Honda ATV Forum banner

ready to ride, turn key on..push button..only hear clicking noise , read this !!

373K views 170 replies 88 participants last post by  msandlin2 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Look's like there are alot of members that come on here lately with a problem about thier atv's not starting ??

turns key on..pushes start button..and they only hear a clicking noise comming from somewhere ??? ( I said somewhere..because they have no idea what or where it is ! )..lol. anyway..your answer!

this is a sign of a couple reasons as to what is going on..first..your battery could be weak ?..or dead ?..depends on how long you let it sit ????. soo..first thing's first..check your battery..make sure it's fully charged ???..now..push the start button....same thing..clicking noise that's driving you crazy..and not starting ??

ok..now..locate your starter's solenoid..it's round..and most of them are near your battery..it has two large cables on it..there is a 10mm nut that attaches the cable to the terminals...make sure the post is clean..and tight ?

now..follow the cable to your battery..do the same here..clean..and tight !. back at the solenoid's other termianl post..is the other large cable..check to see if it's clean and tight ?..if so..follow it to your starter....it's attached with a 10mm nut...about middle ways of your starter. check to see if it's clean and tight ?

now..go back to your battery....find the neg post on the battery....see if it's clean and tight ?..follow this cable to your starter or a motor bolt ?..most of these cables bolt up near the starter...either with the starter bolt that attaches the starter to the motor ?...or near the starter..is a 6mm bolt going through the cable..into the motor. see if it's clean and tight ?..okkk

now..go back to the solenoid..you know...that pesky round thing that makes that clicking sound when you push the starter button !!..with key on ( check to make sure all your fuses are not blown ! )..push the start button..does the atv crank up ?..or do you hear that damn pesky noise again ?..if you hear that clicking noise...take an old screwdriver..and touch the screwdriver to both tops of the solenoid terminals..did the bike crank over ??..or did it do nothing ?..if it cranked over...then replace the solenoid..it's bad !..if it did not crank over when you put the screwdriver on the solenoid's terminals..then take a hammer..and slightly tap the starter as you're pushing the start button....if the starter turns over after this..then your brushes are worn too much..and you can either replace the brushes in it ?..or..buy another starter?

if you have found that it's your starter that is bad...remove the starter from the atv ( make sure you unhook the battery from the atv )..just one cable..neg or pos...does not matter. if you have a service manual ( which..you really should have one ! )..it will show you how to pre-test the starter. before you start removing the bolts/screws from the starter ( pay attention to this next part..VERY IMPORTANT ! )..scribe a couple lines across the ends of the starter..where the ends meet the middle...this is so...when you go to put it back together..you can line the ends up where they are supposed to go!

pull the starter apart, and test the armature..it shows you in the book how to test it..and ohm it out. clean the ends out of all the grim and dirt..and crap..I'm sure it's full of it !!..an air compressor works wonders..if ya don't have one..well..wing it !!..lol. grease the ends of the armature..bearings if it has them ?..most do. put your new brushes in..put it back together. do not tighten the bolts or screws down too tight !!!..try spining the starter by hand..does it spin kinda easy ?..if not..you got something wrong ?..or..your new brushes have not '' seated '' in yet.

now..take a set of jumper cables..hook them up to a good battery..car/truck..or even a battery by itself..just make sure you got the cables on the right post on the battery's end !..now...at the other end..hook the neg on the body of the starter..the best place is the ends of the starter..where the two bolt holes are. now..briefly..touch the pos cable end of the jumper cables to the starter's bolt post..be careful..if the starter is rebuilt right..it will kinda jerk as it turns really fast !..if you did it right..then congrats..you just overhauled your starter..and saved a few bucks !..if you failed..well..it's time to go shopping for a new starter !..lol.

hope this helps out gang !.

See less See more
#2 ·
Sticky, sticky, sticky. Thread stuck!!

#5 ·
same

Look's like there are alot of members that come on here lately with a problem about thier atv's not starting ??..turns key on..pushes start button..and they only hear a clicking noise comming from somewhere ??? ( i said somewhere..because they have no idea what or where it is ! )..lol. anyway..your answer !!..this is a sign of a couple reasons as to what is going on..first..your battery could be weak ?..or dead ?..depends on how long you let it sit ????. soo..first thing's first..check your battery..make sure it's fully charged ???..now..push the start button....same thing..clicking noise that's driving you crazy..and not starting ??..ok..now..locate your starter's solenoid..it's round..and most of them are near your battery..it has two large cables on it..there is a 10mm nut that attaches the cable to the terminals...make sure the post is clean..and tight ?..now..follow the cable to your battery..do the same here..clean..and tight !. back at the solenoid's other termianl post..is the other large cable..check to see if it's clean and tight ?..if so..follow it to your starter....it's attached with a 10mm nut...about middle ways of your starter. check to see if it's clean and tight ?. now..go back to your battery....find the neg post on the battery....see if it's clean and tight ?..follow this cable to your starter or a motor bolt ?..most of these cables bolt up near the starter...either with the starter bolt that attaches the starter to the motor ?...or near the starter..is a 6mm bolt going through the cable..into the motor. see if it's clean and tight ?..okkk..now..go back to the solenoid..you know...that pesky round thing that makes that clicking sound when you push the starter button !!..with key on ( check to make sure all your fuses are not blown ! )..push the start button..does the atv crank up ?..or do you hear that damn pesky noise again ?..if you hear that clicking noise...take an old screw driver..and touch the screw driver to both tops of the solenoid terminals..did the bike crank over ??..or did it do nothing ?..if it cranked over...then replace the solenoid..it's bad !..if it did not crank over when you put the screw driver on the solenoid's terminals..then take a hammer..and slightly tap the starter as your pushing the start button....if the starter turns over after this..then your brushes are worn to much..and you can either replace the brushes in it ?..or..buy another starter ?. if you have found that it's your starter that is bad...remove the starter from the atv ( make sure you unhook the battery from the atv )..just one cable..neg or pos...does not matter. if you have a service manual ( which..you really should have one ! )..it will show you how to pre-test the starter. before you start removing the bolts/screws from the starter ( pay attention to this next part..VERY IMPORTANT ! )..scribe a couple lines across the ends of the starter..where the ends meet the middle...this is so...when you go to put it back together..you can line the ends up where they are suppose to go !..pull the starter apart, test the armaiture..it shows you in the book how to test it..and ohm it out. clean the ends out of all the grim and dirt..and crap..i'm sure it's full of it !!..an air compresser works wonders..if ya don't have one..well..wing it !!..lol. grease the ends of the armature..bearings if it has them ?..most do. put your new brushes in..put it back together. do not tighten the bolts or screws down to tight !!!..try spining the starter by hand..does it spin kinda easy ?..if not..you got something wrong ?..or..your new brushes have not '' seated '' in yet. now..take a set of jumper cables..hook them up to a good battery..car/truck..or even a battery by itself..just make sure you got the cables on the right post on the battery's end !..now...at the other end..hook the neg on the body of the starter..the best place is the ends of the starter..where the two bolt holes are. now..briefly..touch the pos cable end of the jumber cables to the starter's bolt post..becareful..if the starter is rebuilt right..it will kinda jerk as it turns really fast !..if you did it right..then congrats..you just over hauled your starter..and saved a few bucks !..if you failed..well..it's time to go shoping for a new starter !..lol. hope this helps out gang !.
Very nice post! I agree with the fact that we should all have manuals to our quads or bikes. I have mine on my phone and netbook. HOWEVER, sometimes these are a little vague in some areas. The trouble shooting will tell you what to look for by the symptoms that you have, but the descriptions from there are vague. Maybe I'm not that good at understanding it yet. DAMMIT BOY!

Reactions: hondaboy999
#6 ·
Good post Shadetree ... you might want to say what kind of voltage to expect when checking the battery charge, usually 12.0 or so indicates a tired battery,you shoud be looking for what? 12.6 or more? Even then sometimes a load test is needed.

#7 ·
Good post Shadetree ... you might want to say what kind of voltage to expect when checking the battery charge, usually 12.0 or so indicates a tired battery,you shoud be looking for what? 12.6 or more? Even then sometimes a load test is needed.
agreed ^^^^..anywhere from 12.5 to 14 is a good sign your battery is charging...you can test this with a multitester..both leads on the battery..while rev'ing bike..you should see the tester climb to around those readings....i posted that for starting issues..i guess i should have included why the battery could be weak...lol.

G
#8 ·
ive been having this problem ever since ive had my 4 wheeler i got it running now put everytime i wanna ride i gotta get somebody to pull me with a truck and lets just say i take it out in the woods and it dies (HAPPEND TODAY) i have to push back out its very annoying and hard to do.i got a new starter for it new battery i think i need a new solonoid and some fuses because when i try to jump it off with some jumper cables it dont start it tries but wont do it using the old solonoid trick and my solonoid clicks when i press the start button. I read this forum about a week ago i did everything you said beside using a jumper cable and puttin to the starter i dont wanna do that every time i wanna ride i dont think its good for the starter.

#9 ·
ive been having this problem ever since ive had my 4 wheeler i got it running now put everytime i wanna ride i gotta get somebody to pull me with a truck and lets just say i take it out in the woods and it dies (HAPPEND TODAY) i have to push back out its very annoying and hard to do.i got a new starter for it new battery i think i need a new solonoid and some fuses because when i try to jump it off with some jumper cables it dont start it tries but wont do it using the old solonoid trick and my solonoid clicks when i press the start button. I read this forum about a week ago i did everything you said beside using a jumper cable and puttin to the starter i dont wanna do that every time i wanna ride i dont think its good for the starter.
if your stator and reg/rec is bad ???..your not recharging your battery..test the stator...see if it's recharging your battery ?..if it test ok ?..then i would say your solenoid is bad .

#13 ·
Bongripper, I don't think he meant to start your bike each time by putting the jumper cables to the starter! Just check the starter this way to see if its good. You are right, this would be an aggravating way to have to start each ride, but it won't hurt your starter. It just spins when it sees 12 volts and thats it. It is not made to run continually but it is made to start your engine.

#14 ·
Shadetree- i just joined this forum to make sure that the reason i can only get my quad to start by using the screwdriver trick was definately a bad starter solenoid, i saw this thread at the top and decided to click on and there was my answer...anyways thank you for all the information you took time to include in your thread

#17 · (Edited)
I a problem almost like this with my 2001 400ex. I turn my key on a push the starter button and nothing happens, no click nothing. I have checked the fuses and connections and still nothing. any suggestions. Also when i turn the key on head lights still work.

#18 ·
Have you tried jumping the two posts on the solenoid to see if it will start that way?

#19 · (Edited)
mine done that and i found the solenoid to be coroded up :(, cleaned it and stats great :)

#20 ·
My '10 420 Rancher quit running yesterday like it had run out of gas. When I tried to restart it, I noticed that I did not hear the injector cycle on and off. It does however make a buzzing or clicking sound somewhere near the IACV.
I checked the battery and noticed it to be a little low. After a full charge, same results.
All the fuses appear to not be blown also. The bike will crank but anly runs a few seconds and dies again.

Any ideas?

#21 ·
My '10 420 Rancher quit running yesterday like it had run out of gas. When I tried to restart it, I noticed that I did not hear the injector cycle on and off. It does however make a buzzing or clicking sound somewhere near the IACV.
I checked the battery and noticed it to be a little low. After a full charge, same results.
All the fuses appear to not be blown also. The bike will crank but anly runs a few seconds and dies again.

Any ideas?
yep...just because your battery shows 12 volts ?..does not mean it has enough cranking amps to turn the starter ?.

#23 ·
not normal..battery is bad..if you do not replace the battery ?..you will be running the atv off the stator..over time ..and no telling when ??!!..you will over work your stator..and burn it out..this won't be good at all.

#25 ·
Welcome to da forums...:icon_ devil: No,a rebuild kit will not help a badly worn/burnt armature..Since you did not list the year,and model of yer atv>>You could find a decent used starter on feeBay for pretty chea,errr cost efficient,or buy a new one from one of the dealers on there who are much chea,errr more frugally priced than the stealerships pricing,and offer a warranty with their starters,or from one of the many online oem parts sellers which are usually far chea,errr more cost effective than the stealerships are......:r_c:

#26 ·
Also I would like to add. . . When you clean the terminals on the battery go buy a can of battery cleaner and terminal spray too. . . just to show you how much battery voltage passes across dirt and grime take the neg. on you meter connect to the batt. neg. the touch the pos. meter cable to pos. battery. . we all know you get a reading now touch the plastic part of the battery inbetween the terminals and slowly work your way to the neg. terminal but do not touch it!! someof you will have readings of voltage and some won't just an interesting fact about battery drain not only being caused by a component but a dirty battery

#27 ·
Hey guys I'm new so please excuse if you've covered this already.
I just bought a new 2012 rancher 420 but have had a bit of intermittent trouble. It seems a couple of times the rancher starts fine but when I shift out of neutral and give it some gas it stalls. This has only happen to me twice and both times I did not let the quad warm up. Additionally, when I try to restart it, I get the clicking noise and it doesnt start. On both times, I turned the key off and then back on then hit starter button and it fired right up...Any clues what might be happening here? I can follow the instructions in the beginning of this thread but since the rancher is new I wanted to see if maybe I'm just not letting it warm up enough. Appreciate any insight, thank you.

#28 ·
My 2012 Rancher had the same thing happen. Whether it was warm or not, sometimes it would just stall when I first put it in gear from neutral but turning it off then on would resolve it. Eventually it started to stall as I was riding and wouldn't start unless I messed with the battery terminals. It turned out to be the connection on the battery terminals were coming loose. I think I just removed the connections, and put them back and and tightened them up really well. They didn't even appear to be loose, but it must of been just enough to not make contact. It might be a place to start with your issue...

As for not letting it warm up, I don't really let mine "warm up". I usually start it, put my gloves, helmet and start the Go Pro so it might sit for a minute or so but not much more. Since it is FI, I figured it would be similar to a car where you can basically start it up and go.

#33 ·
Another follow-up, was not having issues turning it over but it just wasnt starting like I thought it should. Since it was a new 2012, I took it back to the stealership and found the spark plug and battery to be bad. I asked how this could be on a new rancher, the service mgr said probably from quick starts and not letting it run, ie taking in and out of showroom for a year. I upgraded the battery to a Deca AMG or AGM (I forgot) and changed the spark plug and now it's starting like it should.

#31 ·
On my fourtrax the starter was acting up. Rebuilt it, still acting up, replaced, still acting up. Spun freely but would not work on the engine. Turns out the oval starter gear cover was too tight and wouldn't let the starter operate. If you loosen the cover the starter works great but has a slow leak of oil. Tighten it to seal the oil leak and it binds it up again. What gives??????

#32 ·
wrong starter ?..or your gasket is not the right thickness ?..this binds the starter up when you tighten the cover.

#34 ·
How about my battery just put a new one in and same problem just ticking n doesn't try to tur. Over battery is brand new mayb 3 days old

#36 ·
thanks for the most excellent write up, now I know that I need to remove my starter and see what is going on in there ! I would be totally friggin lost without this site for all my Honda needs!!!

#39 ·
Shadetree,

I have a 2001 Rancher 350 and have the click click click problem when attempting to start. It starts fine with the pull start. I went through your instructions up to the point of tapping the starter with a hammer.

All terminals are clean. Fuses are good. Battery tested ok, 12.5 volts. Nothing happened when I jumped the terminals on the solenoid. Nothing happened when I tapped the starter with a hammer. I'm kinda confused at this point. Should I take the starter off and test it before moving forward, or is it time for a new starter? Or a rebuild depending on the results of testing the starter?

Thanks for all your helpful posts on the forums. You have never led me down the wrong path yet!

Yeeman

#40 ·
Shadetree,

I have a 2001 Rancher 350 and have the click click click problem when attempting to start. It starts fine with the pull start. I went through your instructions up to the point of tapping the starter with a hammer.

All terminals are clean. Fuses are good. Battery tested ok, 12.5 volts. Nothing happened when I jumped the terminals on the solenoid. Nothing happened when I tapped the starter with a hammer. I'm kinda confused at this point. Should I take the starter off and test it before moving forward, or is it time for a new starter? Or a rebuild depending on the results of testing the starter?

Thanks for all your helpful posts on the forums. You have never led me down the wrong path yet!

Yeeman
if and when you jumped the starter solenoid with a screw driver ?..and the starter did not crank ?..then your starter is bad !..brushes ?..armature ?..one thing is for sure..your starter is the problem !.

#41 ·
Well folks I had the same problem,had 2001 battery (original) in my ruby so the first thing I did was get a new one.....started rite up a couple of times then rite back to the same thing. Talking to a buddie and he told me to clean the post on my starter.....Took off rubber cap all looked good,nice and shiny. Cleaned with a brass wire brush and put it back together,starts great ,tried it 15 to 20 times no problem. I sure wouldn't have believed it by the looks of the post.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.