Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2012, 09:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member #16505
View 1970muscle's Photo Gallery(0)
06 Rancher headlights and starter wont work without back brake and LF brake lever

I'm new- I dont know what to do! (feel like Joe Dirt working in the oil field!)

06 Rancher headlights and starter wont work without back brake and LF brake lever.

Battery and starter solinoid were recently replaced to try and fix problem. I unplugged the rear brake switch and now I can not get the head lights or starter button to work. If i plug it back in and push it and the RF lever the headlights come on (if switched on) and engine will start with button.

Any ideas?
1970muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 02-27-2012, 09:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
View shadetree's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970muscle View Post
I'm new- I dont know what to do! (feel like Joe Dirt working in the oil field!)

06 Rancher headlights and starter wont work without back brake and LF brake lever.

Battery and starter solinoid were recently replaced to try and fix problem. I unplugged the rear brake switch and now I can not get the head lights or starter button to work. If i plug it back in and push it and the RF lever the headlights come on (if switched on) and engine will start with button.

Any ideas?
wow..i've never heard or seen anything like this ???????...now..i did find out yesterday..that a '05 trx400at rancher would not start at all unless the kill switch was set to the '' run '' position !..other than that ?..all was normal to me !. i wish i could tell you what is wrong ??..but i'm as lost as you are !..lol. is it a safety feature built into the bike for that year ???..i have no clue on this one ?.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member #16505
Thanks.

I could live with the starter that way. The main problem is
That you would have to push and pull 2 brake leavers to have headlights!
Old 02-29-2012, 06:11 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member #16505
Please... Any ideas? I have seen a similar post but
The solution was never posted. Thanks
Old 02-29-2012, 10:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
View shadetree's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970muscle View Post
Please... Any ideas? I have seen a similar post but
The solution was never posted. Thanks
try tracing the light switch wires down...and seeing if you have a worn spot making a short ?..you should not have to work the brake levers just to get the headlights to work !!!..i'm following you now..nooo..this is not a safety feature..this is a elec issue problem.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:40 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #16201
View kentco's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 318 times
1970: It sounds like your brake switch, or line is making a ground which is allowing those devices to operate. If that is so, follow the brake cable all the way and see if there are any worn wires along the way. If that isn't it, then it could be that when you pull on the brake cable you are also pulling a wire together somewhere which completes a circuit so that those devices will operate. Again, look along the entire brake cable to see if you have any worn or broken wires. And last, it is very possible that you have a bad ground/chassis connection somewhere. If you have a short circuit (where a positive wire is shorted to the chassis), then you'd be blowing fuses, and you're not doing that. Therefore, it is most likely that you have a bad ground somewhere, and that ground is common to all the devices you listed. Additionally, when you apply the brake, that bad 'ground' is turned into a good 'ground'. Look for loose parts and connections, and bad chassis grounds. And, of course, look for a broken or worn wire along the length of your brake cable. Good luck. This will take some detective work, but I think this information will help you.

USFS Motorized Trail Maintenance Volunteer
Underwater Videographer
*2011 Rancher 420AT
*2012 Rincon 680

HONDA SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOADS: http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums...all-years.html
**When you go to the above link, scroll down and select the Honda ATV model that you are interested in. Then, the password to download the service manual is: hondaatvforums
kentco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
View Helmut's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 10 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentco View Post
1970: It sounds like your brake switch, or line is making a ground which is allowing those devices to operate. If that is so, follow the brake cable all the way and see if there are any worn wires along the way. If that isn't it, then it could be that when you pull on the brake cable you are also pulling a wire together somewhere which completes a circuit so that those devices will operate. Again, look along the entire brake cable to see if you have any worn or broken wires. And last, it is very possible that you have a bad ground/chassis connection somewhere. If you have a short circuit (where a positive wire is shorted to the chassis), then you'd be blowing fuses, and you're not doing that. Therefore, it is most likely that you have a bad ground somewhere, and that ground is common to all the devices you listed. Additionally, when you apply the brake, that bad 'ground' is turned into a good 'ground'. Look for loose parts and connections, and bad chassis grounds. And, of course, look for a broken or worn wire along the length of your brake cable. Good luck. This will take some detective work, but I think this information will help you.
X2, this ↑↑↑↑↑ has to be what's happening.

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Helmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:37 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member #13832
View boice1971's Photo Gallery(0)
1970, did you find the problem? My 06 Rancher 350 started doing EXACTLY the same thing today and the electric shift does not work either.
boice1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:18 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member #25285
View tntsportcycle's Photo Gallery(0)
i have an 06 rancher doing the same thing...... headlight wont turn on unless the front left or right brake is pulled in..... anyone figure out what causes this
tntsportcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:06 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member #13832
View boice1971's Photo Gallery(0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tntsportcycle View Post
i have an 06 rancher doing the same thing...... headlight wont turn on unless the front left or right brake is pulled in..... anyone figure out what causes this
I've never figured mine out, I crank it up every now an then to keep the engine going, but it's not been ridden in about 6 months now
boice1971 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Search tags for this page

06 honda rancher 350es lights and electric start

06 rancher 350 wont power up
06 rancher es wont start and no lights
06 rancher no headlights
06 rancher starter switch bad
2006 honda rancher headlights come on when apling brakes
honda atv electric start screen and head lights not working
honda rancher es no headlights or electric start unless brakes applied
honda rancher es push button doesnt work es doesnt work

honda rancher headlights wont come on

honda rancher headlights wont work

honda rancher lights not working ag

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.