Honda ATV Forum banner

ready to ride, turn key on..push button..only hear clicking noise , read this !!

373K views 170 replies 88 participants last post by  msandlin2 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Look's like there are alot of members that come on here lately with a problem about thier atv's not starting ??

turns key on..pushes start button..and they only hear a clicking noise comming from somewhere ??? ( I said somewhere..because they have no idea what or where it is ! )..lol. anyway..your answer!

this is a sign of a couple reasons as to what is going on..first..your battery could be weak ?..or dead ?..depends on how long you let it sit ????. soo..first thing's first..check your battery..make sure it's fully charged ???..now..push the start button....same thing..clicking noise that's driving you crazy..and not starting ??

ok..now..locate your starter's solenoid..it's round..and most of them are near your battery..it has two large cables on it..there is a 10mm nut that attaches the cable to the terminals...make sure the post is clean..and tight ?

now..follow the cable to your battery..do the same here..clean..and tight !. back at the solenoid's other termianl post..is the other large cable..check to see if it's clean and tight ?..if so..follow it to your starter....it's attached with a 10mm nut...about middle ways of your starter. check to see if it's clean and tight ?

now..go back to your battery....find the neg post on the battery....see if it's clean and tight ?..follow this cable to your starter or a motor bolt ?..most of these cables bolt up near the starter...either with the starter bolt that attaches the starter to the motor ?...or near the starter..is a 6mm bolt going through the cable..into the motor. see if it's clean and tight ?..okkk

now..go back to the solenoid..you know...that pesky round thing that makes that clicking sound when you push the starter button !!..with key on ( check to make sure all your fuses are not blown ! )..push the start button..does the atv crank up ?..or do you hear that damn pesky noise again ?..if you hear that clicking noise...take an old screwdriver..and touch the screwdriver to both tops of the solenoid terminals..did the bike crank over ??..or did it do nothing ?..if it cranked over...then replace the solenoid..it's bad !..if it did not crank over when you put the screwdriver on the solenoid's terminals..then take a hammer..and slightly tap the starter as you're pushing the start button....if the starter turns over after this..then your brushes are worn too much..and you can either replace the brushes in it ?..or..buy another starter?

if you have found that it's your starter that is bad...remove the starter from the atv ( make sure you unhook the battery from the atv )..just one cable..neg or pos...does not matter. if you have a service manual ( which..you really should have one ! )..it will show you how to pre-test the starter. before you start removing the bolts/screws from the starter ( pay attention to this next part..VERY IMPORTANT ! )..scribe a couple lines across the ends of the starter..where the ends meet the middle...this is so...when you go to put it back together..you can line the ends up where they are supposed to go!

pull the starter apart, and test the armature..it shows you in the book how to test it..and ohm it out. clean the ends out of all the grim and dirt..and crap..I'm sure it's full of it !!..an air compressor works wonders..if ya don't have one..well..wing it !!..lol. grease the ends of the armature..bearings if it has them ?..most do. put your new brushes in..put it back together. do not tighten the bolts or screws down too tight !!!..try spining the starter by hand..does it spin kinda easy ?..if not..you got something wrong ?..or..your new brushes have not '' seated '' in yet.

now..take a set of jumper cables..hook them up to a good battery..car/truck..or even a battery by itself..just make sure you got the cables on the right post on the battery's end !..now...at the other end..hook the neg on the body of the starter..the best place is the ends of the starter..where the two bolt holes are. now..briefly..touch the pos cable end of the jumper cables to the starter's bolt post..be careful..if the starter is rebuilt right..it will kinda jerk as it turns really fast !..if you did it right..then congrats..you just overhauled your starter..and saved a few bucks !..if you failed..well..it's time to go shopping for a new starter !..lol.

hope this helps out gang !.

See less See more
#74 ·
Thanks! Just bought a 96 300 Fourtrax that had that dreaded clicking noise. Joined up here and read this thread. Found the positive wire from the solenoid where connects to the started had come uncrimped. Tried to loosen bolt that holds it to starter but couldn't get it to break free. Managed to unfold the crimps enough to get the bare wire back in place and recrimped it best I could. Reconnected the battery and hit the start button. Fired up like a new one. Probably still need to replace that wire connection, but got to figure out how to get the nut loose without turning the entire connection to the starter.

#76 ·
Really could use some help

Ok I read your post, I've cleaned all cables and where they end at. I've got a brand new battery, a brand new solinoid, and a new starter. It still won't turn over. I know the battery is good because it sparks. when I first hook up the battery the green neutral light comes on, as soon as I hit the starter button it goes out and won't come on again until I unhook the battery and hook it back up.......I read your post and I have manuals but I'm at a stand still.

#78 ·
Brushs and solenoid are the most common occurence when you hear a "click". A dead battery will give the same click and for the same reason, not enough ciurrent is getting to the solenoid to activate it and then turn the starter over.

Guaranteed to have happend to that first guy that bought the first car with a electric battery and a wooden, thats right, wooden, battery box! Great post and explanation on how to run the problem down.

#84 ·
then your starter's brushes are worn out, and need to be replaced ?, or just replace the whole starter if you don't want to replace the starter brushes ?. starter brushes are cheaper than a whole starter though.

#85 ·
This thread has been very helpful to say the least! I have the same Clicking problem in my 2001 350ES, but it's intermittent. It will start perfectly say 10 times, then I get the dreaded click, and the solenoid will just keep clicking every time I try it. I start it with the pull cord, shut it off, and it may start perfect again for a few times. I've looked at all the wires and connections, and they look fine, but I haven't taken them apart cleaned and tightened them yet, I will try that tonight. I also haven't tried the screwdriver on the solenoid trick, or tapping the starter yet, it seems whenever I'm ready to work on it, it doesn't do it. It only seems to want to do it, when I'm quickly jumping on to head somewhere to do something with it, lol. If that isn't the problem, do you guys think it could be that the starter has a "bad spot" in it? Or even the solenoid has an intermittent problem?
Thanks in advance!
Matt

#86 ·
This thread has been very helpful to say the least! I have the same Clicking problem in my 2001 350ES, but it's intermittent. It will start perfectly say 10 times, then I get the dreaded click, and the solenoid will just keep clicking every time I try it. I start it with the pull cord, shut it off, and it may start perfect again for a few times. I've looked at all the wires and connections, and they look fine, but I haven't taken them apart cleaned and tightened them yet, I will try that tonight. I also haven't tried the screwdriver on the solenoid trick, or tapping the starter yet, it seems whenever I'm ready to work on it, it doesn't do it. It only seems to want to do it, when I'm quickly jumping on to head somewhere to do something with it, lol. If that isn't the problem, do you guys think it could be that the starter has a "bad spot" in it? Or even the solenoid has an intermittent problem?
Thanks in advance!
Matt
bad starter solenoid ?, or bad starter brushes..simple as that :). I am gonna say your starter brushes are worn out !.

Reactions: mattkm
#89 ·
Please Help! Stalling, clicking, buzzing =annoyed

Ok, so I've read all of the 10 pages in this topic. But I'm still a bit lost.

I have a 2002 460ex, almost every part on this quad is aftermarket and or built. I'm up at my cottage and while getting on it hard (apx. 30 minutes of driving), it stalls while moving like its out of gas. I then push the start button and it turns over about a half of revolution and then I hear a clicking noise followed by a buzzing sound. I try for 15 minutes and get nothing but the same. All the lights work and the green neutral light is fully lite. So I walk 4 miles get the golf cart with jump box. When I put the jump box on the battery it immediately fires up. I jump on the quad and fly back to the cottage, and sure enough when I get in front of the cottage and slow down, it stalls again. However, this time it fires back up while still rolling, and then dies. Then again it won't start and clicks followed by buzzing. Right now its on the battery charger. The battery is less than a year old. Any idea of whats going on here? All these posts that I've read, I see none where the quad stalls like this while driving. Thank you in advance!

#90 ·
Ok, so I've read all of the 10 pages in this topic. But I'm still a bit lost.

I have a 2002 460ex, almost every part on this quad is aftermarket and or built. I'm up at my cottage and while getting on it hard (apx. 30 minutes of driving), it stalls while moving like its out of gas. I then push the start button and it turns over about a half of revolution and then I hear a clicking noise followed by a buzzing sound. I try for 15 minutes and get nothing but the same. All the lights work and the green neutral light is fully lite. So I walk 4 miles get the golf cart with jump box. When I put the jump box on the battery it immediately fires up. I jump on the quad and fly back to the cottage, and sure enough when I get in front of the cottage and slow down, it stalls again. However, this time it fires back up while still rolling, and then dies. Then again it won't start and clicks followed by buzzing. Right now its on the battery charger. The battery is less than a year old. Any idea of whats going on here? All these posts that I've read, I see none where the quad stalls like this while driving. Thank you in advance!
battery is not charging ?, can be from a bad stator ?, or bad reg/rec ?. or both !. can also have a bad battery ?. just because it's a year old ?, does not mean it is a good battery.

#93 ·
i had an old 1984 honda 125m 3wheeler that the electric starter wouldnt work on, i tried all of those things, one day i couldnt get it started so i turned my key on and hooked jumper cables to my frame and starter wire, it utrned over and the motor started, after that my starter worked just fine

#95 ·
Just joined the site, as I am getting the dreaded clicking sound while attempting to start my Honda. Glad to see this prob is quite common and a "sticky" thread was at the top of the Thread.

I have an 03 Honda Rancher ES 4x4, bought it used last fall. Low miles, great shape. Put a new battery in it late last fall. The battery still cranks great and engine fires right up, until last weekend. Had it in neutral, green light fine and heard the click everytime I pushed the starter button. The click is definately coming from the solenoid located right behind the battery. Mine is square thou?, not round, like many here have mentioned?

Anyway, I read all the posts hear and am going to start checking all the battery, solenoid connections and jump the solenoid with a screw driver if cleaning doesnt make a difference.

#96 · (Edited)
trx420fe only starts with switch after bumping engine in gear

08 trx420fe 8000 miles often will not start with switch until i put it in gear and turn engine by pushing and forcing engine to turn at least a little. lites come on with key and solenoid clicks with start button. starter runs great when it works. engine starts good in warm weather. thanks for any help.

#97 ·
08 trx420fe 8000 miles often will not start with switch until i put it in gear and turn engine by pushing and forcing engine to turn at least a little. lites come on with key and solenoid clicks with start button. starter runs great when it works. engine starts good in warm weather. thanks for any help.
starter brushes bad, replace starter, problem solved :).

#98 ·
Hi everyone, new member here. I to have the dreadful
Clicking noise, with hunting season and winter around the corner I need my 4x4 and im getting really frustrated! Anywho... Its an 88 honda trx300fw, the problem started with the green neutral light went dim and it woudnt turn over...so I put a new solenoid on it and now i have a bright green light but clicking noise in the solenoid, I thought maybe my battery was going bad so I hooked it up to the charger and still same problem, so I then checked the positive wire that connects to the starter and it was clean and tight, then tried tapping the starter and still just clicking! Just wondering if the brushes are bad? If anyone could suggest something I would greatly appreciate it!

#104 ·
Thanks for the advice.. Got my quad going today, tore into the starter gears to make sure the gears were OK, noticed some wires were broken up under the display lights, fixed those and said screw it went and got a $70 battery today...runs like a champ now!!! Thanks again for the help!

#106 ·
Hello to all, great forum, really useful information, thoroughly enjoy reading the info here.
Now my problem;
I have a 2008 TRX420FE that is refusing to start by it's starter motor. The dreaded clicking noise from the starter solenoid. It will start from a pull start no problem. Have replaced the starter, checked the wiring, checked the earths, cleaned all posts and grounds. Replaced the battery, when you check the voltage coming from the starter motor side of the solenoid the voltage is only 3.8V, when pressing the starter button, remove the positive cable from the starter and check the voltage is 12.9V, when pressing the start button.

Battery is good as it's new and it will start another bike
Solenoid is good as it will also start another bike

Why is the voltage dropping and not allowing the starter to turn the engine over when the starter button is pressed.
PLEASE HELP, not even Honda could give me an answer.

Just to add to the plot, I have had the rear cover off as it had been damaged by the main drive shaft. As mentioned above, starts with ease on the pull start, runs and drives all day without issue, apart from not starting on the button but pull starts fine. While the engine is running, if you press the start button (note: I know this should not be done, but I'm trying to diagnose a problem here folks) the bike almost cuts out due to massive draw of electrical power.

Really appreciate any input, the service manual has nothing on this issue.

#108 ·
I am also having the same issues as everyone else here. I've purchased the manual already and went through the steps and it lead me to believe my starter was bad. I ordered in an aftermarket that wouldn't fit so I used the parts to rebuild mine, I still get the same problem as before. Solenoid has also been replaced.

- Start button is pressed and I get the solenoid making noise and the console display turns off.
- If I jump the solenoid the starter does not turn over either
- All connections from battery to starter are clean
- Battery was just charged for 24 hours

I haven't tried a direct connection from battery to starter yet to see how well it spins, but with the old starter parts it barely spun. Possibly a wiring issue then?

Thanks for any help.

#109 ·
Hi: Have you boosted the bike off a car or truck battery? -- don't start the car or truck. You charged it for 24 hours, but the battery maybe bad -- have it load check.

#111 ·
My buddies 05 400 was doing the click click for a while, could tap the starter & it would start, so i got him to buy a rebuild kit, & i got him to pull the starter out, i changed the brushes/cleaned it up etc & its good to go now. Not as bad as you might think, under 7000miles.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.