Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2012, 09:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
1970muscle's Avatar
 
Member #16505
Join Date: Feb 2012
View 1970muscle's Photo Gallery(0)
Posts: 4
06 Rancher headlights and starter wont work without back brake and LF brake lever

I'm new- I dont know what to do! (feel like Joe Dirt working in the oil field!)

06 Rancher headlights and starter wont work without back brake and LF brake lever.

Battery and starter solinoid were recently replaced to try and fix problem. I unplugged the rear brake switch and now I can not get the head lights or starter button to work. If i plug it back in and push it and the RF lever the headlights come on (if switched on) and engine will start with button.

Any ideas?
1970muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 02-27-2012, 09:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
 
shadetree's Avatar
 
Member #2048
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: north little rock, ar.
View shadetree's Photo Gallery(0)
Posts: 18,756
Liked: 129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970muscle View Post
I'm new- I dont know what to do! (feel like Joe Dirt working in the oil field!)

06 Rancher headlights and starter wont work without back brake and LF brake lever.

Battery and starter solinoid were recently replaced to try and fix problem. I unplugged the rear brake switch and now I can not get the head lights or starter button to work. If i plug it back in and push it and the RF lever the headlights come on (if switched on) and engine will start with button.

Any ideas?
wow..i've never heard or seen anything like this ???????...now..i did find out yesterday..that a '05 trx400at rancher would not start at all unless the kill switch was set to the '' run '' position !..other than that ?..all was normal to me !. i wish i could tell you what is wrong ??..but i'm as lost as you are !..lol. is it a safety feature built into the bike for that year ???..i have no clue on this one ?.
__________________
'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '83 cx650c , 1998 trx450s foreman 4x4
shadetree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
1970muscle's Avatar
 
Member #16505
Join Date: Feb 2012
View 1970muscle's Photo Gallery(0)
Posts: 4
Thanks.

I could live with the starter that way. The main problem is
That you would have to push and pull 2 brake leavers to have headlights!
1970muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:11 AM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
1970muscle's Avatar
 
Member #16505
Join Date: Feb 2012
View 1970muscle's Photo Gallery(0)
Posts: 4
Please... Any ideas? I have seen a similar post but
The solution was never posted. Thanks
1970muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
 
shadetree's Avatar
 
Member #2048
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: north little rock, ar.
View shadetree's Photo Gallery(0)
Posts: 18,756
Liked: 129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970muscle View Post
Please... Any ideas? I have seen a similar post but
The solution was never posted. Thanks
try tracing the light switch wires down...and seeing if you have a worn spot making a short ?..you should not have to work the brake levers just to get the headlights to work !!!..i'm following you now..nooo..this is not a safety feature..this is a elec issue problem.
__________________
'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '83 cx650c , 1998 trx450s foreman 4x4
shadetree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:40 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
 
kentco's Avatar
 
Member #16201
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Grand Lake, CO
View kentco's Photo Gallery(0)
Posts: 6,451
Liked: 318 times
1970: It sounds like your brake switch, or line is making a ground which is allowing those devices to operate. If that is so, follow the brake cable all the way and see if there are any worn wires along the way. If that isn't it, then it could be that when you pull on the brake cable you are also pulling a wire together somewhere which completes a circuit so that those devices will operate. Again, look along the entire brake cable to see if you have any worn or broken wires. And last, it is very possible that you have a bad ground/chassis connection somewhere. If you have a short circuit (where a positive wire is shorted to the chassis), then you'd be blowing fuses, and you're not doing that. Therefore, it is most likely that you have a bad ground somewhere, and that ground is common to all the devices you listed. Additionally, when you apply the brake, that bad 'ground' is turned into a good 'ground'. Look for loose parts and connections, and bad chassis grounds. And, of course, look for a broken or worn wire along the length of your brake cable. Good luck. This will take some detective work, but I think this information will help you.
__________________

USFS Motorized Trail Maintenance Volunteer
Underwater Videographer
*2011 Rancher 420AT
*2012 Rincon 680


HONDA SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOADS: http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums...all-years.html
**When you go to the above link, scroll down and select the Honda ATV model that you are interested in. Then, the password to download the service manual is: hondaatvforums
kentco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
 
Helmut's Avatar
 
Member #948
Join Date: Oct 2009
View Helmut's Photo Gallery(0)
Posts: 23,815
Liked: 10 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentco View Post
1970: It sounds like your brake switch, or line is making a ground which is allowing those devices to operate. If that is so, follow the brake cable all the way and see if there are any worn wires along the way. If that isn't it, then it could be that when you pull on the brake cable you are also pulling a wire together somewhere which completes a circuit so that those devices will operate. Again, look along the entire brake cable to see if you have any worn or broken wires. And last, it is very possible that you have a bad ground/chassis connection somewhere. If you have a short circuit (where a positive wire is shorted to the chassis), then you'd be blowing fuses, and you're not doing that. Therefore, it is most likely that you have a bad ground somewhere, and that ground is common to all the devices you listed. Additionally, when you apply the brake, that bad 'ground' is turned into a good 'ground'. Look for loose parts and connections, and bad chassis grounds. And, of course, look for a broken or worn wire along the length of your brake cable. Good luck. This will take some detective work, but I think this information will help you.
X2, this ↑↑↑↑↑ has to be what's happening.
__________________
Most 4-wheeler problems are caused by a loose nut connecting the handlebars and the seat!!

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Helmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
boice1971's Avatar
 
Member #13832
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Casar, NC
View boice1971's Photo Gallery(0)
Posts: 2
1970, did you find the problem? My 06 Rancher 350 started doing EXACTLY the same thing today and the electric shift does not work either.
boice1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
tntsportcycle's Avatar
 
Member #25285
Join Date: Oct 2012
View tntsportcycle's Photo Gallery(0)
Posts: 1
i have an 06 rancher doing the same thing...... headlight wont turn on unless the front left or right brake is pulled in..... anyone figure out what causes this
tntsportcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
boice1971's Avatar
 
Member #13832
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Casar, NC
View boice1971's Photo Gallery(0)
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tntsportcycle View Post
i have an 06 rancher doing the same thing...... headlight wont turn on unless the front left or right brake is pulled in..... anyone figure out what causes this
I've never figured mine out, I crank it up every now an then to keep the engine going, but it's not been ridden in about 6 months now
boice1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance


Search tags for this page

06 honda rancher 350es lights and electric start

,
06 rancher 350 wont power up
,
06 rancher es wont start and no lights
,
06 rancher no headlights
,
06 rancher starter switch bad
,
2006 honda rancher headlights come on when apling brakes
,
honda atv electric start screen and head lights not working
,
honda rancher es no headlights or electric start unless brakes applied
,
honda rancher es push button doesnt work es doesnt work
,

honda rancher headlights wont come on

,
honda rancher headlights wont work
,

honda rancher lights not working ag

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


» Discount Tire
Motosport.com


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.1
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.