Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2011, 06:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member #14405
View oldanddirty's Photo Gallery(0)
Recon pilot valve question

Hey Guys, having trouble getting pilot screw adjustment right. Anyone have a magic formula? I have just rebuilt carb and having trouble getting idle smooth. '99 recon by the way.
oldanddirty is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 12-24-2011, 11:15 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member #14891
View Bowtierebel's Photo Gallery(0)
Hey oldanddirty. I'm new here too. I have 2 Recons. A '98 and an '03, both manual shift. I have removed and cleaned the carbs on these way more than I'd like to admit due to them sitting too long and the fuel going bad along with varnishing inside the carb. Trust me, I'd like to have been riding them more. Anyway, What problem are you having? What makes you think it's a problem with the pilot screw adjustment? What is is doing or not doing? There is not a "secret formula" to adjusting this setpoint. There are always variables involved such as altitude, ambient temperature, fresh gas, clean/oiled air filter, ect. If you don't have a service manual, I recommend getting one. There is a thread here with a link to getting a manual for free in PDF form. The settings in the manual are starting points, then fine tune from there. I have found that although the clip on the needle jet should normally be put on the middle groove, (there are 3 grooves on the '03 and 5 on the '98), that I had to move it up 1 groove on the '03. This is the top groove on the '03. This will lean out the fuel. I had to do this in my case simply because although the carb was clean and set up to the factory beginning setpoints apparently over time the needles microscopically wear down thus allowing more fuel to flow past the needle causing it to flood somewhat and stumble on acceleration. The same thing on my '98 Recon. Remember that everything in the carb works together and any change at one point may cause another setpoint to need to be adjusted so that the transition from one circuit to the next works smoothly. Some things to make sure of: Make sure the carb is clean, fresh fuel, idle is set high enough to allow for it not to die during adjustments, engine is warmed to operating temp (may have to work the throttle until it gets good and warm), good clean and oiled air filter, good gasket where carb mount to the head. Once it is warm and idling high enough on it's own begin adjusting the pilot screw per the manual. After each adjustment of the pilot screw set the idle back to the recommended RPM's ( I think it's about 1500). Check for good acceleration using the throttle (while sitting still). Repeat this until you have good idle along with smooth transmission to the other circuits, meaning no stumble or backfire. Raising the clip holding the needle jet will lower the needle thus leaning the mixture. Lowering the clip will richen the mixture. More fuel is not alway good, but going too lean may hurt the engine because the fuel helps keep the engine cool. I just threw this out there, but not knowing exactly what your problem is leaves a lot of unknowns for the rest of us. Hope this helps.
Old 12-24-2011, 11:27 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member #14891
View Bowtierebel's Photo Gallery(0)
Sorry, I got wrapped up in responding and forgot that you said that the idle wasn't smooth. How is it not smooth? After you set the idle does it surge and then lower itself making it hard to adjust it to a constant idle? That is the problem that I had. That is why I changed the needle jet clip groove. It worked on the '03, but the '98 still does this some. I need to replace the air filter though. It is pretty bad and was allowing small particles to go up into the carb. Also the throttle slide is worn where the idle screw contacts it. I plan to replace these parts, remove and reclean the carb now. Also if you used a cheap rebuild kit I have found that most of these are inferior and I will only use good name brand kits or Honda parts from now on. Let me know if any of this helps.
Old 12-24-2011, 02:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member #14099
View slincolnn's Photo Gallery(0)
I would like to add that the pilot circuit uses a very small jet size that is more difficult to clean and is more likely to get clogged.It is very important to make sure it's clean and after cleaning the carb to install a inline filter to keep new trash from getting into the carb and reclogging the newly cleaned jets.
03 recon
slincolnn is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Search tags for this page
98 honda recon carburetor adjustment
98 honda recon idle adjustment
99 honda recon250 pilot screw adjustment
honda recon 250 pilot screw and jet
honda recon idle jet

honda recon pilot screw adjustment

honda recon replacement pilot jet

honda recon slow jet

how to adjust the idle on a honda recon
what is factory jet size for 99 250 recon
what is the factory idle setting on honda recon
where is carb adjustment screw on honda recon
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.