Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2012, 03:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member #17719
View tractorpuller's Photo Gallery(0)
1988 Honda TRX350D - will start, but won't stay running

This is my first post on here, I hope that some of you more knowledgable folks will help me out...

I have a 1988 Honda TRX 350D, and I no more than put a brand new set of tires all the way around it and loaded it on a trailer and hauled it to the farm about 5 miles down the road. I proceeded to jump on it and fire it up and it wouldn't start. It cranked and cranked and never tried to fire. I had an NGK plug in it that wasn't terribly old. I figured that was a cheap thing to try, so I picked up another plug, which happened to be a Champion since the parts store had it on hand. I installed it and it fired right up, ran great for about 15-20 seconds, then died like you turned the key off. I tried to start it again, and it would just crank. Well, last night I tried to fire it up, went out there and hit the starter and it started right off. It ran again for about 15-20 seconds and died instantly. If I let it sit for 20 or 30 minutes it will do the same thing, however if I try to start it right after it dies, it might hit just for a second or so, then nothing. I've got a mechanical background, just don't have a lot of experience with ATV's. I am almost certain this is an electrical issue, since it does not spit or sputter before it dies. The gas is fresh in the tank and this started very suddendly. The ol' thing has never give a bit of trouble before and I've owned it about 3 years. I don't have a book or anything to diagnose it, so I was hoping someone else has had a similar issue and can help me out! Thanks a bunch!!!
tractorpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 04-11-2012, 04:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #8365
View Deeperinthabush's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 11 times
Welcome to da forums...I say clean the carb,petcock,tank thoroughly,replace fuel line with new,and install a new inline fuel filter,then check the fuel pump relay under the rear fender as well as the fuses,grounds,coil wire,and finally the run/off switch in that order...Check the schematics/manuals section for a free e manual as well as owners manuals as well as tips for cleaning carbs,etc...
FREE REPAIR MANUALS >>http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums...all-years.html 1986-1992 trx350 parts for sale>>http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums/atv-parts-sale/29225-complete-part-out-1986-fourtrax-350-a.html
Deeperinthabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member #17719
I did check the fuses under the back compartment where the battery is located, all of them are in good working order. I may be way off base, but I figure if it was a fuel problem, the engine would sputter and cut out from a lack of fuel. It does not exhibit signs of being flooded or starved for fuel. What are the chances of it being an ignition module or something similar? I will check to see if I can find a manual on here. Thanks for the welcome!!
Old 04-11-2012, 04:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #8365
View Deeperinthabush's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 11 times
It's prolly a fuel pump,or pump relay issue as that's the most common trouble with the old 350D models...The relay is located under the rear fender,black box with 4 screws in it I believe...Check for fire at the plug when it dies,if it fires,then it hasta be a fuel problem...
FREE REPAIR MANUALS >>http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums...all-years.html 1986-1992 trx350 parts for sale>>http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums/atv-parts-sale/29225-complete-part-out-1986-fourtrax-350-a.html
Deeperinthabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:07 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member #17719
Well, after printing off a service manual on the ol' 350, I started checking into it last night. I started at the CDI box, and everything on the harness end checked out okay. I then did a spark test and saw that I had spark. So, I naturally started thinking fuel problem.... After checking the fuel pump, fuel cut out relay, lines, and filters I determined that I was getting fuel to the carb. So my next thought was to check the spark again...this time I did not have spark. So intermitten spark is why the thing will run at times and not at others. CDI box? I didn't see anything in the manual about how to check the box itself, but in my experience with other engines when a coil goes bad, it is just plain bad. There is no coming and going with them. Any other thoughts or ideas??? Thanks again!
Old 04-12-2012, 09:29 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member #14306
View 1991honda350's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 1 times
i had an intermittent spark issue on my old girl (no... not the wife) it is a 1991 trx 350 , almost identical to your bike and my issue turned out to be the stator 500$ later and it was all good , but i am never taking it back to a shop lol

1991 Honda 350 (the beast)snorkeled, vampire tires on the back diff clutch mod, led headlights
1988 fourtrax 300-stock so far ( wifes ride)
1990 ford ranger -fishing truck
1977 ford f250- firewood truck, quad hauler
Yamaha moto4 225
check out my youtube page here... http://www.youtube.com/user/brett196...d?feature=mhee
1991honda350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
View shadetree's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1991honda350 View Post
i had an intermittent spark issue on my old girl (no... not the wife) it is a 1991 trx 350 , almost identical to your bike and my issue turned out to be the stator 500$ later and it was all good , but i am never taking it back to a shop lol
not the wife eh ?????..lmfaoooooooooo..tooooo freakying funny bro !!!. and yes..he can have a bad c.d.i.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:32 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
View shadetree's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractorpuller View Post
Well, after printing off a service manual on the ol' 350, I started checking into it last night. I started at the CDI box, and everything on the harness end checked out okay. I then did a spark test and saw that I had spark. So, I naturally started thinking fuel problem.... After checking the fuel pump, fuel cut out relay, lines, and filters I determined that I was getting fuel to the carb. So my next thought was to check the spark again...this time I did not have spark. So intermitten spark is why the thing will run at times and not at others. CDI box? I didn't see anything in the manual about how to check the box itself, but in my experience with other engines when a coil goes bad, it is just plain bad. There is no coming and going with them. Any other thoughts or ideas??? Thanks again!
bad stator..bad pick up coil ?..bad reg/rec ?..or bad c.d.i. bro. keep in mind..the stator's on these ole gal's have two charging sides to them..one side fires the battery through the reg/rec, and the other charging side fires your c.d.i. through the pick up coil, if this side is bad ?..you won't get consistent fire to your c.d.i.. my money is on your c.d.i.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Search tags for this page
1988 honda trx 350d carb aid fuel problem

1988 honda trx350d

1992 honda trx300 won't stay running
atv starts but will not run

atv starts but wont run

atv will start but not stay running

atv will start but wont stay running

atv wont stay running

honda atv wont stay running

honda utv wont stay running
my atv wont stay running
why wont my 2012 honda foreman stay running
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.