Honda ATV Forum banner

HOW TO: CLEAN A CARBURETOR (Generic)

26K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Dan G 
#1 ·
HOW TO: CLEAN A CARBURETOR (Generic)
This is a Carb from an old Honda 200 3 wheeler. For the most part, this can be used for all Honda carbs.

The tool he's using in the video is a Honda Jet Cleaner Part # 07JPZ-001010B

Pt.2 Honda ATC200S How To Clean The Carb - YouTube

#2 ·
Thanks for the vid on carb clean.I was a lil nervous about it since it is a vital part of the bike and didnt want to mess it up.
I dove in with both feet today.Bike used to only run w/choke wide open,now it is awesome.
I am now confident in doing this. I have two more to do now.

Much Thanks
Archer870

#3 ·
A poor running ATV can be as frustrating as your in-laws crashing your humble abode for a week. Since we can't help you with your in-laws we'll cover an area of expertise we can aid you with: tuning your ATV's carburetor. While we often refer to the carburetor as the heart of an ATV - it meters the flow of fuel and air - don't let it intimidate you. Cleaning and tuning a carburetor is a task you should be able to handle if you have an ounce or two of technical skills.

If you don't feel confident in your skills after reading this, have an experienced technician or friend walk you through the process or do the work for you. Before we get started let's make sure you have the tools for the job on hand.

#4 ·
I see tons of articles and videos on cleaning carbs. And I can do an okay job of it.

What I don't see is any articles on how to get dirt stains off the carb body (on the outside of the carb of course).

Tried Berryman carb dip and untrasonic cleaner. Can the carb body actually be permanently stained? I am not trying for a polished look, but clean would be nice.

Any advice?

#5 ·
Its really difficult to get that stain off. If you've tried an ultrasonic cleaner what did you use? I think people tried lemon juice? And that got it like new. Some people will boil it in a pot of lemon juice also... I can't remember if they diluted it or not or to what degree... but I imagine thats important, lol.

#6 · (Edited)
What will take it off quickly and without damaging the carb, is soda blasting it. It will clean it right down to the metal. Its safe to use for cleaning the inside of the carb at low pressure as well... since the soda will desolve in a dip through a bucket of water. If no one local does it you can get a cheap soda blast kit from eastwood or similar....

Edit: Found this on google. Looks like an awesome way to do it on the cheap! http://www.aircooledtech.com/tools-on-the-cheap/soda_blaster/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.