Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2012, 09:11 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member #8579
View Chicagoland Bass's Photo Gallery(0)
09 Rancher rear axle removal????

Guys,
Im trying to remove the right rear axle of my 09 Rancher 420 with independent suspension because I have a torn inner CV boot. Ive read my service manual and it says to pry a little with a screw driver and pull hard. I have removed these before on other quads and know you have to YANK on them really hard. I tried everything in my bag of tricks to get this thing off and it will just not pop out. Does anyone have any idea how I can get the axle out of the diff so I can change the boot?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 01-05-2012, 09:16 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member #14117
View rich450es's Photo Gallery(0)
thay can be a PITA to get out and you may have to have a 2nd person to give you a hand ...1 to yank and 1 to pry
2500 lb warn winch sold
29.5x10x12 swamplites on ITP C-5 wheelssold
ssatv 2in lift
superatv disk brake conversion kit sold
progresive 512 shocks
the original custom 4inch PVC storage on front rack
if you need 450 parts PM me
http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums...-part-out.html
rich450es is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:24 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member #8579
Tried that with a 4' pry bar and just chewed up the diff a little bit. Man it just will not come off. Im thinking about anchoring the quad and using a come along. LOL
Old 01-05-2012, 04:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
View Helmut's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 10 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland Bass View Post
Im thinking about anchoring the quad and using a come along. LOL
If you do that, be careful where you hook to the axle. If you don't hook to the inner CV joint cup somehow, you will probably pull the axle apart. The axle is held to the inner CV joint with a snapring, so it will likely pull apart.

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Helmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member #8579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut View Post
Quote:
Im thinking about anchoring the quad and using a come along. LOL
If you do that, be careful where you hook to the axle. If you don't hook to the inner CV joint cup somehow, you will probably pull the axle apart. The axle is held to the inner CV joint with a snapring, so it will likely pull apart.
Ya I was worried about that even when I was yanking hard on it. I even drilled a 1" hole in a piece of wood and put the end of the axle thru it and re-installed the axle nut to hold the wood on the end of the axle so that I would have something better to hang onto.

Helmut, is it possible to cut the inner boot off (since its torn anyway) and then remove the snap ring to release the axle and then replace the boot without taking the inner CV off? There has to be a better way to get this thing off.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
View Helmut's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 10 times
Quote:
Helmut, is it possible to cut the inner boot off (since its torn anyway) and then remove the snap ring to release the axle and then replace the boot without taking the inner CV off? There has to be a better way to get this thing off.
I've never tried it, but you might be able to do it that way. You would have to remove the stopper ring that holds the CV joint in the inner cup. Once you get the inner joint out of the cup, then you could remove the snapring so you can pull the CV joint off the axle shaft. Then, slide your boot on the axle shaft and put the CV joint back on and the snapring back on. Put the CV joint back in the cup and put the stopper ring back in and slide your boot back down and put the clamps on. You should be able to do it this way, but it will probably be harder to get to the stopper ring to get it out.

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Helmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member #14174
View vermhot's Photo Gallery(0)
Send a message via Yahoo to vermhot
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich450es View Post
thay can be a PITA to get out and you may have to have a 2nd person to give you a hand ...1 to yank and 1 to pry
x2 on the two people thing !! Thats how I did it !! was a pain but it worked !!
heated hand grips and thumb warmer
carb mod ,Kolpin hitch,GPS bracket
rattle can camo stock rims with 28" Zillas

11 Green Rubicon
Gscape,power steer
Warn 2500,Cycle Country 54" blade
crappy stock tiers
Kolpin hitch
http://youtu.be/i9MhWDPUDHo
vermhot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
View shadetree's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 120 times
i would not try to take it apart from the cv-joint...you will not like the results !..lol. your best bet..two ppl..one pulling..and the other prying..this is the easy way..( at least for me )...yep..i highly say..do not go taking the cv-joint apart..your gonna wish you didn't if you do !..lol.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:01 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member #8579
I have tried the two person pry and pull method and it absolutely will not come off. As I stated in an earlier post I used a 4 foot long pry bar and had a buddy yank on the axle. It wont budge. Im going to try to attach a slide hammer (dent puller) to the axle somehow and give that a try. If that doesnt work I may have to pull the rear end and get it on the bench.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:23 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
View shadetree's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 120 times
Quote:
I have tried the two person pry and pull method and it absolutely will not come off. As I stated in an earlier post I used a 4 foot long pry bar and had a buddy yank on the axle. It wont budge. Im going to try to attach a slide hammer (dent puller) to the axle somehow and give that a try. If that doesnt work I may have to pull the rear end and get it on the bench.
okkkkkk..lets try something else..and yes..i know you say you tried it with 2 ppl !..butttttttttttt..unless your applying pressure on both sides of the cv-joint at the differental ???????..your ..well..pizzing in the wind !..lol. for one..all of this has to be perfectly a straight pull and pry..if your not doing it just right..the axle will not come out very easy. with 2 ppl...both of you prying at two equale sides to where the cv-joint meets the differental..and one of you pulling or yanking...the axle will pop out !!..the main thing is keeping it straight as your doing this !!!..IT HAS TO BE STRAIGHT !. while your prying from both sides of the cv-joint at the differental..yank or be pulling..yanking works better..if you do it this way ?..that axle will come out !.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Search tags for this page

2009 rancher rear axle removal

honda rancher axle replacement

honda rancher rear axle removal

honda rear alxel 4x4 rancher es 2009

how to change a rear axle on 2009 honda rancher

how to change rear axle 420 honda rancher

how to put axle in honda rancher

how to remove rear axle from honda 420

how to remove the rear axle on a honda 420 independent suspension

how to remove the rear axles on a honda 420 rancher irs

removing rear axle sgaft honda rancher 420

replace a back axel in a houda 420
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.