Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2012, 07:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member #23325
View Onedollartrike's Photo Gallery(0)
My new 3wheeler won't shift

I recently purchased a 1984 Honda 125 for $1! Only problem is that it won't shift into gear. I got it from a family member that took good care of it but he said one day it just wouldnt shift into gear. He then put it in his shed and that's where it has sat for about 7 years until yesterday. It hasnt been cranked since he put it up either. Where should I start in this rebuild?I'm no mechanic but I am ok at fixing things if I know what the problem is. Any ideas or past experiences with this? Any advice will help.
Onedollartrike is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 09-17-2012, 09:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member #14099
View slincolnn's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 1 times
Welcome to the forum.I would start by cleaning the carb,change the oil, remove the plug and see what it looks like then add a little oil to the cylinder and crank it over by hand with the plug out.You will also need to clean the fuel tank and petcock add an inline fuel filter then fire it up and see if it shifts.
03 recon
slincolnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #8365
View Deeperinthabush's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 11 times
Welcome to da forums... After you do what all slincolnn said,Id adjust the shift change clutch...Look for a nut that has a slotted screw in the middle of it,loosen the nut ccw a turn,and a half,or so,then turn the screw cw inwards a full turn,then back it out ccw until you feel resistance,then back it off cw 1/4 turn,hold it,lock the jam nut back down,and voila,all adjusted...You check it by lifting the shifter when it is running,and once you lift it,it should not move at all while in the lifted position,when you release it,it will go back to the middle,or neutral position,if you feel resistance prior to it lifting upwards,then the clutch is over adjusted...Here's a clutch adjusting video by my buddy D Ray...Pt.4 Honda ATC200S How To Adjust The Clutch - YouTube
FREE REPAIR MANUALS >>http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums...all-years.html 1986-1992 trx350 parts for sale>>http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums/atv-parts-sale/29225-complete-part-out-1986-fourtrax-350-a.html
Deeperinthabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:20 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member #3457
View dr. feelgood's Photo Gallery(0)
I bought an 84 125m a few years back that was stuck between gears, according to the seller. Here's my old thread explaining what I found and how I fixed it

125m transmission woes - video inside

Rob
Old 11-02-2012, 04:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member #25135
View BrianD7318's Photo Gallery(0)
I have a 85 ATC 125m that would not shift or it would get stuck between gears. I removed the side case and found that the bolt for the gear shift lever roller had come loose causing the lever to jam up on the star wheel. I found the lever had a small crack in it and the roller was worn flat on one side I Got the parts cheap on Ebay. I Put some thread locker on the bolt, installed the new parts with a new side gasket and never had a problem again. This issue seems very common on the 125's for some reason.
BrianD7318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member #9942
View Tino55's Photo Gallery(0)
oh mine would shift but wouldnt go all it was was a clutch adjustment as for starting it should start up fairly easily mine did and it was sitting in some bad things
2004 400ex white bros exhaust dg bumper race cut plastics ac nerf bars k and n filter houser a arms
Tino55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Search tags for this page
1984 honda 125m 3 wheeler parts
1984 honda atc 200 why is the gears stuck
1985 honda 200 3 wheeler gears diagram
does the honda 200s has a gear shift

honda 125 3 wheeler

honda 125m three wheeler how to fix gears
honda 125m wont shift
honda 200m wont shift
honda atc 110 gear oil

honda atc 125m clutch adjustment

honda atc 125m service manual
how to fix shifting problem on a 84 honda 125 m
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.