Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2012, 06:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member #21987
View Aldarkcloud's Photo Gallery(0)
Honda recon problems

I purchased a 04 Honda recon and I was wondering how much compression is it supposed to have it has around 180-185 with a couple of squirts of wd40 in cylinder I got it from a young person n they really didn't take care of it too good so I'm just making sure of what I need n if it's worth putting more money into it
Aldarkcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 08-11-2012, 08:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
View shadetree's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 164 times
any time you have to use oil in the cylinder to raise the compression ?..this means your rings are bad...and you will need new rings..and a hone. that is..if your cylinder is not too far gone ?. if you can keep 180 to 185 in the cylinder without putting oil in the cylinder ?..then your good to go !..if it takes oil every time to get those numbers ?..then it's time for new rings and a hone..again..if your cylinder is not too far gone ??..you can get by with just a light cylinder hone. oh..and welcome to the forums !.
Old 08-12-2012, 02:01 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member #21987
I had put the oil in there cause it had been sitting for a couple of yrs and I noticed I can feel air out of the dipstick hole when I was checking compression is that normal
Old 08-12-2012, 09:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldarkcloud View Post
I had put the oil in there cause it had been sitting for a couple of yrs and I noticed I can feel air out of the dipstick hole when I was checking compression is that normal
no..that is not normal..this means compression is bypassing your rings..if it has sat for a few years..then you may luck out and get the rings to unstick ?..worst case though..the cylinder has formed rust on the cylinder walls..and when your trying to crank it..your wearing what is left of the rings down to nothing !. soooooo..keep in mind..you still may need to tear the cylinder down..and replace the rings and hone the cylinder ?.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #417
View TRX2fiveO's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 54 times
Welcome to the forums
07 Suzuki LTZ250 (Sons)
00 TRX350TM 4X2 (Resale bike)
01 TRX250EX (TLC Needed)

Progress and Help
JETTING
SERVICE_MANUALS
MOOSE_WAGON_makeover
2000_Rancher_Build
TRX2fiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:31 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member #1741
View snapper's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 1 times
some air will come out the dipstick hole from the piston moving.. i would clean the carb or what ever and see how it runs starts or if it smokes.. Then if there are issues start diagnosing.. check compression again after u run it a bit and give the rings a chance. the oil will help loosen the rings if there is an issue..

later!! chris

Last edited by snapper; 08-12-2012 at 10:34 AM.
snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 04:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member #21987
Thanks for all the info I know the fellow had to have sunk it cause it still had a little water in breather box n the oil looked kinda milky so there is no telling what I'm gonna have to do to it I did pull valve caps off to c if there was any rust n I didn't c any but there is no telling what he put it thru that he didn't tell me
Old 08-12-2012, 04:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
Quote:
Thanks for all the info I know the fellow had to have sunk it cause it still had a little water in breather box n the oil looked kinda milky so there is no telling what I'm gonna have to do to it I did pull valve caps off to c if there was any rust n I didn't c any but there is no telling what he put it thru that he didn't tell me
your welcome. depending on how much time and cash you have ?..if it were me ?..lol...i'd do a complete engine tear down, and rebuild it from the inside out..but this is me !..lol.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member #21987
Yeah that's the way I'm leaning but don't wanna sink more in it than what it's worth the only good thing about it right now is the battery is good n it's a Honda I had gotten it for my little girl I'm already up to about 350 dollars n that's just fixing or replacing everything that is broke or just in really bad shape
Old 08-13-2012, 11:44 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
Quote:
Yeah that's the way I'm leaning but don't wanna sink more in it than what it's worth the only good thing about it right now is the battery is good n it's a Honda I had gotten it for my little girl I'm already up to about 350 dollars n that's just fixing or replacing everything that is broke or just in really bad shape
if case you haven't learned yet ??..lol...there is nothing cheap at all in owning a atv !!..lol...they are nice to ride..but come with a hefty price tag to keep running !..lol.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Search tags for this page
2012 honda recon problems
atv did not home cylinder with new rings

honda recon atv problems

honda recon good compression oil out of exhaust
honda recon had water and oil in tail pipe
honda recon how much compression

honda recon maintenance

honda recon oil in exhaust
honda recon problem

honda recon problems

normal maintenance for honda recon
what all you need to replace the rings on a 01 honda recon
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.