Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2012, 12:42 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member #11490
View lilhunter1982's Photo Gallery(0)
2001 Honda Recon 250 Clutch Slipping

I have a 2001 Honda Recon 250..Ive put a new clutch basket in it and a new one way clutch bearing.. when i drive on the road it feels fine but when im on a trail and really crank down on the gas i feel the clutch slipping... i did not replace the sentrifugal clutch pads...do you think it is the sentrifugal pads?
lilhunter1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 04-08-2012, 12:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
View Helmut's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 11 times
When you replaced the clutch basket, did you replace the clutch discs, too? I'm assuming that's what you meant. If so, then yes, it could be the centrifugal clutch slipping.

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Helmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member #11490
yeah thats what I ment..sorry.. i will say when i seen the centrifugal clutch pads..that they looked like burnt up bricks.. chipped away
Old 04-09-2012, 12:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilhunter1982 View Post
yeah thats what I ment..sorry.. i will say when i seen the centrifugal clutch pads..that they looked like burnt up bricks.. chipped away
Yeah, it sounds like they've been slipping. You can measure how much lining is left on them. The service manual lists the specs. Also, check the inside of your clutch drum for excessive grooving where the clutch blocks engage.

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:08 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member #11490
well i figured out the problem... i mean i figured that its the clutch plates slipping.. silly me put motor oil in my atv insted of atv oil.... so now im replacing the discs once again
Old 05-12-2012, 11:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #8365
View Deeperinthabush's Photo Gallery(0)
Soak the new discs in wet clutch approved dino oil for 24 hours prior to installing them,and scuff the steels with a scotch brite pad before you put it all back together,or it'll likely slip again,and not hold as well,or as long as it should...More than likely the slipping new plates caused a glaze to build up on the steels,and it has to be removed,or you'll be on another set of discs pretty quickly...
FREE REPAIR MANUALS >>http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums...all-years.html 1986-1992 trx350 parts for sale>>http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums/atv-parts-sale/29225-complete-part-out-1986-fourtrax-350-a.html
Deeperinthabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeperinthabush View Post
Soak the new discs in wet clutch approved dino oil for 24 hours prior to installing them,and scuff the steels with a scotch brite pad before you put it all back together,or it'll likely slip again,and not hold as well,or as long as it should...More than likely the slipping new plates caused a glaze to build up on the steels,and it has to be removed,or you'll be on another set of discs pretty quickly...
X2, that's how I do it, too.

Old 05-16-2012, 01:25 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member #11490
I ordered new discs and new steels...they should be in today...i also bought honda 10/40 atv oil.... i had already planned on soaking the plates for 24 hrs...do i still need to scuff the new steels? im figuring yes
Old 05-16-2012, 02:04 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
You wouldn't have to scuff the new plates, but it wouldn't hurt anything either.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Search tags for this page
2000 honda recon 250 clutch slipping
2001 honda recon 250 clutch
2001 honda recon 250 clutch adjustment
2001 honda recon 250 owners manual
2001 honda recon 250 specs
honda recon 250 clutch kit

honda recon 250 clutch slipping

honda recon clutch kit
honda recon clutch slippage

honda recon clutch slipping

recon 250clutch side one way clutch
recon clutch kit
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.