Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2011, 09:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member #12980
View Zep71's Photo Gallery(0)
oil Temp?

first off i would just like to say Helmut and shadetree you guys do one heck of a job getting us noobies Strait on how things work Thank you guys.ok now about the oil temp its seems like on this 250 it gets awful hot in a short time of running.i am still waiting for the new oil filter to show up from Rocky Mountain.can a dirty filter cause the oil to heat up more then it should?
ok next i have had the carb off a number of times cleaned it put new jets in it so
it should be like new. it runs great one day.and the next day it idles bad.any idea why it would be good one day then bad the next?
Zep71 is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 10-07-2011, 10:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
View shadetree's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zep71 View Post
first off i would just like to say Helmut and shadetree you guys do one heck of a job getting us noobies Strait on how things work Thank you guys.ok now about the oil temp its seems like on this 250 it gets awful hot in a short time of running.i am still waiting for the new oil filter to show up from Rocky Mountain.can a dirty filter cause the oil to heat up more then it should?
ok next i have had the carb off a number of times cleaned it put new jets in it so
it should be like new. it runs great one day.and the next day it idles bad.any idea why it would be good one day then bad the next?
thank you bro !. clogged filter can make the oil light come on alot..and not having the right oil in it too..can cause this..and last but not least..the oil temp sending sensor..bottom right of motor..if it's going out..this will cause this..unplug the sensor..turn the key on..now touch the lead wire to the motor/frame..did the light come on ???..if so..then your oil temp sensor is about dead..or is dead !. as for a bad idle..check to make sure your float isn't sticking ??..the float's in the trx250's are adjustable..they have a metal tang on the float if i remember right ???..last but not least..make damn sure your carb is very clean inside the passages..a high idle is caused by a few thigns..lake of fuel ??..an air leak..intake boot to carb could have a crack in it ???..the pilot jet ( fuel mixture screw ) may not be set right ? is your choke piston sticking ??..did you adjust it right ?..it has a silver clip on the handle bar..about 2 or 3 settings..try putting that clip in the last notch on the cable towards the head light !..lol. try and check these thigns. let us know what you come up with.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
also..make sure you are getting oil to your rocker box !!. and don't put the oil filter in backwards !!!!..lmfao..
Old 10-07-2011, 11:02 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member #12980
lol Shade i dont have the fancy one with an oil light.where the Carb connects to the motor is in good shape the choke seems to be working good after all the cleaning. so now from what you said it must be the float.as far as the oil temp it just seems like the crank case gets to hot.i found a tear in the air filter so im waiting for the new one before i run it.i live on a Dirt road in south Georgia so air cleaner is a must
Old 10-07-2011, 02:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
View Helmut's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 11 times
How are you riding.......fast or slow? Be aware that if you ride around slow in first or second gear a lot or even let it sit and idle for a while, the engine will heat up. You will be able to feel the heat from the engine on your legs. Or do you think it's getting a lot hotter than that?

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Helmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 03:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member #12980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut View Post
How are you riding.......fast or slow? Be aware that if you ride around slow in first or second gear a lot or even let it sit and idle for a while, the engine will heat up. You will be able to feel the heat from the engine on your legs. Or do you think it's getting a lot hotter than that?
I ride this thing like i stole it Helmut. i live on a dirt road lots of room to open it up.i ride it more like you would a sport model lol. it gets plenty hot.but the carb issue is bugging me.how it can run so good one day then the next it wont idle.could be the float dont know how to adjust it.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member #12980
was just looking at the manual really dont see anything about how to adjust the float
Old 10-07-2011, 03:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
View Helmut's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 11 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut View Post
I ride this thing like i stole it Helmut. i live on a dirt road lots of room to open it up.i ride it more like you would a sport model lol. it gets plenty hot.but the carb issue is bugging me.how it can run so good one day then the next it wont idle.could be the float dont know how to adjust it.
OK, I was just making sure. I don't think the float is the problem, though. I don't think that model has an adjustable float, does it? If it has an adjustable float, the little tab that pushes against the float needle will be made of brass. If it's made of plastic, it's not adjustable.

If it idles one day and not the next, either you still have something in your pilot circuit or your float is sticking open and the ATV is flooding or your choke plunger (starter enrichment valve) isn't working properly. Could be other things causing it, I guess, but those are the most likely things.

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Helmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 03:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member #12980
well I got my Answer.when I took off the oil Filter cover the oil filter was in 2 pieces. installed the new one and new air filter and it seems to run much cooler
going to take it out for a long run today see how it goes.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
Quote:
well I got my Answer.when I took off the oil Filter cover the oil filter was in 2 pieces. installed the new one and new air filter and it seems to run much cooler
going to take it out for a long run today see how it goes.
does this mean i was right ???..lmfao...glad you found the problem bro !.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Search tags for this page
can am 250 atv oil temp light problem
honda 350 foreman oil twmp light comes on
honda atv hot oil temperature causes
honda foreman high oil temp

honda foreman ideal oil temp

honda foreman oil cooler going bad

honda foreman oil temp light

honda trx 250 oil light

honda trx 250 remove oil temp box and light

what causes oil temp light to come on and off on honda foreman

what causes oil temp to go up

what causes the oil temp light to come on on a honda 250

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.