Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2012, 06:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member #16682
View vanisle87trx350's Photo Gallery(0)
cv axle

how do i remove the right cv axel. I need to change the bearing in the knuckle, and the race don't want to come out.I tried to split them with a hammer and chisel, but nothing.So I want to remove the end of the diff, where the knuckle attache to for easier access,but the axcel is not coming off.

Guy
vanisle87trx350 is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 03-05-2012, 07:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
View shadetree's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 123 times
first..you have to remove the right knuckle..there are two large bolts one the top and bottom of the knuckle..they have a keeper washer around the bottom of one or both ?..i can't remember that part !..sorry..old age..lol. then you can take the bolts out with a large socket..something like a 27mm or 28mm ?..once those two bolts are out of the knuckle ?..remove the tie rod from the knuckle..then just pull the knuckle off the axles cv-joint...oh..and the outter cv-joint does not come apart like the inner cv-joint does !.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
i also think you will need a large allen wrench to remove those two bolts on the knuckle !.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
once you get the knuckle off ?..under the outside dust seal..there is a large snap ring under the seal..you will need a pair of snap ring pliers to remove the snap ring..once the snap ring is out ?..flip the knuckle over..with a large socket and hammer...hammer the bearing out the front side..install new bearing....snap ring back in..new dust seal ( you will tear the old seal up..getting it out ! )..then install it back on the bike.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member #16682
Thank you Shadetree, I got that done already. I was looking at removing the cv shaft from the diff. I finally got it out, now to the race, they are in there pretty tight. I'm letting them soak in wd40 for the night,we'll see in the morning.

Guy
Old 03-05-2012, 08:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanisle87trx350 View Post
Thank you Shadetree, I got that done already. I was looking at removing the cv shaft from the diff. I finally got it out, now to the race, they are in there pretty tight. I'm letting them soak in wd40 for the night,we'll see in the morning.

Guy
your welcome...the right axle/cv-joint...just yank it straight out of the front differental..it pops out..don't mess up your differental seals !..lol. as for your races ?..the ones in the top and bottom of the knuckle ?..or your axle bearing races ?. if your talking about your bearing races ?..pull the front dust seal..if your careful ?..you cannnnnn get it out in one good piece..and re-use it ?..most times though ?..it won't come out in one good piece !..lol. once the dust seal is out ??..flip it like i said..with large socket and hammer ?..hammer the bearing out from the back side towards the front. if the bearing has came apart ??..and your trying to get just the race out ??..you will need a long punch..and a hammer..start hitting the edge of the race..please wear safety glasses !!!!!.if that race shatters ???..it will explode !!..and trust me..it not only hurts ??..but it will cut you up in a heart beat !!..the fragments are very VERY SHARP !. start hammering the edge of the race...work around the whole race..if you keep hammering on just one side ??..your gonna get it wedged in there..and it will be a pain too get out !..lol.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member #16682
thank you .The race i'm trying to get out are those at the top and bottom of the knuckle.They are rusted into the knuckle and you can't go from behind to push them out.

Guy
Old 03-05-2012, 11:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanisle87trx350 View Post
thank you .The race i'm trying to get out are those at the top and bottom of the knuckle.They are rusted into the knuckle and you can't go from behind to push them out.

Guy
if they look good ?..not rough ?..smooth ?..then leave them in there...buy some new bearings...and just pack the one half with some grease..and drop it down in..that's what i do..unless you have a blind bearing puller ?..and even then..it's gonna be hard to get behind and under the race !..you will never get them out...at least not in one piece !..i say...buy the new bearings..and just use the roller part packed with some fresh grease. if the race is beat all to heck ?..then yeah..you need to figure out a way to get them out ???..other than a blind bearing puller ????..i do not know of any other way to get them out...unless you somehow cut them out ??..but that's gonna be hard to do..seeing how they are in at a bad spot !..lol. and you will need new dust seals if you messed the old ones up getting them out ?.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:45 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member #16682
hear you. They are in pretty bad shape.Lot's of rust, i'll see if i can sand them up a bit,and take some of that roughness off.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member #16682
Well I don't think there is an easy way, to take those race out.I ended up sanding them, they came out a lot better, but still rough a little.Lot of grease and new bearing ,it should last a long time before replacing them again.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Search tags for this page

03 rancher cv axel

bearings race on cv axle

does outside cv joint come off on 350 honda rancher

honda atv cv axles

honda rancher 350 4x4 cv axles

honda rancher cv axle

how to change a cv axle in honda atv

how to get honda atv cv shaft apart

how to remove cv axle from 350 rancher
how to take a front axle off a honda 12 rancher
how to take a rancher 350 front axle apart

remove cv nuckle honda atv

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.