Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2012, 08:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member #17031
View Brucebwp2's Photo Gallery(0)
Honda Trx420 Charging problem.

Hello I own a Honda Trx420 FourTrax Rancher and have been haveing issues were if i dont start it for a few months the battery went dead,well the last time this happened I jump started the ATV but as soon as i took the cables off the battery to let it run it would quit completly. Two weeks ago i bought a new battery for it and it started and runs fine so today i get the voltmeter and test the battery an it says 12.25 while off then runing on idle it says 13.80 and runing with lights is 13.49 but leaveing the voltmeter o nthe battery i pushed the throttle to rev the enging and it droped down to 11.00 10.00 9.00 8.00 then stoped droping at around 7.00 but it would bounce around from 7.00 to 10.00 while giving it steady throttle but as soon as you let the throttle go and it returned to normal idle it climed back up to 13.80. I have read elsewhere that when giving it throttle it should stay at nearly 14.00 is this true and if so what coould be causeing my drop like this?
Brucebwp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 03-18-2012, 08:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member #8144
View bobs330's Photo Gallery(0)
Welcome to the forums form OK. Maybe the alternator or whatever its called on these isnt working properly? Yes it should be around 13.8-14V when running and no more than 12.6V when off and no draw on battery.
Superwinch Terra 25
Moose rear bumper
Fuse powersports trailer hitch
bobs330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member #17029
View Iraqveteran_2006's Photo Gallery(0)
i agree with bobs330. it sounds like the charging system which is called the stator isnt producing the right current. i would test the stator/coil and regulator/rectifier. if you have the owners manual, it should tell you how to and what current rating to have or you can download one online for around 7 bucks. hope this helps!
Iraqveteran_2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
View Helmut's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 9 times
Welcome to the forums. X3, your charging system isn't working properly. More than likely, a bad stator or a bad regulator/rectifier. My guess would be a bad regulator/rectifier. By the way, a good battery should read at least 12.6 volts when fully charged. With the battery installed and the engine revved up, you should see somewhere around 13-15.5 volts.

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Helmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member #17031
View Brucebwp2's Photo Gallery(0)
Thank you for the advice fortunately i have a service manual so ill check in that now about how to test everything and hopefully will find out the problem i nthe next couple days.
Brucebwp2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Search tags for this page

2007 honda rancher es trx420te charging system testing

420 rancher not charging

chargin trouble honda trx 420

honda 420 staattori

honda rancher 420 alternator

honda rancher battery not charging

honda rancher charging system

honda trx 420 problems

honda trx fm battery drain problem

rancher 420 stator problems

trx 420 checking batt

what charges the battery on 2007 trx 420 honda atv

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.