Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 01:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member #22443
View RobK's Photo Gallery(0)
200e Big Red ATC Idle Problem

I just picked up an 83 200e Big Red ATC on a trade. Starts easily and runs pretty good, but needs the choke on and idles very fast. I took the carb apart and cleaned it real good - there's not much to them. It's a little better, but still not right. I can run it without the choke, but it tends to miss some and race and idle, race and idle. I've had small engine carbs in the past that I could just not get working. Before I buy a new one I want to make sure I'm not missing something. I'm new to these engines. Anything else that could cause the engine to idle poorly and race like that? Anybody know a good source for a carburator?
RobK is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 01-19-2013, 01:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #8365
View Deeperinthabush's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 6 times
If the carb is spotlessly clean internally with all orifices,and passages clean as well as all jets really clean,and the air/fuel mixture screw was installed correctly,and has been adjusted properly then I would say you have a vacuum leak,or possibly a fuel supply issue...The tank,petcock,fuel line,and carb all have to be very clean in order for gas to flow properly,and the carb to work as it should...A clear inline fuel filter usually will stop any contaminants from getting into the carb once it is spotlessly clean inside...Spray wd40 around the intake ,and intake boot,if the engine revs up at that moment then you have a leak there,if not,try the throttle cable area,check the choke cable boot,and cable for proper actuation of the choke...I have yet to buy a new carb due to any issues other than it being missing off an engine...A good used one would work just as well with a rebuild kit put in it for a lot less than a new carb...Try cleaning the tank,petcock,replace the fuel line,install a clear inline fuel filter,and clean the carb again making certain air,and carb cleaner will go through every orifice,jet,and passage in the carb prior to reassembly...
FREE REPAIR MANUALS >>http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums...all-years.html 1986-1992 trx350 parts for sale>>http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums/atv-parts-sale/29225-complete-part-out-1986-fourtrax-350-a.html
Deeperinthabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:34 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member #22443
Everything inside looks pretty good to me. I cleaned it all and put it back together. My first though was (is) vacuum leak. I did try the WD40 trick around the manifold and carb joints, but that didn't seem to make a difference. I'll try around the throttle cable, I didn't do that. Also, the rubber O rings between the manifold and engine, and manifold and carb look pretty good. Richening up the mixture one notch allows it to run off choke, but it still misses a bit and surges. I cleaned all the parts with carb cleaner and blew out any orifices best I could. Seems pretty clean inside. Fuel seems to be flowing from the tank well, but I'll double check it all. I also notice when you choke it the engine wants to race regardless of throttle position. Is that normal? One other thing. That pilot jet adjustment doesn't seem to do anything. The book says to set the idle and then turn the pilot screw clockwise 'til the engine stalls and then back it off one turn. I can turn it until it seats and the engine keeps running. Of course I can't really get the idle right first either.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #417
View TRX2fiveO's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 35 times
You need to clean the carb the idle circuit is clogged the fuel mixture screw orfice needs to be cleand out too. . . . Blow it out with compressed air
07 Suzuki LTZ250 (Sons)
00 TRX350TM 4X2 (Resale bike)
01 TRX250EX (TLC Needed)
74' CB360 (future FrankenQuad)
Work in progress
http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums...nstruction.htm

http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums...e-2-hicks.html
TRX2fiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:05 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member #22443
I'll have to try that. I did "blow" everthing out with the carb cleaner, but perhaps that wasn't enough.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:57 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member #17730
View Trips's Photo Gallery(0)
You have to pull the jets and make sure they are clean. I had a yammy carb that I ended up cleaning 7 times before I finally got it all

Trips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:04 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #417
View TRX2fiveO's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 35 times
Pull a wire from a wire brush that is small enough to fit into the slow jet orfices
07 Suzuki LTZ250 (Sons)
00 TRX350TM 4X2 (Resale bike)
01 TRX250EX (TLC Needed)
74' CB360 (future FrankenQuad)
Work in progress
http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums...nstruction.htm

http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums...e-2-hicks.html
TRX2fiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:09 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member #26645
View gwhite's Photo Gallery(0)
I posted pretty much the same thing about my big red. Its under "carb trouble" basically same exact problem.
What are the orings that were mentioned on the manifold? I think I kniw which ines were referred to that are between the carb and the head. They look descent to me. But where could I buy some more? I will check with the dealer tomorrow
gwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:01 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member #19371
View HondaGav's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 16 times
Sounds like you may not have a good seal in the boot going from the carb to the cylinder.
-John Deere 322
-John Deere 855
-1998 Suzuki Quadrunner 250
-1994 Suzuki Quadrunner 280 (Project)
-1984 Big Red 200es
-1989 Skidoo Mach 1
HondaGav is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Search tags for this page

1984 big red revving high

1984 honda atc 200es idles fast

adjust a carburator on a honda big red 200 e

can't get honda fourtrax 200 to idle right.
honda 200 e carb screw
honda 200 fast idle
honda 200s ideal issues

honda atc 200e running issues

honda200es pilot screw how many turns

how do you fix an over reving 200 honda

how to adjust carb on 1984 200es honda big red atc

how to reach the choke on a big red honda

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.