Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2010, 08:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member #2132
View General_Lee's Photo Gallery(0)
Question 300ex motor trouble

ok so when i got it it had had the puston hit the valves i got anouther head with it guy said it was botton end and he gave me anouther so i fix it piston rings and lots of time it was running about a month later i was riding in creak when i got it home it kept cutting out i thought it might have been somthing wet so i kept running it went dead took valve cover off to notice the timing strocket bent and chain off witch allso broke ears off cam replaced cam and sprocket rode it about 3 hours and went dead again took valve cover off and the timing marks were off by 2 or 3 teeth 1 exsaust valve hit the piston hot only 1 valve hit i dont know i dont know iv valve stuck or what but not i got lots of money to spend on it again any ideas why i think it jumped time but botton and top timing sprockets are fine
General_Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 02-24-2010, 08:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
View shadetree's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 124 times
did you replace timming chain ?..sounds like your timming chain is streched too far..which caused it to jump time
shadetree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #417
View TRX2fiveO's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 52 times
Welcome to the Forums...Agree^^^^^

Do you know 300ex powered by monster?
07 Suzuki LTZ250 (Sons)
00 TRX350TM 4X2 (Resale bike)
01 TRX250EX (TLC Needed)
74' CB360 (future FrankenQuad)
Work in progress

JETTING

MOOSE_WAGON_makeover

2000_Rancher_build
TRX2fiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member #1963
View SlammedRanger's Photo Gallery(0)
Probably the cam chain tensioner.
razr2 rear tires, hole shot fronts
tusk nerfs and gas cap? LoL
Mod quad dash and riser
Rental fat bars
Acerbies hand guards.
SlammedRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
it's diff something to do with the timming chain..oh..and welcome to the formus :-)
Old 02-24-2010, 08:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member #2132
maybe i took screwdriver and timing chain seemed plenty tight the tensioner had to depress about half inch goin in iv decided im going to try 1 more time to fix and check out botton end make shur everything looks right new timing chain thinking about putting big bore kit on it then later turning it in to a stroker but i need to figer this out first befor i sink more money into it and the motor made alot of noise i thought it was tappets so i tried to adjust them think that may have been timing chain slapping?
Old 02-24-2010, 08:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #988
View mud99's Photo Gallery(0)
Welcome to the forums. I agree with above check timing chain.
1995 Wrangler
2004 Ford Explorer
2004 Recon 250
2009 Troy Built Lawn Tractor
and a 110 Pink Panther
www.trxforums.com
mud99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
Quote:
Originally Posted by General_Lee View Post
maybe i took screwdriver and timing chain seemed plenty tight the tensioner had to depress about half inch goin in iv decided im going to try 1 more time to fix and check out botton end make shur everything looks right new timing chain thinking about putting big bore kit on it then later turning it in to a stroker but i need to figer this out first befor i sink more money into it and the motor made alot of noise i thought it was tappets so i tried to adjust them think that may have been timing chain slapping?
did you say you put a new timming chain in ?..if you did..then something is making it jump off the timming chain upper or lower sprocket..if you changed out the upper timming chain sprocket..did you count the teeth ..and compaired it to the old one ?..if you got the wrong cam sprocket..it will get out of time real quick..which would explain why your piston hit your valves..everything has to be right..if one thing is wrong..it will cause a chain re-action to engine failure...check..double check..and when you think it might be right..check it again..make sure you got everything right..chain..tensioner..cam..rockers..adjusted the rockers when cold..check the lower timming chain gear..make sure it's the right size < teeth wise >..last but not least....look where your cam rides at the upper sprocket..see if there is any wear at all..if there is..this will cause you trouble.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member #2132
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetree View Post
Quote:
did you say you put a new timming chain in ?..if you did..then something is making it jump off the timming chain upper or lower sprocket..if you changed out the upper timming chain sprocket..did you count the teeth ..and compaired it to the old one ?..if you got the wrong cam sprocket..it will get out of time real quick..which would explain why your piston hit your valves..everything has to be right..if one thing is wrong..it will cause a chain re-action to engine failure...check..double check..and when you think it might be right..check it again..make sure you got everything right..chain..tensioner..cam..rockers..adjusted the rockers when cold..check the lower timming chain gear..make sure it's the right size < teeth wise >..last but not least....look where your cam rides at the upper sprocket..see if there is any wear at all..if there is..this will cause you trouble.
no i did not change chain was on a budget it looked fine tho the timing sprocket came off a 300 allso theyer the same
Old 02-24-2010, 08:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetree View Post
Quote:
no i did not change chain was on a budget it looked fine tho the timing sprocket came off a 300 allso theyer the same
i can't say if the 300 timming chain sprocket is the same..but..i surely would get a new timming chain..maybe someone else here can tell you if the sprockets from your bike..and the 300 are the same..i don't know..but..it looks like you need a timming chain to me :-)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Search tags for this page

300ex timing chain adjustment

300ex timing chain tensioner

300ex timing marks

98 300ex timing marks
honda 110 timing chain strech?

honda 300ex timing chain adjustment

honda 300ex timing diagram

honda 300ex timing marks

how to adjust timing chain on 300ex
how to adjust timming chain on 300ex

how to put on timing chain 1998 honda 300 ex atv

how to put on timing chain 1998 honda 300ex atv

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.