Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2013, 08:16 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member #27606
View czachary0603's Photo Gallery(0)
1994 Honda TRX 300 cranking issues...

Hello all. I am as new as they come to Honda ATV's, recently purchased a used '94 TRX 300 for a heck of a deal. Well it had its share of issues. Starter was not working right, and it would just die while running. I have rebuilt the starter, replaced the solienoid, and rebuilt the carb. Now once it is cranked it runs like a top, the rebuild really solved 99% of the problems.

My problem now is the cold start. You really have to crank on it for a while to get it to finally get started, once it starts it runs great and does not die like it did before. Purrs like a kitten. Just the initial start is really a pain and I know that is not good on the starter. I took the plug out yesterday and plan on swapping it out today, but honestly it looks fine. I was thinking about maybe running the idle up slightly more to give it a little more gas off the start? Are you suppose to use the primer every time you crank the fourwheeler? I was just thinking it would fire right up.
czachary0603 is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 01-03-2013, 09:27 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member #11544
View Melatv's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 19 times
I have found in extreme cold weather with TRX300 I had, it needed to be primed and use the choke. Also used a auto battery trickle charger at all times when not in use.
2500 Runva Winch
Winter Pak Plus 2/4 Zone Thumb & Hand Warmers

If all the animals run in one direction follow them.

If you can't soar with the Eagles, then run with the Chickens.
Melatv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:32 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member #27606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melatv View Post
I have found in extreme cold weather with TRX300 I had, it needed to be primed and use the choke. Also used a auto battery trickle charger at all times when not in use.
Well I did say cold start, but i Live in Texas. Cold start as is has not been used that day. haha, not truely a cold start. I honestly have not even tried to prime it before, Just assumed it should crank right up. Still think I will swap the plug out and see if that helps anyway. Everything was original until i started replacing parts. May just do an overall tune up slowly. Plug first, then coil, then replace fuel lines and petcock too.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:50 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member #21985
View Greg1994's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 1 times
Mine doesn't like to start without the choke and is fine after a few minutes. It sounds like yours isn't getting fuel very quickly for some reason. Have you checked the choke set-up? the piston is moving up and down in the carb when you move the level on the handle?

Adjusting the idle higher won't help with your problem because that only kicks in once it is started. I'd focus on the choke first.
2006 Yamaha Grizzly 660 Special Edition
1991 Yamaha Big Bear 350
Greg1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:09 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member #22125
View rlfoulch's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 3 times
Replace plug and make sure it is gapped corectly. Check for a bright blue spark. Always a good idea to replace fuel line every 6-9 months as the ethanal eats up rubber fuel line bad and also install an inline fuel filter. Also pull tour peckcock out and clean the screan. Only time EThas any trouble starting is below 50f and if i choke him he bust right off.

Also if your air filtsr is durty clean or replace it as if its starving for air it will have trouble starting.

Hope this helps you get her starting easyer.

Ps welcome to the forum from the crossroads of TX

gone but never forgotten E.T. (90 fourtrax300fw)

94 sportster with andrews n4 cams hc pistons p&p heads drag pipes under drive pulleys

2010 Colorado 4 door 2wd

2013 recon es 23-8.50-12 front and 23-10.5-12deestone suretrack on hd3 wheels (her bike)
rlfoulch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:52 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member #27606
I am actually positive the choke is not working correctly. I will look at it tonight and see if I can track down the problem. Really unfamiliar with how it works, but I will see if when choke is adjusted something on the carb moves around. I do have the new sparkplug to try tonight also. If problem persists then will move to fuel system next. Go ahead and swap all the lines and look at the petcock also.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #8365
View Deeperinthabush's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 11 times
Welcome to da forums... Swapping the idle/slow jet out to a couple sizes larger will help with cold starts,and the primer on the side of the carb is there for a reason as they typically need to be primed with enough fuel to start without grinding away on the starter for long periods of time...Press it in 4-5 times with the petcock in the on position,and a full tank of gas with a couple ounces of Seafoam in it,slide the choke to the left until it locks in place,and it should fire right up,turning the choke off after a minute,or two should keep it running...Check the air filter making certain it is cleaned often,and reoiled lightly after the filter dries out...
FREE REPAIR MANUALS >>http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums...all-years.html 1986-1992 trx350 parts for sale>>http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums/atv-parts-sale/29225-complete-part-out-1986-fourtrax-350-a.html
Deeperinthabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member #27606
Thanks for input everyone.

I swapped the plug out to start with. Took the tank off to get to the petcock and tore it down. Cleaned all the parts with b12. Also replaced the fuel line. Over time I guess it had got gummed up just like the carb was. Also did do a seafoam treatment as well(then used this in my generator, other four wheeler, weed eater, boat motor-instant beleiver). She fires right up and runs great now!
Old 01-07-2013, 03:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member #21985
View Greg1994's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 1 times
Good job. Most of the time these types of problems will go away with some cleaning and proper maintenance. Glad to hear it is running well.
2006 Yamaha Grizzly 660 Special Edition
1991 Yamaha Big Bear 350
Greg1994 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Search tags for this page
1994 300 tx sport atv

1994 honda foretrax only runs while primimg

1994 honda four wheeler
1994 honda four wheeler starter clicks
1994 honda trx 300 starter
94 honda fourtrax 300 crank removal
fourtrax will not stop cranking
honda 300 fourtrax will only crank on choke even when motor is warmed up
honda fourtrax trx300 have to give gas to start
honda trx300 year 1994 hard to start when cold
starter for 1994 honda fourtrax 300
what size of a 1994 honda four wheelers is
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.