Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2011, 07:15 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member #13784
View tyler0421's Photo Gallery(0)
04 rincon wont run right???

My rincon sat alot over this summer (it got cranked up and riden a little here and there) and i recently got on it and rode it for a bit and it died. I tried to start it up and it wouldnt start just turn over and back fire and stuff. Then i would keep trying. It would start back up then if i pressed the gas it would die again. Kept doing this and then finally started running right again. Well got on it again yesterday and same thing happened. it would happen with about every 5 or ten minutes of riding. Anyone have a clue what this might be?

I took it out this weekend to try again. It ran fine for 5 minutes of putting around and then it shut off again. I could get it started back up and rev it to the max but as soon as I put it in gear and press the gas and it would die..??? Is this the carb or the spark plug or both? To clean the carb would i just detach every Hose and everything from it and then spray it out with carb cleaner? or is it not that simple?
tyler0421 is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 10-26-2011, 07:21 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member #8548
View dirtguy25's Photo Gallery(0)
If it sat for a long time the gas has probably gummed up in your carb. Your carb will need cleaning, and the old gas drained out of the tank, and new put in.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:23 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member #8548
View dirtguy25's Photo Gallery(0)
And welcome to the forums from georgia. There are a lot of atv smart guys on here! Your in the right place for any qusetion about your atv!
Old 10-26-2011, 07:38 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member #13784
Hey there dirt guy. I posted this on the rincon riders forum as well so I kinda just copied and pasted a few of my posts over there. I did put new gas in in before this started... I guess it could have been to late at that point.. I was reading the sea-foam thread a minute ago.. Do you think a strong dose of sea-foam would get it running with out having to clean the carb?
Old 10-26-2011, 08:01 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member #11269
View Dan G's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 5 times
Maybe, but if it were me I'd pull it and clean it. That way your all set to go and not second guessing the problem. Its easy enough to do, if you search around a little theres a few threads on how to clean carbs. Also be sure to download your manual and follow it step by step...
Old 10-26-2011, 08:04 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member #12980
View Zep71's Photo Gallery(0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler0421 View Post
Hey there dirt guy. I posted this on the rincon riders forum as well so I kinda just copied and pasted a few of my posts over there. I did put new gas in in before this started... I guess it could have been to late at that point.. I was reading the sea-foam thread a minute ago.. Do you think a strong dose of sea-foam would get it running with out having to clean the carb?
i used sea-foam on my 250 FourTrax but it was after i cleaned the carb.and i still had trouble with gunk from the gas tank. but after i installed a inline fuel filter its been working like it should.
Zep71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:41 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member #13784
So even though I can rev it up to the max while in nuetral but when I put it in gear and press the gas and it stalls points to the carb??? Just want to make sure before I go that "deep".
Old 10-26-2011, 11:20 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member #13784
I just emptied my gas tank by taking off the line going into the carb. The fuel flowed steady like there wasnt a clogging issue. a whole tank of gas drained through and never stopped once ar anything. I don't think it is a clogged petcock or line there. I just replaced the spark plug and havent tried to start it yet. Im going to get a little gas and put back in the tank and put some sea foam in it a see what happens.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:43 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
View shadetree's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 129 times
Quote:
I just emptied my gas tank by taking off the line going into the carb. The fuel flowed steady like there wasnt a clogging issue. a whole tank of gas drained through and never stopped once ar anything. I don't think it is a clogged petcock or line there. I just replaced the spark plug and havent tried to start it yet. Im going to get a little gas and put back in the tank and put some sea foam in it a see what happens.
your problem is inside your carb..the dirty damage is already done inside the carb..if you want your bike to run right..pull the carb..and give it a good cleaning...read my post in the repair section..'' how to clean a carb''.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:01 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member #13784
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetree View Post
Quote:
your problem is inside your carb..the dirty damage is already done inside the carb..if you want your bike to run right..pull the carb..and give it a good cleaning...read my post in the repair section..'' how to clean a carb''.
You think its in the carb even though I can still rev it up to the max while in nuetral, but when put in gear i dies out?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Search tags for this page

04 rincon lost power

2003 honda rincon loses power at 40 mph

2004 honda 650 rincon carb

2004 honda rincon 650 carb diagram

2004 honda rincon carburetor problems

650 rincon wont take gas

carberator disassembly for honda 2004 trx 650 rincon

honda rincon wont rev all the way up

honda rincon wont stay running

how to clean rincon 650 carb

how to drain honda rincon 650 carburetor

trouble with honda rincon staying running
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.