ready to ride, turn key on..push button..only hear clicking noise , read this !! - Page 3 - Honda ATV Forum
Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 124 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 1883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HammondTiger View Post
My '10 420 Rancher quit running yesterday like it had run out of gas. When I tried to restart it, I noticed that I did not hear the injector cycle on and off. It does however make a buzzing or clicking sound somewhere near the IACV.
I checked the battery and noticed it to be a little low. After a full charge, same results.
All the fuses appear to not be blown also. The bike will crank but anly runs a few seconds and dies again.

Any ideas?
yep...just because your battery shows 12 volts ?..does not mean it has enough cranking amps to turn the starter ?.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '05 trx500fm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 124 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 07:52 PM

Green light on push start no noise green light dims stars with kick start when touch screwdriver sparks (is this normal) any suggestions
post #23 of 124 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 1883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaman94 View Post
Green light on push start no noise green light dims stars with kick start when touch screwdriver sparks (is this normal) any suggestions
not normal..battery is bad..if you do not replace the battery ?..you will be running the atv off the stator..over time ..and no telling when ??!!..you will over work your stator..and burn it out..this won't be good at all.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '05 trx500fm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 124 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 09:56 AM

Click the image to open in full size. this part of my starter is worn down and one of the copper strips appear to be burned and almost gone, will a rebuilt kit help anything? The brushes are definitely need replacing
post #25 of 124 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 11:52 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 54 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wtw11 View Post
Click the image to open in full size. this part of my starter is worn down and one of the copper strips appear to be burned and almost gone, will a rebuilt kit help anything? The brushes are definitely need replacing
Welcome to da forums... No,a rebuild kit will not help a badly worn/burnt armature..Since you did not list the year,and model of yer atv>>You could find a decent used starter on feeBay for pretty chea,errr cost efficient,or buy a new one from one of the dealers on there who are much chea,errr more frugally priced than the stealerships pricing,and offer a warranty with their starters,or from one of the many online oem parts sellers which are usually far chea,errr more cost effective than the stealerships are......

FREE REPAIR MANUALS >>http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums...all-years.html 1986-1992 trx350 parts for sale>>http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums/atv-parts-sale/29225-complete-part-out-1986-fourtrax-350-a.html
post #26 of 124 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012, 06:24 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 316 times
Garage
Also I would like to add. . . When you clean the terminals on the battery go buy a can of battery cleaner and terminal spray too. . . just to show you how much battery voltage passes across dirt and grime take the neg. on you meter connect to the batt. neg. the touch the pos. meter cable to pos. battery. . we all know you get a reading now touch the plastic part of the battery inbetween the terminals and slowly work your way to the neg. terminal but do not touch it!! someof you will have readings of voltage and some won't just an interesting fact about battery drain not only being caused by a component but a dirty battery
Black0ut likes this.

"MOOSE WAGON "
00 TRX400EX aka "MOOSE ROCKET"
91 TRX250X aka "MOOSE WAGON" RETIRED
96 Polaris 400L sport (Mrs. Moose Ride)
07 Suzuki LTZ250 (Sons)
96 Polaris 250 Trail Blazer (daughters)
06 TRX450ER aka === Under construction

Progress and Help
PM FOR MANUAL HELP
JETTING
Service_Manual_Downloads
2000_400EX_Build
400EX_Pivot_Bolt_
post #27 of 124 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 12:54 PM

Hey guys I'm new so please excuse if you've covered this already.
I just bought a new 2012 rancher 420 but have had a bit of intermittent trouble. It seems a couple of times the rancher starts fine but when I shift out of neutral and give it some gas it stalls. This has only happen to me twice and both times I did not let the quad warm up. Additionally, when I try to restart it, I get the clicking noise and it doesnt start. On both times, I turned the key off and then back on then hit starter button and it fired right up...Any clues what might be happening here? I can follow the instructions in the beginning of this thread but since the rancher is new I wanted to see if maybe I'm just not letting it warm up enough. Appreciate any insight, thank you.

Honda Rancher 420FPM
Moose Plow
SuperWinch LT3000
post #28 of 124 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulshaker View Post
Hey guys I'm new so please excuse if you've covered this already.
I just bought a new 2012 rancher 420 but have had a bit of intermittent trouble. It seems a couple of times the rancher starts fine but when I shift out of neutral and give it some gas it stalls. This has only happen to me twice and both times I did not let the quad warm up. Additionally, when I try to restart it, I get the clicking noise and it doesnt start. On both times, I turned the key off and then back on then hit starter button and it fired right up...Any clues what might be happening here? I can follow the instructions in the beginning of this thread but since the rancher is new I wanted to see if maybe I'm just not letting it warm up enough. Appreciate any insight, thank you.
My 2012 Rancher had the same thing happen. Whether it was warm or not, sometimes it would just stall when I first put it in gear from neutral but turning it off then on would resolve it. Eventually it started to stall as I was riding and wouldn't start unless I messed with the battery terminals. It turned out to be the connection on the battery terminals were coming loose. I think I just removed the connections, and put them back and and tightened them up really well. They didn't even appear to be loose, but it must of been just enough to not make contact. It might be a place to start with your issue...

As for not letting it warm up, I don't really let mine "warm up". I usually start it, put my gloves, helmet and start the Go Pro so it might sit for a minute or so but not much more. Since it is FI, I figured it would be similar to a car where you can basically start it up and go.
post #29 of 124 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 01:59 PM

Habs Fan, very helpful man... Thank you for the info. I'm gonna check this out and holler back if it doesn't solve the issue. Appreciate it

Honda Rancher 420FPM
Moose Plow
SuperWinch LT3000
post #30 of 124 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 04:07 AM

Habs Fan, wanted to follow-up after taking your advice and checking the battery terminals, I found the - terminal to be lose by about a full turn. Tightened her down and haven't had an issue. Thanks man!!

Honda Rancher 420FPM
Moose Plow
SuperWinch LT3000

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode