Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2012, 09:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member #18610
View jakoby's Photo Gallery(0)
Honda 200e ATC timing.

Hey guys, I am back again, have got my 83 200 running like a top, recently picked up an 84 200 3 wheeler which needs some work, but that's not what I am here for tonight.

Tomorrow I will be trading for a Kawasaki Bayou with a Honda 200E three wheeler engine. Not sure of the year right now.

All it supposedly needs is a new spark advance. Now my question is...While talking with the guy today he mentioned once I get a new one I will need to adjust the timing, Is this correct?

If so my other question is, can anyone out there explain to me in laymans terms on how to do this? I have read some forums and an article written back in the 80's about this, but still having a hard time understanding. (I am a "Hands on learner" once I see it done I can do it myself.) Can anyone explain to me how to do this... but dumb it down a bit? As far as I know I have all the tools to do so ie: wrenches sockets feeler gauge, and timing light.

Thanks in advance, Have learned alot now but timing and wiring are two things I cant quite understand yet( I was never good with electricity)
jakoby is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 07-28-2012, 10:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member #14912
View hondafourtax's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 2 times
Locate the case cover on the left side of the ATV. Remove the inspection covers on the case cover using Allen head wrenches unplug the spark plug Identify the "T" on the flywheel; this signifies the "top dead center." Use a ratchet to turn the flywheel counterclockwise until you align the "T" mark with the notch in the case cover Unbolt the rocker cover or valve cover using the sockets. Keep the piston at top dead center as you perform this step. Verify that the camshaft lobes are facing straight down. Check to make sure the indicator lines on the camshaft sprocket are horizontally aligned with the cylinder head of your engine. Unbolt your cam chain tensioner to adjust the position of your camshaft sprocket as needed Tighten your cam chain tensioner; simultaneously make sure that everything stays aligned
hondafourtax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
View Helmut's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 11 times
All you have to do is turn the flywheel and align the "F" mark (not T mark) with the index mark on the side of the timing plug hole and then make sure the cam rotor is aligned with the exact center of the pulse generator. There should be a mark on the pulse generator, too, so you can align them.

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Helmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafourtax View Post
Locate the case cover on the left side of the ATV. Remove the inspection covers on the case cover using Allen head wrenches unplug the spark plug Identify the "T" on the flywheel; this signifies the "top dead center." Use a ratchet to turn the flywheel counterclockwise until you align the "T" mark with the notch in the case cover Unbolt the rocker cover or valve cover using the sockets. Keep the piston at top dead center as you perform this step. Verify that the camshaft lobes are facing straight down. Check to make sure the indicator lines on the camshaft sprocket are horizontally aligned with the cylinder head of your engine. Unbolt your cam chain tensioner to adjust the position of your camshaft sprocket as needed Tighten your cam chain tensioner; simultaneously make sure that everything stays aligned
I believe he's wanting to know how to adjust the ignition timing, not the cam timing. He's replacing the spark advancer assembly on the end of the camshaft. Good explanation on the cam timing, though.

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member #18610
Thanks for the replies guys, both were great. The cam timing will come in handy when I do the rings on the 84 3 wheeler. Helmut, I did what you said to do, and even found a step by step picture guide, everything looks to be correct now but still no start and cannot figure out what I may be missing. I got it to sputter twice just the one time though, I've tried adjusting idle screw on carb. It sounds like it wants to start but just wont go.

I should add that it is an electric start motor but there is no ignition switch hooked up, could that be preventing it from starting? I know in my 84 even without the battery it needs the key, but on the 200e there is no loose wires , is it possible to bypass the ignition and have it start?
Old 07-30-2012, 10:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakoby View Post
I should add that it is an electric start motor but there is no ignition switch hooked up, could that be preventing it from starting?
I don't know.....depends on how it's hooked up. It's possible to bypass the ignition switch if it's done correctly. You said this engine was in a Bayou frame, right? Are you using the Honda wiring harness?

Old 07-31-2012, 02:49 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member #18610
I am really not sure, I havent had a good chance to check out the bike and also I wouldn't really know hot to tell. But when I got it home yesterday it was pouring rain and then got a stripped screw head so I gave up, by the time I got home today er... yesterday to work on it, by the time I got everything done it was dark out( so I checked the spark and its good, lol.) but thinking on it now... it has a Honda engine but everything else seems to be Kawasaki including the gas tank, but... now that I think of it I don't think there is a fuel filter... could that affect it as well? The only think I can find resembling a filter is right outside the tank there is a sort of reddish tube that is the same size as the fuel lines in between the tank and carb.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:01 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
If you have a good strong blue spark, try spraying a little starting fluid into the back of the carb and see if it will try to start. Or pour a little gas down into the sparkplug hole and put the sparkplug back in quickly and see if it tries to start. It won't take much gas......about 2 pepsi/coke bottle caps full or something like that. The carb might be stopped up.

Old 08-01-2012, 11:58 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member #18610
Went out today, checked timing once more time, put fuel in the plug hole.. nothing.pulled and pulled, nothing. then I realized the killswitch was set to off(someone must have bumped it) turned it on pulled and got a sputter, pulled it again got a back fire, and then nothing once again, I am really stumpped. Could there be something else I am missing? Cam timing is off? I am almost at the point where I am ready to pay someone but at 45 bucks an hour I am not sure if I'd be able to afford it.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:23 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member #18610
Went out and rechecked timing once again, made a few adjustments and then got mad and gave it a good hard yank, all of a sudden* sputter sputter sputter sputter* It sounds like its trying to start now, daughter seen smoke coming out of the exhaust more then once, i kept pulling with the same results, changed the carb with one I know is working, same results. It sounds like its about to go but then cuts out again, tried a new plug and I don't seem to get the same results as with the original plug that it came with.

What else could it be, I hope its not wiring because I'm screwed when it comes to electrical.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Search tags for this page
200 m cameshaft and timing
83 honda 200e timing marks
atc200s tdc
hohonda atc 200 timing chain tensioner adjustment
honda 200s timming marks
honda atc timing chain
how do the timing marks set on honda 200 cc engine
how to adjust timing chain tensioner on honda 200 atc

how to time a 1990 200 honda atc

timing marks 1984 200s
timing marks on honda 200s atc
timming marks on atc honda 200s
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.