Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2012, 08:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member #20881
View josh8697's Photo Gallery(0)
Arrow Oil not showing on dipstick? honda 420 trx

I searched for this and i didn't find anything that close related so i thought i would post. I'm sort of a newbie when it comes to ATV's "just got it last year".. so be easy on me, ok?... OK?!!?! lol j/k

I bought a 2011 honda trx 420 canadian trail edition last year. So i did an oil change "*second oil change*, the first one was at the honda dealer, they wanted to do the first one for some reason".. but anyway, i let it warm up before i drained it and i also replaced the oil filter. I used "GN4 genuine 4-stroke motorcycle oil, SAE 10W-30 SJ".

The thing is, i filled it up with 2.8 liters, but none is showing on the dipstick. I looked at where i put the oil in, and it's filled to the top. I did what the manual said and let it idle for 5 minutes, shut it off and wait 2-3 minutes, then check the oil, nothing... and yes, i did put the oil in the right hole!

Also, the honda dealer told me to put in 2.8 liters, which i did, but i read in the manual that it calls for 3.6-3.8 liters of oil.. kinda weird.. it's filled up though with 2.8 liters but nothing is showing on the dipstick at all, i even screwed the dipstick in and nothing touches it... did i do something wrong?

Sorry for the long story, but if you can help me i will luv you long time! lol Thanks
josh8697 is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 07-13-2012, 08:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member #15918
View Honda_Shadow18's Photo Gallery(0)
Make sure that you are on level ground. and otherwise maybe rock the machine back and forth to get the oil moving.
FMF Heat Shield
Velocity Intake Kit
Powermadd Handguards
Dunlop Radials
SS rims
Vapor Speedometer
Joker Graphics Kit
AC front grab bar and nerf bars

Last edited by Honda_Shadow18; 07-13-2012 at 08:45 PM.
Honda_Shadow18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member #4493
View jkhuntin's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 1 times
I always go with the what the manual says, if like said above, you're on leval ground and it's not showing on the dipstick, it's not full. And do not run it with low oil!!!!!!
27" mudlites, ITP SS212's
710 BBK and hot cams mudbuster
HMF Utility series slip on pipe
Mud bike

2004 Rancher 400AT
Bone stock
Hunting and trail bike.

2013 Rancher 420 AT.
jkhuntin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #16201
View kentco's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 327 times
You definately need around 4 liters. You may have to let the oil circulate a little bit before you are able to add the remainder of the oil. By the way, the reason that the dealer wanted to do the first oil change is simple: $$$$$$$
You could have don't it yourself and saved a lot of money.
Good Day Sir.

USFS Motorized Trail Maintenance Volunteer
Underwater Videographer
*2011 Rancher 420AT
*2012 Rincon 680

HONDA SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOADS: http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums...all-years.html
**When you go to the above link, scroll down and select the Honda ATV model that you are interested in. Then, the password to download the service manual is: hondaatvforums
kentco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member #17833
View sabre54's Photo Gallery(0)
As you mentioned above, you "looked where I put oil in and its filled to the top". If so, the dipstick would have to go into the oil when you put it in as that's also the hole where you fill it up. Otherwise as the others stated, make sure you're on level ground. The manual says fill with: 2.7L after draining, 2.8L after draining and filter change, 3.1L after disassembly. the oil can take a while to circulate throughout the engine after an oil change.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
View Helmut's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 11 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh8697 View Post
Also, the honda dealer told me to put in 2.8 liters, which i did, but i read in the manual that it calls for 3.6-3.8 liters of oil.. kinda weird.. it's filled up though with 2.8 liters but nothing is showing on the dipstick at all, i even screwed the dipstick in and nothing touches it... did i do something wrong?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentco View Post
You definately need around 4 liters. You may have to let the oil circulate a little bit before you are able to add the remainder of the oil. By the way, the reason that the dealer wanted to do the first oil change is simple: $$$$$$$
You could have don't it yourself and saved a lot of money.
Good Day Sir.
Welcome to the forums. Which model 420 Rancher do you have? Remember there's two different models of the 420 Rancher. The foot shift or ES model holds 2.8 liters and the auto tranny model holds 3.6 liters.

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Helmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member #17833
View sabre54's Photo Gallery(0)
I think the trail edition is auto tranny, so I guess it does take 3.6L, thus probably why the oil doesn't show.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:07 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member #10220
View falconblack's Photo Gallery(0)
I think post a pic and then you will know for sure.
falconblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 02:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
jdp

Member #16593
View jdp's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 14 times
reply to oil post

Josh 6897, this is jdp, Did ya think bout using a thicker oil when you break it in? I did the same thing with my Honda 300 and it Runs like a top, Let me tell ya why they need a thicker oil, lets say you have the factory oil, when you warm up ur not gettin enough cushion between the bearing and the interals, and it wont get the thicker coating of oil it needs, see when oil is warm it thins down, and 10w oil will thin down to 5w when warmed up, now 15w40 oil, 40 is thw eight of the oil and when it warms up the oil thins out to 15w and thats what you want, you want that extra cushion, (" I run mine like that year round cause I talked to the mechanic and my honda dealer and thats what he said") ( I change my oil once a year cause i dont run it that much, and I keep it cleaned up too).

1993 Honda 300
Superwinch Terra 35/synthetic rope
AMS Swampfox front 23x8x11, GBC dirt devils 25x12x9 rear
"Go prepared even if you think you don't need it".
330 CCA Diehard battery in rear storage box.
KFI winch mount
jdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:33 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member #20881
View josh8697's Photo Gallery(0)
Thanks for your reply's everyone, i got up this morning and i checked the oil and it was on the dipstick finally (about half way to the full mark), i guess it just takes four - eight hours to circulate through the engine. I put almost the rest of the third bottle of oil in so that would be around 2.9 liters. It says in my manual though "after draining and oil filter change 3.6 US qt (3.6 liters)".. so i'm missing 0.6 liters. When i was draining the oil i even jacked the atv up in the back and more oil drained out, i also ran it before i drained it to get the oil thinner. (Maybe i didn't warm it up enough? i had it running for about 3-5 minutes or so..) Oh, and yes, i had it on an even surface the whole time (garage floor)...C'Mon people! Have a little faith in me! lol

Ummm well it's automatic and manual.. you can choose which one to use. When it's in manual all you gotta do is let off the gas, shift up, and apply gas again... there's no clutch involved. So i'm not sure if it would take more oil then a regular standard or not. When it's in auto, just apply the gas and go..lol.

Oh and Sabre54, there's one hole to the left of the engine to fill up the oil and another hole on the right side of then engine to check how much oil is in it (dipstick).

So yeah, my problem is solved, i just had to wait longer to check it (even though my manual says to wait 2-3 minutes after shutting it off to check it).. but i'm still confuzled about how i'm missing 0.6 liters of oil. Also, i checked the manual to see if i have the right one for my atv, and yes, i do. I also checked the oil about 10 times in a 2 hour period before coming on here and asking for help.. (just so nobody tells me to have some patience!)

Thanks again everyone.

Last edited by josh8697; 07-14-2012 at 06:43 PM.
josh8697 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Search tags for this page
2000 honda rancher has oil in the crankcase but nothing on dipstick why
honda trx420 oil filter location
how i change oil on my 420 rancher
how many oil to change oil on 420 rancher

how much oil do you put in a 2009 420 4 wheeler

how much oil is in an engine if it's not showing on dipstick
how much oil to use 2014 honda rancher 420

how to change oil on 2011 honda rancher

how u check oil on 420 rancher
oil will not circulate on 400 honda quad
where is the dip stick on 2013 honda rancher 420
why doesn't honda show oil on dip stick
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.