Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2011, 06:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member #13316
View Frank57's Photo Gallery(0)
Question 1986 trx200sx

Hi everyone, hoping to get some help on the forum in regards to the front hubs on my trx200sx I picked up for rebuilding. It was a put together and my son and I have been finding all sorts of issues with it. The front hubs are trashed, inner bearing destroyed on one side, and worn out on the other. Really hard to find replacements, but was wondering if its possible that other hubs might fit this. I have been finding lots of the 4 arm spider type hubs out there, most for the rear axle as they are splined for the axle, but have come across others that have bearings and came acorss alot of these. So, the question is, has anyone used a different style front hub on the 86 trx200sx or is it possible? This has no plastics, tires are in good shape, when we got it, the kid said it hadn't been worked on for some time, I guess so, the gas smelled really bad in it and around it. The fuel shut off and clogged 100% and unable to clear it and have a new one coming for it. The throttle cable was the wrong one he tried to install, have the right one coming now. With some starter fluid, and did get the engine to fire up, sounded ok. Basically just needs front hubs now and hopefully get this thing running.. any help at all would be greatly appreciated.. thanks
Frank57 is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 10-10-2011, 09:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
View shadetree's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 90 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank57 View Post
Hi everyone, hoping to get some help on the forum in regards to the front hubs on my trx200sx I picked up for rebuilding. It was a put together and my son and I have been finding all sorts of issues with it. The front hubs are trashed, inner bearing destroyed on one side, and worn out on the other. Really hard to find replacements, but was wondering if its possible that other hubs might fit this. I have been finding lots of the 4 arm spider type hubs out there, most for the rear axle as they are splined for the axle, but have come across others that have bearings and came acorss alot of these. So, the question is, has anyone used a different style front hub on the 86 trx200sx or is it possible? This has no plastics, tires are in good shape, when we got it, the kid said it hadn't been worked on for some time, I guess so, the gas smelled really bad in it and around it. The fuel shut off and clogged 100% and unable to clear it and have a new one coming for it. The throttle cable was the wrong one he tried to install, have the right one coming now. With some starter fluid, and did get the engine to fire up, sounded ok. Basically just needs front hubs now and hopefully get this thing running.. any help at all would be greatly appreciated.. thanks
welcome to the forums..this a utility model ?..if so..sorry..old age !..lol..the front hubs from a trx250 may work..i normally stick to stock..this way i don't worry about what will fit what !..lol. i also think the trx200D type two is the same hub ?.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
View Helmut's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 9 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetree View Post
Quote:
welcome to the forums..this a utility model ?..if so..sorry..old age !..lol..the front hubs from a trx250 may work..i normally stick to stock..this way i don't worry about what will fit what !..lol. i also think the trx200D type two is the same hub ?.
It's possible that the 200D hub might work, but I can't say for sure. I think the 200SX uses the same engine as the 200D, so maybe the hubs are the same, too.

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Helmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
And welcome to the forums.

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
View shadetree's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 90 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut View Post
Quote:
Quote:
It's possible that the 200D hub might work, but I can't say for sure. I think the 200SX uses the same engine as the 200D, so maybe the hubs are the same, too.
yeah..i was thinking the engines were the same..but i'm not certain about the hubs ???..soo..please don'e sue me if i'm wrong !..lol.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut View Post
Quote:
yeah..i was thinking the engines were the same..but i'm not certain about the hubs ???..soo..please don'e sue me if i'm wrong !..lol.
Yeah, I'm not sure about he hubs either, but since the engine is the same, the hubs could be the same. They might not, but it might be worth checking in to.

Old 10-11-2011, 02:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member #13316
Hi guys and thanks, and I won't sue anyone for guesses...lol. But ya, the spindle in mine has the 2 different steps where the bearings fit onto, and I have seen some spindles out there that are straight shaft right up to the end near the nut is. I just haven't seen too many of the style I need without paying out the #$# for them, but lots of others and just hoping there are some that will still fit these spindles. I know rear ones won't because of the spline and no bearings, but seen a few of them 4 arm (+) type hubs and showing the bearing positions look just like mine, just trying to confirm before money spent..Thank you guys, its my last big expense on this thing and holding off til I am sure..
Old 10-11-2011, 05:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member #13316
Update: For those who were wondering, I don't think its a utility atv, has more like a racing type frame and suspension, shocks in the front and rear and a high frame to ground clearance. The axle/spindle is tapered into 2 sizes, meaning the inner bearing is bigger and the outer bearing is smaller than the inner. I was checking out some 250 hubs, and sometime hard to tell, but then started looking at the 250 spindles and they are straight axle to the end, no sections, just one size til the end where the nut mounts...
Old 10-11-2011, 05:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
Quote:
Update: For those who were wondering, I don't think its a utility atv, has more like a racing type frame and suspension, shocks in the front and rear and a high frame to ground clearance. The axle/spindle is tapered into 2 sizes, meaning the inner bearing is bigger and the outer bearing is smaller than the inner. I was checking out some 250 hubs, and sometime hard to tell, but then started looking at the 250 spindles and they are straight axle to the end, no sections, just one size til the end where the nut mounts...
Yeah, I think those were classified as a sport quad when they first came out.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
I just looked at the 1987 Honda sales brochure and it says "for work or play", so maybe it's a sport utility. I know you could get optional racks, but it always seemed more like a sport quad to me.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Search tags for this page
1986 honda trx200sx

1986 honda trx200sx specs

1986 trx200sx

1987 honda 200sx specs

1987 honda trx200sx specs
fuel shutoff 1987 honda trx200 sx
has anyone put different fenders on trx 200 sx
honda 200sx tire size
honda trx200sx

honda trx200sx specs

trx200sx

trx200sx rack

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.