Honda ATV Forum banner

New Carb or What on 250EX

12K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  300ex power by monster 
#1 ·
Having carb issues with the wife’s 2002 250ex and came up with three options. First could take the carb off and do a full cleaning, second take carb off and install a full carb kit 250EX TRX 250 EX 01-05 CARB CARBURETOR REBUILD KIT : eBay Motors (item 350305679667 end time Feb-14-10 13:52:44 PST) $20ish, or third put a full new OEM carb on honda trx250ex 250ex carburetor new japanese KEIHIN trx : eBay Motors (item 150332945359 end time Feb-09-10 17:30:29 PST) $50ish. The thing with the cleaning or carb kit is time, what is it worth? Also what if I do the cleaning and it don’t fix it and then I go to the carb kit and need more parts (float and so on), would be over that $50 in time and parts. What type of adjusting is needed with new carb or a kit? I have done some carb kits in small industrial engines but never and atv and looks to have a few more parts. What happened is the 250 got less and less use with the more kids we had and now it is ready to be used plenty again. What happened is this sat awhile and started running crappy, sat some more and run worse, took the bowl off cleaned what I could reach and it ran a little better but not right, sat more then wouldn’t run without the choke on, sat more now having trouble even starting it. I did use staybal and have drained the tank and now use Seafoam in all my engines, gas or diesel. Anything would help. Thanks

#2 ·
I would take it off and clean it good myself, but if you think you may have trouble with it or don't really have the time, I would go ahead and get the new OEM carb. Around $50 is a good price on a new carb. That's just my opinion.

#3 ·
Agree^^^^ You may also be able to clean it without any cost but a couple cans of carb and choke cleaner. you nee to have a torch tip cleaning set handy about 5 to 8 bucks at your local NAPA remove the carb and any o-rings you see carb cleanerd will swell them. just give it a good cleaning chances are you have shelacked up inside the carb which is relatively simple to cleanout just take your time and you will be ok. also make sure you have a good clean area to work on I suggest a big towel too that way if you drop anything it won't bounce to oblivion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.