Honda ATV Forum banner

HOW TO: Adjust Clutch Freeplay On Honda Utility ATVs (VIDEO)

43K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  jd4440 
#1 ·
#4 ·
The ATC200S in the video, doesn't have a rear suspension, so the chain won't get any tighter when you sit on it.

#5 ·
Just so everyone knows, the clutch free play is adjusted the same way on all Honda utility ATVs. The only difference may be the location of the adjusting screw/bolt. On the older models, such as the one in the video, the adjusting screw will always be on the right crankcase cover. On the newer, longitudinally mounted engines, the adjusting screw will be located on the front crankcase cover.

Reactions: Citrusdude
#7 ·
I had one of them 200S atcs wayyy back in the day until a friend ran it head on into a Monte Carlo totaling them both out..Soo I built a dune buggy outta the back half...

#8 ·
Sometimes the flat head screw/bolt will be seized. Heres what I do. Remove the adjusting nut and washer. Find two other nuts, one 14mm and one 13 mm. The trick is to thread them both on with the 14 mm on first. Once the 14 mm nut is snugged, thread the 13mm nut next and tighten it up so that when you go to loosen the 14mm nut, it is snugged tight enough against the 13 that it frees up the threaded adjusting bolt. You may have to mill the nuts down little thinner to get em both on.

#12 ·
Maybe someone can help me with a my clutch here.

My clutch handle on my 02 300ex was giggly, so I tightened it up with the adjustment provided right up at the handle bars. I test rode it and I felt it slipping, so I loosened it until the handle was just right, not too tight, but not giggling anymore either. And that did it, no more giggly handle, or slipping clutch from it being too tight.

My question is, when I go to start moving, I nearly have to let the clutch handle all the way out before it starts to grab, is this normal?

I'd say I get a little less then a half inch away from being all the way out on the clutch handle before it starts grabbing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.