Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2012, 09:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member #18163
View 83ATCnoob's Photo Gallery(0)
Question 83 Honda 110 ATC engine repair questions

I'll just get right into it....

Got the ATC from my pops after it had been sitting in a garage for about 10 years. My uncle (his brother) in a drunken rage launched the thing into a reservoir thinking it was funny. I worked afterwards but it's had issues ever since then.

First thing I did was rebuild the carb. That's when I noticed it had a 71 Honda CT90 carb on it. Ordered the correct one from ebay and slapped it on. Still won't turn.

Then I checked the spark plug. The gap was set at .040 so I adjusted it to .025 and still won't turn. Sprayed carb cleaner in the hole, replaced spark plug and not even a pop!

Took the CDI unit apart and cleaned all the parts to be sure it was functioning properly. There was a lot of what looked like calcium but got it all cleaned out. Still won't turn.

Got a compression gauge and found out it has 0 psi now. It had compression before I started working on it so I ordered new gaskets for the pieces I worked on and a new spark plug just incase it was the wrong one.

Now... I tried to do a value adjustment but had no idea what I was doing and I think that may have messed with the compression.

I'm wondering if I should rebuild the cylinder head? Would this be a better way to adjust the valves? Any other ideas what the problem could be? I don't wanna rip this thing apart if I don't need to.

Thank you for your time and assistance.....
83ATCnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 04-27-2012, 04:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member #11544
View Melatv's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 19 times
Ok to adjust the valves, remove the recoil starter
Turn the generator rotor counterclockwise until the "T" mark aligns with the timing index mark on the stator.
Both the tappets should have a little play which is TDC (very little play will be felt because it is .003 " of play)
If you have no play in the tappets turn the rotor 360 degrees again and realign it up with the mark on the on the stator as before.
Use a .003 feeler gauge to set the valves. Try this first then go from there.
2500 Runva Winch
Winter Pak Plus 2/4 Zone Thumb & Hand Warmers

If all the animals run in one direction follow them.

If you can't soar with the Eagles, then run with the Chickens.
Melatv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member #18163
View 83ATCnoob's Photo Gallery(0)
Thanks Melatv.. I appreciate the time you took to respond and I'm sure that information will come in very handy.

Since I broke a couple gaskets messing with the CDI and lost all compression I decided to do a top end rebuild. When I took the head off, the intake valve had so much gunk around it that I don't think the fuel/air mixture was getting into the combustion chamber. It's the most logical reason I can think of given the circumstances but this isn't like the lawnmower engines I'm used to Please correct me if you think I'm mistaken.

The new gaskets should be hear tomorrow and I'm just about done cleaning the top end. I might need some assistance putting this thing back together but I can post pics if I get lost.
83ATCnoob is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Search tags for this page
atc110 how to set timing cdi
compression of 110 cc atv engines

honda 110 atc

honda 110 atc spark plug
honda 90cc no compression after sitting
honda atc 110 engine rebuild kit
honda atc 110 spark plug
honda atc 110 spark plug gap
honda atc engine rebuild kit
how do you do the timing on a honda 110 atc
how to adjust valves on honda 110
spark plug gap for act honda 110
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.