Honda ATV Forum banner

HOW TO: Change a Honda Oil Filter

47K views 13 replies 14 participants last post by  jcooperpcola 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Good video, but just note that this video doesn't cover the models with auto transmissions. If you have an auto transmission, the filter usually turns the other way with the rubber grommet seal toward the crankcase or it has a different type filter with a hole that goes all the way through the filter. If you're not sure which type you have, be sure to check the service manual for your particular ATV or ask on the forum. This is very important. If you install the filter wrong, it will damage your engine.

I made this a sticky so everyone can find it easier.

#8 ·
Yep changed oil in both bikes yesterday and had to scratch my head as I knew I installed the AT filter correctly spring on the outside of the filter, rubber grommet towards engine. Got to the ES and it exactly opposite, was like wtf, why did Honda make this procedure different on so many common models?

The AT also holds more oil than the ES or M. And if you don't pour it in slow, you will have oil all over the floor.

#4 ·
and remember to make sure your model has an oil filter

#5 ·
Backwards

Did my first oil change on the Foreman (450) and found the filter installed backwards. I drove it for a while like that. I bought it from a shop used and hope the guy that had first did that and not the shop that sold it to me. I went my the manual by the way, so it was in deed backwards. Engine still running strong, I have gotten my moneys worth out of her.

#9 ·
On my '03 Rincon the filter is not directional (you can mount it in either direction). Yes, I stared at the original filter and the replacement to be sure. However, it's very important to put all of the pieces back together correctly... bolt through cover, then spring, then washer, then filter.

#10 ·
My dealer apparently didn't think the oil filter washer was important enough to put back on after my freebie 20hr oil change. I found this out 80 hours later changing it myself for the first time. They were glad to sell me a replacement.

#12 ·
Common filters like 15412-hm5-a10 and 15410-KFO-315 are important to pay attention to. The 15412-kea-003 can go in either way. BUT make SURE you re install the washer that keep the spring from getting into the filter. I see way to may 500 Rubicons, 650 680 Rincons and the 400 Autos come in without these washers. The 420 Auto 15412-HP7-A01 goes in one way. Just pay attention how it goes in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.