctly. But install the tensioner and double check.

Last edited by Tippmann98; 02-26-2013 at 10:36 AM.
Tippmann98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:35 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member #10625
View atvrider13's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 20 times
After the tensioner puts pressure on it , it will rotate back a little
atvrider13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #417
View TRX2fiveO's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 35 times
1/2 tooth won't hurt anything
07 Suzuki LTZ250 (Sons)
00 TRX350TM 4X2 (Resale bike)
01 TRX250EX (TLC Needed)
74' CB360 (future FrankenQuad)
Work in progress
http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums...nstruction.htm

http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums...e-2-hicks.html
TRX2fiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
View shadetree's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 90 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillNemeth90 View Post
I just bought a brand new OEM 400ex timing chain and a stage 1 hot cam. I removed the decompression pin and spring. I put the crank mark right align with the hash mark right before the T. I install the sprocket as directed by the service manual, I do everything perfect but when I rotate it another 720 degrees back to the l T mark the lines in the camshaft gear are off 1/2 tooth. I tried advancing it a tad so when the tensioner kicks in it will pull it perfectly aligned. I was screwing with it for hours I can't get it right. What am I doing wrong!?!?
i'm no expert by any means when it comes to sport bikes !!..buttt..i would like to ask..and throw this out to you..you said you put an after market cam in right ?..buttt..you installed an oem cam chain ?..soooo..my question is..is the after market cam sprocket bigger..smaller ? than the oem cam sprocket ??..this maybe why you can't get the timming marks to line up ?. just a thought here...lol.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:35 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member #15501
Hey Shade - I'm pretty sure the sprocket will be the exact same. It's the lobes that are different on aftermarket cams.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippmann98 View Post
Hey Shade - I'm pretty sure the sprocket will be the exact same. It's the lobes that are different on aftermarket cams.
i would like to know for sure ?, i'm learning here mind you !..lol. something about this after market cam is throwing the cam chain off ?..orrrrrrrr..the tensioner is not working right ?. if he has a new oem chain ?..and the hash marks are not lining up like they should ??.there is a reason for it !..lol. maybe he's not setting the crank right ??..i don't know ??..what i do know is..with a new cam chain..a new after market cam...it all should line up right !..wrong head gasket ?..base gasket ?..something is not right !.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:58 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member #15501
If you read his post it sounds like he is checking it all without installing the tensioner which will no doubt make the timing "appear" off a half tooth.

I've got a set of WebCams in my dirtbike. The lobes are shaped differently to create more lift and changes the duration but there is absolutely no difference in the sprocket size. A different sized sprocket would throw the timing off. You could set it right but after rotating the engine over back to the compression stroke it wouldn't line up at all with the TDC mark.

Last edited by Tippmann98; 02-26-2013 at 11:02 AM.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:06 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
Quote:
If you read his post it sounds like he is checking it all without installing the tensioner which will no doubt make the timing "appear" off a half tooth.

I've got a set of WebCams in my dirtbike. The lobes are shaped differently to create more lift and changes the duration but there is absolutely no difference in the sprocket size. A different sized sprocket would throw the timing off. You could set it right but after rotating the engine over back to the compression stroke it wouldn't line up at all with the TDC mark.
i read his post...and your prob right ?..as he really does not get into detail if and when the tensioner is in ?..or bolted up ?..or what ?..lol. sooo..i really can't say. other than..they all should line up !..if not ?..then something is wrong somewhere !..lol.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:32 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member #4450
View Josh's Photo Gallery(0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetree View Post
Quote:
i would like to know for sure ?, i'm learning here mind you !..lol. something about this after market cam is throwing the cam chain off ?..orrrrrrrr..the tensioner is not working right ?. if he has a new oem chain ?..and the hash marks are not lining up like they should ??.there is a reason for it !..lol. maybe he's not setting the crank right ??..i don't know ??..what i do know is..with a new cam chain..a new after market cam...it all should line up right !..wrong head gasket ?..base gasket ?..something is not right !.
aftermarket cams use the stock cam sprocket just have different shaft with taller and fatter lobes.

MY BUILD THREAD
Click here for help on jetting your quad
DeadlyPeace-How to rebuild 400ex
Click here for my5sons Service Manuals

CPR Garage
'86 TRX 250R Project
'04 TRX 400EX
'06 TRX 90

Josh is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Search tags for this page

02 400ex timing

400ex cam install timing gear marks dont line up perfect

400ex timing

400ex timing marks

do atv timing marks have to be perfect?

do the cam sprocket lines have to line up perfect on 400ex

honda 400ex timing marks
honda nt 400 timing marks
how does cam gear go on 400ex

if 400 ex chain is off one tooth on the bottom

setting timing chain properly on 400ex
timing marks on 02 400 ex honda
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.