Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2012, 10:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member #17143
View Bethlehem's Photo Gallery(0)
Carb Adjustment Help - '84 TRX 200

Hello! This is my first post here and I'm glad to see a forum like this exists! I hope I'm not beating a dead horse... and I did some searches first and found most of the info I needed but...

1984 Honda TRX 200

I'm doing a carb rebuild. I bought a complete rebuild kit and have almost everything figured out thanks to the Service Manual Download section. What they seem to leave out of the service manual is the screw adjustments for the main jet, slow jet and pilot screw. They just say to record the original setting before taking it apart - but this thing has had who knows how many hands on it. I just want to get the carb back to factory settings.

Thanks for any help!
Bethlehem is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 03-22-2012, 11:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
View Helmut's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 10 times
The main jet and slow jet doesn't adjust, they just screw in all the way. The initial setting for the pilot jet is 2-1/4 turns out from lightly seated. Jet needle clip sets on the second groove. Idle speeds sets at 1,400 RPM.

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Helmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
And welcome to the forums.

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:10 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member #17143
Wow, thank you! - I think that does it. It's alive... it's alive!

That was one corroded carb I tell you. It has been sitting with gas in the carb and the petcock open for over a decade. You just can't kill a Honda. (I did have to do some scraping to clean the carb).
Old 03-23-2012, 01:14 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member #4493
View jkhuntin's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 1 times
Welcome from the Volunteer state.
27" mudlites, ITP SS212's
710 BBK and hot cams mudbuster
HMF Utility series slip on pipe
Mud bike

2004 Rancher 400AT
Bone stock
Hunting and trail bike.

2013 Rancher 420 AT.
jkhuntin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:33 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member #17143
Quote:
Welcome from the Volunteer state.
Thanks very much.

We took a vacation to the Smokey Mountains last year. We stayed just outside of "the flat spot" Pigeon Forge. It was beautiful country and we saw a lot of wildlife. Looked like paradise and made me realize how out-of-shape I really am when we hiked. I never realized how serious that mountain range is. I'm glad to have you between the East Coast and myself.

Maybe we can get something done about the travel brochures not mentioning THE car show on the Pigeon Forge strip? We drove 11 hours only to find a 2-hour traffic jam in Pigeon Forge. We drove between 0 and 1 miles per hour for hours 12 and 13 on the way to our cabin which was one hour away. 14 hours later we were there! - I complain but I know being a local must suck so much worse. Beautiful vacation country anyway!
Old 03-23-2012, 10:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member #17143
Well, after taking your advice and carefully rebuilding and adjusting the carb she fired right up on the first crank! I couldn't believe after 7 years it was running again.

There's some fluctuation in the idle. It will run great for a minute at high-ish RPMs and then drop and rise up again. - It eventually dies. - I was wondering if there's some common issue with these old Hondas if I'm going to have to do some more work.

I still have the old spark plug in there but the gas, carb, choke cable, air filter, battery and engine oil are all new. I also have a problem keeping the battery charged which is odd since it's brand new.

As always, thanks for any help.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
If you're having a problem keeping the battery charged, your charging system may not be working properly and that could even be the cause of your fluctuating idle. And I would go ahead and replace the sparkplug, too.

Old 03-24-2012, 02:32 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member #17143
Thank you for the response! The charge I have thus far is from a brand new battery charged by a motorcycle 12V charger over several days. I honestly don't know why it won't turn the little Honda 200 motor. I can only speculate... but the lack of power is something else. I have a running motor and a battery charged by a 12v charger. The starter still won't turn over... The idle won't sustain itself...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Search tags for this page

1984 honda 200 carb problems

1984 honda trx 200 carb settings

1984 honda trx200 carburetor

best way to set the carburetor but a trx 200

carb adjustment on honds 200 trx

carburetor adjustment for honda 200 four wheeler

honda 200 trx 4 wheeler

honda 200s carb settings

honda trx 200 carb adjustment

honda trx 200 carburetor

idler screw on a 84 trx 200

trx 200 carb adjustment

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.