Honda ATV Forum banner

Honda trx300 oil filter replacement

11K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  shadetree 
#1 ·
I took oil filter cover off and when it popped off, cover went one way the oil filter went another and the spring went another. I looked through service manual and can't tell how the oil filter goes back in. One side of the filter has a rubber grommet in it, the other side has a small hole with inner lid spring loaded.

The drawing in the service manual shows 2 O rings, 1 large one for the cover and a little one.
The replacement filter only came with the large one.
If the old little one was there I can't find it. I was in the middle of garage, I just don't think it had a little o ring on it. I searched all over for the little one.

I have to think according to service manual that the rubber grommet side of the filter goes against the cover, with the grommet fitting around the little pipe thing on the cover. The spring goes against the 'crankcase' and the filter side with spring loaded 'lid valve' goes against it. I think the spring loaded 'lid/valve' is in case the filter gets stopped up so as to allow the oil to have an emergency bypass. Dagone this is hard to explain. I hope any answers will be better explained than what I put.

#4 ·
Yeah, the rubber grommet faces outside toward the cover and the spring goes behind the filter against the crankcase.

#5 ·
Look at the illustration below. I put a red arrow where the small o-ring is supposed to go. By the way, you probably don't need to change the small o-ring, but just make sure it's not missing or damaged. I never replace the small o-ring or the large o-ring unless they're damaged.

#6 ·
Welcome to the Forums!!! It goes the way Helmut said.

#7 ·
Welcome to the forums.

#9 ·
yep..helmut has ya covered..the seal you see on the filter faces out towards the cover....if you look at the cover..you will see what i call the cover nipple in the middle of the cover ???..this goes into the seal in the center of the oil filter..the the spring goes behind the filter..and i'm with helmut on that tiny o-ring..i hardley ever replace that o-ring. while you got the cover off..check out that big o-ring that goes around the cover's ring...if it's bad..replace that o-ring !!..or it will leak oil !.

#11 ·
no...that tiny o-ring does not come with a new filter..you can pick one up from just about any place..lowes..homedepot..a hardware store..harbor freight sells a o-ring kit.

#12 ·
I buy the OEM filters from the dealer and they never come with the small o-ring.

The small o-ring usually stays stuck to the case where the red arrow points to in the illustration above, but look on the oil filter cover to make sure it didn't stick to the cover. If it's not either place, then go to the dealer and get one.

#14 ·
OK, I found the size. It's 11x1.9mm, in case you want to get it somewhere besides the dealer.

#15 ·
yeah..sorry..i wasn't even thinking about it being gone..and him needing the size..damn sometimers !!!!..lol. i've got alot on my mind right now with this project..and trying to juggle alot at one time doesn't help on here !..lmfao.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.