Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2010, 06:50 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member #2434
View pat2bears's Photo Gallery(0)
TRX300FW won't start, just clicks!!!!

My neighbor is a 90 years old woman who is somewhat crippled and uses her ATV to get the mail and see her farm. It is a Honda 1999.
It will not start and I have no way to get it to a shop but I am handy enough to do most any repair.
There is a round device in the battery case left of the battery that clicks loudly when I try to start the ATV.
What is this and does this sound like the problem.
What is necessary to replace it other than a new part.
Thanks For your help,
Pat
pat2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 03-18-2010, 07:00 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member #1660
View submarine 300's Photo Gallery(0)
Hello and welcome. Are you sure the batt. has a good charge and cables have a good connection? This is where I'd start.
U.S. Army S.O.F. Sniper (Don't run you'll only die tired!)
submarine 300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 07:04 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member #1088
View Billy250X's Photo Gallery(0)
Thats the sileiod clicking.If your battery isn't good or isn't charged they will click.But it could also be a bad one if the battery is good.

1991 Trx250X Custom exhaust,K&N jetted,widened 7.5 inches in the back and 8 inches in the frontWarrior rear shock and z400 front shocks with custom brackets.Race cut fenders.+3 swingarm.Way more to come.
Building things makes me happy.
Billy250X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 01:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
View Helmut's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 11 times
I agree with Submarine and Billy. Make sure you have a good battery and it is charged up. Make sure the battery cables and battery terminals are clean and tight. If it still won't start, take an old screwdriver and cross over the two terminal posts on the solenoid. If the solenoid is bad, it should start, providing the starter is good and the key is on. When you cross the solenoid over with the screwdriver, it will arc, so don't have any flammable liquids around. More than likely, the battery or solenoid is the problem, but if not, then it is probably the starter.

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Helmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 02:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
By the way, to answer your last question, all that is needed to replace the solenoid is a wrench to fit the nuts that hold the cables on the solenoid. I can't remember the size, but I think it's a 12mm.

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:50 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member #2434
View pat2bears's Photo Gallery(0)
Thanks for all your help and kindness

I have tightened the cables to the battery but no help.
I have tried to jump the solenoid but that does not help either it still just clicks.
I have put the battery on a 10 amp charger over night and shortly I will see if that helped and if not I will take the battery to the parts house to have it tested.
I assume at this point it it is not any of the above then it has something to do with the starter? If that is the case I will need some more detailed suggestions from you folks but I will keep you posted.
It's amazing to see the look in her face at the thought that soon she will have some mobility to check the mail and also to have some independence. I guess we all think of ATV's as either work tools or toys but in her case it is actually her ability to have so quality and independence in her life. Brings a whole new meaning to the value of an ATV.
Pat
pat2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 05:36 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member #1964
View ptac's Photo Gallery(0)
Cables, Battery, or Starter

Its usually the cables are loose---or (especially after winter) the battery being dead..or shot. If you are getting clicking from the solinoid---its a good indication that it is performing its job of transfering power to the starter when the key/button is switched on. If the above 2 are ruled out--then worse case is that the starter is DOA. If thats the case (being that its a '99) --it could just require disassembly and a good cleanage of the armature and brushes.(rather than a new one) I would only do this after the cables and battery have been ruled out. Non starting issues are never fun!
ptac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 06:12 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #417
View TRX2fiveO's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 56 times
Another thing that is commonly missed is the battery ground connection to the frame-end over time rust will present itself under the eyelet ring thus weakening the contact point you can have all the voltage in the world but one little bad ground will kill the whole system. I would check the grounds and check the wires AT the starter? vibration tends to play a toll on these old beast.
07 Suzuki LTZ250 (Sons)
00 TRX350TM 4X2 (Resale bike)
01 TRX250EX (TLC Needed)

Progress and Help
JETTING
SERVICE_MANUALS
MOOSE_WAGON_makeover
2000_Rancher_Build
TRX2fiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 06:41 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member #1660
View submarine 300's Photo Gallery(0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRX2fiveO View Post
Another thing that is commonly missed is the battery ground connection to the frame-end over time rust will present itself under the eyelet ring thus weakening the contact point you can have all the voltage in the world but one little bad ground will kill the whole system. I would check the grounds and check the wires AT the starter? vibration tends to play a toll on these old beast.
^^^^^Very much agreed!
U.S. Army S.O.F. Sniper (Don't run you'll only die tired!)
submarine 300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 02:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
I agree. You have to have a good ground. By the way, the main ground wire, on these models, grounds on one of the starter mounting bolts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Search tags for this page

4 wheeler just clicks trying start

4 wheeler won't start just clicks
atv clicks but won,t start
atv clicks but wont start

atv won't start just clicks

atv wont start just clicks

four wheeler clicks when trying to start
four wheeler wont start just clicks
honda 300 fourtrax won't start just clicks
honda 300 fourtrax wont start just clicks
quad wont start just clicks
when i try to start my honda fourwheeler it just clicks
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.