Honda ATV Forum banner

ready to ride, turn key on..push button..only hear clicking noise , read this !!

373K views 170 replies 88 participants last post by  msandlin2 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Look's like there are alot of members that come on here lately with a problem about thier atv's not starting ??

turns key on..pushes start button..and they only hear a clicking noise comming from somewhere ??? ( I said somewhere..because they have no idea what or where it is ! )..lol. anyway..your answer!

this is a sign of a couple reasons as to what is going on..first..your battery could be weak ?..or dead ?..depends on how long you let it sit ????. soo..first thing's first..check your battery..make sure it's fully charged ???..now..push the start button....same thing..clicking noise that's driving you crazy..and not starting ??

ok..now..locate your starter's solenoid..it's round..and most of them are near your battery..it has two large cables on it..there is a 10mm nut that attaches the cable to the terminals...make sure the post is clean..and tight ?

now..follow the cable to your battery..do the same here..clean..and tight !. back at the solenoid's other termianl post..is the other large cable..check to see if it's clean and tight ?..if so..follow it to your starter....it's attached with a 10mm nut...about middle ways of your starter. check to see if it's clean and tight ?

now..go back to your battery....find the neg post on the battery....see if it's clean and tight ?..follow this cable to your starter or a motor bolt ?..most of these cables bolt up near the starter...either with the starter bolt that attaches the starter to the motor ?...or near the starter..is a 6mm bolt going through the cable..into the motor. see if it's clean and tight ?..okkk

now..go back to the solenoid..you know...that pesky round thing that makes that clicking sound when you push the starter button !!..with key on ( check to make sure all your fuses are not blown ! )..push the start button..does the atv crank up ?..or do you hear that damn pesky noise again ?..if you hear that clicking noise...take an old screwdriver..and touch the screwdriver to both tops of the solenoid terminals..did the bike crank over ??..or did it do nothing ?..if it cranked over...then replace the solenoid..it's bad !..if it did not crank over when you put the screwdriver on the solenoid's terminals..then take a hammer..and slightly tap the starter as you're pushing the start button....if the starter turns over after this..then your brushes are worn too much..and you can either replace the brushes in it ?..or..buy another starter?

if you have found that it's your starter that is bad...remove the starter from the atv ( make sure you unhook the battery from the atv )..just one cable..neg or pos...does not matter. if you have a service manual ( which..you really should have one ! )..it will show you how to pre-test the starter. before you start removing the bolts/screws from the starter ( pay attention to this next part..VERY IMPORTANT ! )..scribe a couple lines across the ends of the starter..where the ends meet the middle...this is so...when you go to put it back together..you can line the ends up where they are supposed to go!

pull the starter apart, and test the armature..it shows you in the book how to test it..and ohm it out. clean the ends out of all the grim and dirt..and crap..I'm sure it's full of it !!..an air compressor works wonders..if ya don't have one..well..wing it !!..lol. grease the ends of the armature..bearings if it has them ?..most do. put your new brushes in..put it back together. do not tighten the bolts or screws down too tight !!!..try spining the starter by hand..does it spin kinda easy ?..if not..you got something wrong ?..or..your new brushes have not '' seated '' in yet.

now..take a set of jumper cables..hook them up to a good battery..car/truck..or even a battery by itself..just make sure you got the cables on the right post on the battery's end !..now...at the other end..hook the neg on the body of the starter..the best place is the ends of the starter..where the two bolt holes are. now..briefly..touch the pos cable end of the jumper cables to the starter's bolt post..be careful..if the starter is rebuilt right..it will kinda jerk as it turns really fast !..if you did it right..then congrats..you just overhauled your starter..and saved a few bucks !..if you failed..well..it's time to go shopping for a new starter !..lol.

hope this helps out gang !.

See less See more
#44 ·
MY machine makes an electricle buzz that sounds like it is coming from the area of the starter. Your advice is good and common sense. I just have to find the starter. Terminals are probably dirty, which I figured. So I went to the owner's manual and found no info on the starter. If I can't find it I may buy a shop manual. I only use the machine, 450 Foreman year 2000, on the ranch. Mostly for getting around and checking on the cattle. Roads are dusty this time of year so the terminals may have loosened and are certainly dirty. Thank you for the info. This is a very well done site.

#45 ·
My Recon had died and when I went to restart, there was a click and the neutral light winked out. After a few moments the neutral glowed green and CLICK! when I tried to restart. I put the battery on trickle charge for 24 hours, but had the same symptoms when I attempted to start.

After checking the fuses and solenoid, I started cleaning the battery posts and solenoid terminals, NONE of which seemed particularly corroded, but I cleaned them until bright and smeared dielectric grease on them. FIRED RIGHT UP!

I would have cleaned the connections on the started, but one has to have arms and hands made of rubber to get in there and take care of that. Maybe there's an easier way to get to it?

Thanks for the post! I was ready to haul it to the shop.

#46 ·
I kept hearing a cliking when we tried to start my fourwheeler, so we replaced the starter, the battery, and the solenoid. Now it doesn't click at all, it does nothing. So we tested the wires that connected to the solenoid and one is fine, and the one connecting to the starter, isn't. I'm not sure what to do now.

#47 ·
Does anyone know where the solenoid is on a 2012 rancher? I can't seem to find anything about the solenoid in the manual

#49 ·
Its located right next to the battery,follow the positive cable away from the battery,and it goes to the solenoid,it's round,has two large cables attached to it...

#51 ·
I have a 86 trx 200 sx when I placed the screwdriver to the starter relay little to no spark now. it was engaging the starter but wouldn't crank the bike. now the starter make a clicking sound when i touch the relay post now. also my battery reading in the 6.90 range when it was reading 10.35. the bike will crank via the pull cord. also my neutral dies when I touch the relay post

#54 ·
2011 rancher starter issues

I have a 2011 rancher very low miles bought new in 2012 fall with 16 miles now has 300 miles on it. It left us sit 20 miles from home in the desert, had to tow it home. Put a new battery in it and it wouldn't start, put a new solenoid in it and it won't start. Just bought a new starter which I didn't think it was from the begining but am going to change that next. I did take the starter off first thing and made up a set of test leads and it did turn but that didn't simulate a load. If the starter doesn't work I suppose the next move is going to be the starter gear/one way bearing. I put it in 4th gear and rocked it back and forth to see if it was locked up and it turned the motor over but still didn't start. I asked the dealer and he said it may be the one way bearing but I haven't been with the machine for a month so it's making me crazy not getting it going. Anyone else go down this road with such a new machine??

#56 ·
I finally was able to repair my 2011 420 rancher as I did not keep it at my home so I wasn't able to get to it right away but wait'll you hear this one!
I loaned the rancher to friends of ours who we knew would probably take better care of it than we do. It left them sit about 6 miles from where we store it and they had to tow it home. After riding for about 30-40 miles they shut it off and it wouldn't start click or anything. I bought a starter relay to try first because it made a squealing sound and that was not it at $40. I figured I would buy a starter from a Honda dealer who stocked one and it took a week to get it. I was finally at the house where I stored the machine and took out the old starter and when I say I old, the machine has 274 miles on it as it was bought in 2012 as a dealer leftover. I take out the old starter and replace it with the new one and it is cured, starts and runs fine. When I turned the shaft on the starter I took out it was rough, so rough it locked up when I turned it a bit so, I took out the two bolts that hold it together and they it was...the magnets broken and came off the outside of the starter causing it to lock up. I have never seen anything like it nor has almost anyone I have shown it to and to make things as per in this day and age American Honda won't do anything for me because I didn't have a dealer do the work. It cost me $145 in parts but it's a tight squeeze to get it out and I'm think it was a $400 job by a dealer so they can pay for such a pretty building. Not very happy with American Honda to have a starter take a $hit at 274 miles and yes I am a bit wary as to how long the new one will last. I do know the whining sound the starter made when at about 200 miles I told my wife that the starter is going to go on her rancher. I hope this helps any of you on here who have helped me with your insight to learning about my Honda machines.

#57 ·
I finally was able to repair my 2011 420 rancher as I did not keep it at my home so I wasn't able to get to it right away but wait'll you hear this one!
I loaned the rancher to friends of ours who we knew would probably take better care of it than we do. It left them sit about 6 miles from where we store it and they had to tow it home. After riding for about 30-40 miles they shut it off and it wouldn't start click or anything. I bought a starter relay to try first because it made a squealing sound and that was not it at $40. I figured I would buy a starter from a Honda dealer who stocked one and it took a week to get it. I was finally at the house where I stored the machine and took out the old starter and when I say I old, the machine has 274 miles on it as it was bought in 2012 as a dealer leftover. I take out the old starter and replace it with the new one and it is cured, starts and runs fine. When I turned the shaft on the starter I took out it was rough, so rough it locked up when I turned it a bit so, I took out the two bolts that hold it together and they it was...the magnets broken and came off the outside of the starter causing it to lock up. I have never seen anything like it nor has almost anyone I have shown it to and to make things as per in this day and age American Honda won't do anything for me because I didn't have a dealer do the work. It cost me $145 in parts but it's a tight squeeze to get it out and I'm think it was a $400 job by a dealer so they can pay for such a pretty building. Not very happy with American Honda to have a starter take a $hit at 274 miles and yes I am a bit wary as to how long the new one will last. I do know the whining sound the starter made when at about 200 miles I told my wife that the starter is going to go on her rancher. I hope this helps any of you on here who have helped me with your insight to learning about my Honda machines.
thanks for the update. keep in mind..not even honda can make a perfect starter !..lol..there is a lemon made every day..no matter who makes it ?!..lol. glad you got it fixed !..hope this sticky helped you ? :).

#59 · (Edited)
Good post! I have the same issue( Solinoid Clicking) I am about to do Whay you suggest as I also tapped the starter and it Very very slowly cranked,then Quit.i have a 97 fourtrax 300 FW .Bought it new in Aug.97 also purchased the Service Manual BUT lost it when a DeWalt Cordless battery charger Burnt down my shop and ALL my manuals quad,sled etc.Thankyou again, Sully Bristol N.Y. "The only thing Tyranny Needs to Take Over our Lives,is for good People to Remain Silent!"

#60 ·
ST, I've got an 88 trx300 2x4 that is in sad condition. No fire - imagine that? When I hook up jump pack, headlights work and solenoid clicks. So, new plug, trimmed coil wire and reinserted plug boot, pulled and cleaned battery and solenoid connections hoping to get lucky! Connected everything and - no headlights or clicking. Figured its a fuse, but both are good. So I proceeded to tap the CDI - nothing? Any suggestions? I am just as my sign in name suggests.

#62 ·
TNCB, thanks for reply, but I tried that prior to cleaning and nothing. Tried again after cleaning and nothing. Not even a click. I feel like at this point, the starter is bad, the CDI is bad, the coil is bad, and I really do not understand how everything is hooked up as before and now no headlights or solenoid click. Perhaps the solenoid is now bad as well. Please, any suggestions are extremely welcome!

#63 ·
I have an 01 honda 400ex and have this problem where it just makes a buzzing sound from the solenoid and the starter but doesn't turn over. I try to push started but tires just lock doesn't even make an attempt to turn over. Any ideas to what it could be? thank for replies

#65 ·
When I tried that jakep53 it would do the same as when i pushed the start button both the solenoid and the started started buzzing kind of as if they were spinning. I also checked the battery and it was good but just to be sure it wasn't that i had a battery charger hooked up to it while trying to turn it on and it did the same. thanks for the reply

#66 ·
hit the starter motor with the handle of a screwdriver or a hammer while holding the start button if it turns over you need a new starter or rebuild the original

#72 ·
Most likely your starter my was buzzing put a new starter on and it works. Take the starter off and hook jumper cables up to battery and then hook the other ends up to the starter positive to positive negative to negative if it works most likely will be the solenoid

Sent from my iPhone using Off-Road Forums

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.