Honda ATV Forum banner

Valves...when to adjust...

16K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Alfresco 
#1 ·
Hello again to all. I have a 05' 400ex that might be due for a valve adjustment. I am wondering if there should be any sound at all coming from the top end. I can here a light ting sound. Especially after I throttle it. Should there be some light noise even with perfectly adjusted valves and a tight motor? Or should an adjusted and tight 400ex only emit the exhaust system sound? I'm not sure of the hours put on this thing. I bought it used from a rougher neck (lol) then me and have only given this quad the tlc it deserves since. It does not through smoke at all. Thank you to anyone who reads this.

Ride on

#2 ·
I only adjust valves if I have the top end apart, but then again I don't have time to ride much anymore. Hondas in my experience will usually have some top end noise so I don't pay too much attention

Rob

#4 ·
I basically just check mine once a year in my normal go through the whole machine maintenance. Both of my Zuks sound like a sewing machine in the valvetrain, which is basically perfect. Some engines are make more valvetrain noise than others. If their in spec, and nothing is worn, and you see no signs of exhaust smoke on start up pointing to valve stem seals needing attention you are good to go. I have chewed up cams, and heads in the past on Honda's that didn't have external oil cooler's, which your EX does. Without a doubt the best engine Honda has ever had,,in dirt bikes or the 400ex. Besides the 250r two stroke of course,,,lol!

#6 ·
That's not what the service manual says for the 1999 - 2003 models. It says the initial adjustment should be done at 20 hours. And every 100 miles after that. Doubt they changed it that much for the 2005's.

You can find the manual for your year here: Honda ATV Schematics / Manual Help - Honda ATV Forum The maintenance schedule, is found handily, in the maintenance section.

Welcome to the forum Thisguyrides!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.