Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2011, 03:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member #13419
View 84FourTrax's Photo Gallery(0)
Question about 1984 TRX 200 clutch removal

Hi Guys,
I've got a '84 TRX 200 and I'm trying to get the centrifugal clutch off. I've got the manual out and it says to turn the lock nut clockwise to remove it. When I put the copper penny in between the gears there is only one problem...the penny does not lock the gears from turning when I rotate the ratchet clockwise (right to left) while looking at the clutch. The crank still turns. What am I doing wrong? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-Chris.
84FourTrax is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 10-09-2011, 04:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
View Helmut's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 10 times
A penny between the gears won't work because that will only hold the outer clutch drum. You might be able to hold the clutch with a gloved hand and use an air impact wrench to spin the nut off. This is usually how I remove clutches.

A better way would be to remove the recoil stater from the left side of the engine and you will see a pulley bolted to the end of the crankshaft. This pulley will have notches in it that the recoil starter engages. Stick a large screwdriver or pry bar through two of these notches and then hold the end of the screwdriver or pry bar to keep the crankshaft from turning while you loosen the clutch nut. You will probably need someone to hold it while you remove the nut. Or you might be able to stick the screwdriver through the two notches and let the end of it catch on the frame or foot peg to keep it from turning. Once again, an air impact wrench will make this easier, but is not necessary if you hold the crankshaft like this.

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.

Last edited by Helmut; 10-09-2011 at 04:12 PM.
Helmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 04:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member #13419
Thanks Helmut!!
It really puzzles me why the repair manual shows the copper washer/penny method to removing it when it obviously doesn't work. I've been scratching my head and spouting some colorful words for about an hour now..LOL! I'll try the impact and glove trick first before going to the other side to remove the recoil starter...either way the darn thing is coming off Thanks for the tip...I greatly appreciate it!

-Chris.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84FourTrax View Post
Thanks Helmut!!
It really puzzles me why the repair manual shows the copper washer/penny method to removing it when it obviously doesn't work. I've been scratching my head and spouting some colorful words for about an hour now..LOL! I'll try the impact and glove trick first before going to the other side to remove the recoil starter...either way the darn thing is coming off Thanks for the tip...I greatly appreciate it!

-Chris.
When the manual said to use a penny to hold the clutch, they must have been relying on the one-way bearing inside the centrifugal clutch to lock it and hold it, but if your one-way bearing is bad, that won't work and your one way bearing might be bad.

When holding the clutch with gloved hands, you will have to grip the outer clutch drum, as well as the inner clutch and you will have to grip them tightly together and hold both parts of the clutch to keep it from turning. It may take both hands to hold it, so you may have to have someone else remove the nut with the impact wrench. If you can't hold it this way, then take the recoil starter off the other side of the engine and hold the notched pulley with a large screwdriver or pry bar. I know you can definitely hold it this way.

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
The '85-up models use a different type of centrifugal clutch and on those, you can use a clutch holding tool to hold the centrifugal clutch. I don't think the clutch holding tool will work on yours, though, because of the way it's made.

Old 10-09-2011, 06:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
View shadetree's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 91 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84FourTrax View Post
Hi Guys,
I've got a '84 TRX 200 and I'm trying to get the centrifugal clutch off. I've got the manual out and it says to turn the lock nut clockwise to remove it. When I put the copper penny in between the gears there is only one problem...the penny does not lock the gears from turning when I rotate the ratchet clockwise (right to left) while looking at the clutch. The crank still turns. What am I doing wrong? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-Chris.
air impact..it's the only way to go !..lol.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:18 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member #13419
Thanks again guys,
I grabbed the old Matco 1/2 impact and a glove, and the lock nut spun right off. I really can't believe I didn't think to do that in the first place I'm still very new at messing with these things and I really didn't want to mess anything up. I guess it's like we always used to say in the body shop " If it don't come off...get a bigger hammer!!" Now on to the manual clutch...it should go easier from here, you guys ROCK!! Thanks

-Chris.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
You're welcome, glad you got it!!!

Old 10-10-2011, 03:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
View shadetree's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 91 times
don't ya just love air impact's ??..lol.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:27 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member #13419
next to twist-off beer tops, impacts are the best invention ever

-Chris

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Search tags for this page

1984 honda 200 trx clutch replacement

1984 honda trx 125 clutch

1984 honda trx 200 clutch

1984 honda trx200 clutch adjustment

1984 honda trx200 clutch change

atc 200s clutch removal

honda trx 200 clutch

honda trx 200 clutch repair

honda trx 200 how to change clutch

how to 1984 honda trx200 clutch

how to remove cylinder on a 1984 honda trx 200

remove the starter honda trx 200

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.