Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2012, 06:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member #16758
View peppy's Photo Gallery(0)
Question help with 500 rubicon rear end

hello i recently got a 2003 honda rubicon and its in pretty rough shape but it starts right up and runs good but on the rear end they welded the rear axle to the hub and i took an air cutter and got the hub off and bought a new axle but how do you take apart the rear end and take the axle out ?
peppy is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 03-08-2012, 07:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
View shadetree's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 120 times
welcome to the forums...remove the right rear castle nut..remove the hub..remove the brakes backing plate 4 nuts on the tube side..remove the left axle nut..and remove the axle tubing from the left rear side..there is a axle bearing spacer on the end of the left axle..it has to go back on the axle facing the right way !!..once this is all removed ?..knock the axle out of the right rear side..use a block of wood on the left side axle when you hammer it out the right side. soooo..to answer your question in short...the backing plate on the brake side has too come off before the axle will come out the right rear side.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
oh..and remove the brake cables from the backing plate before anything!.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member #16758
thank you i have never had an issue where ive had to take the rear end on an atv apart so i just whanted to make sure i did it right also is there a certain way i should stick new bearings in ?
Old 03-08-2012, 07:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member #7607
View Manny's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 4 times
if your going to be installing new diff bearings you will have to split the rear diff. once you do that, they can be pressed or drove out...while your at it, check the carrier bearing in the left axle tube. as well as the brake backing plate bearings.
Manny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppy View Post
thank you i have never had an issue where ive had to take the rear end on an atv apart so i just whanted to make sure i did it right also is there a certain way i should stick new bearings in ?
are you rebuilding the whole rear end ?..or just the rear differental ?..if your rebuilding the rear differental ?..you will need some special tools to replace the bearings in the differental..and if your replacing the brakes backing plate bearing ??.your gonna need new seals..and somme snap rings pliers to get the snap ring out once you pull the backing plate off the axle tubing with the 4 bolts...then you pry the seal out of the backing plate..under that seal should be a snap ring ??..getting the seal out of the backing plate is gonne tear it up..they will not..or most of the time..will not come out in one piece to re-use !. once the seal is out..snap ring is out ?..with a large socket and hammer..you hammer the bearing out..thats all there is to that part. as for the differental ?..your gonna need all new bearings..and all new seals getting the ring gear bearings out of the differental is gonna waste the seals..and getting the pinion gear seal out is gonna waste that seal...once the pinion seal is out ?.this is where your gonna run into needing the special tools to get the lock nut out of the recess...now...if honda did not change much ??...you can use a 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 sqaure tubbing...and fit it down in the star lock nut..and a pipe wrench to unscrew the lock nut...then it's a matter of knocking or pulling the pinion gear out..once the pinon gear is out ?..there is a pinion needle bearing down in the very bottom..this will not be easy to get out !..lol. do a search..i'm sure there is a few threads here explaining how to rebuild a differental. and down load the service manaul from the sight here.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny View Post
if your going to be installing new diff bearings you will have to split the rear diff. once you do that, they can be pressed or drove out...while your at it, check the carrier bearing in the left axle tube. as well as the brake backing plate bearings.
i forgot about that carrier bearing...lol. there is a dust seal there also..and that big axle washer thing ( i forget what the name of it is ? )..i know it has to go back on..and facing the right way !.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member #16758
nope i was just going to replace the axle housing bearings and just wondering how to put the the bearing and seal in the right order lol
Old 03-08-2012, 07:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member #7607
View Manny's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 4 times
ok, well, you can dive the old bearing out with a big socket and an extension from the backside of the axle tube. the seal will come out with it. once you do that. you can press the new bearing in, after that lube the seal up and press that in flush with the end of the axle tube.

Last edited by Manny; 03-08-2012 at 07:42 PM.
Manny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppy View Post
nope i was just going to replace the axle housing bearings and just wondering how to put the the bearing and seal in the right order lol
okkkkk..lol..remove both rear hubs..remove the left rea axle tubbing from the differental..when you pull it off the differental from the left side..it will have a big washer on the axle..make sure it faces the right way..slide it back on the axle if it came off when you slide the tube off ?..now..you got a seal then a double roll bearing inside the left axle tubbing....with a long pipe..and hammer..knock it out the end of the tubbing..then tap new bearings in..new dust seal...now remove the brake cables..remove the right rear hub..remove the 4 nuts off the axle tubbing from the right rear inside axle tubbing..now just knock the brakes backing plate off the axle tubbing..once the backing plate is off ?..pry the dust seal out of the backing plate..under that seal..is your snap ring..remove it..hammer the bearing out that side from the outter side..tap new beairng in..snap ring in..new dust seal in..bolt it back on.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Search tags for this page

2003honda rubicon 500 rear axel bearings

honda 500 atv rear end

honda foreman 500 rear axle

honda rubicon 500 bearings

how replace rear axle honda atv rubicon 500

how to pull bearings out of rear axle tube atv

how to remove rear axel from honda rubicon 500

how to remove rear axle on honda foreman

how to replace left rear bearing 500 rubicon honda

how to take apart a honda 500 reae axle

is there not a bearing in the left side of a honda rubicon

remove and replace rear axle bearing on honda rubicon 500 2002

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.