Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2012, 12:15 AM   #11 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #8365
View Deeperinthabush's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 9 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BongRipper View Post
ive been having this problem ever since ive had my 4 wheeler i got it running now put everytime i wanna ride i gotta get somebody to pull me with a truck and lets just say i take it out in the woods and it dies (HAPPEND TODAY) i have to push back out its very annoying and hard to do.i got a new starter for it new battery i think i need a new solonoid and some fuses because when i try to jump it off with some jumper cables it dont start it tries but wont do it using the old solonoid trick and my solonoid clicks when i press the start button. I read this forum about a week ago i did everything you said beside using a jumper cable and puttin to the starter i dont wanna do that every time i wanna ride i dont think its good for the starter.
1st,Set the bong down,then check all the fuses,replace them all if they don't look good,or are too hard to see through,remove all cable ends one at a time,use a wire brush,shine each lug up until it shines just like a new bong!! Replace each one afterwards snugging the nuts up,and ONLY putting a little effort into tightening them after they make contact(putting dielectric grease on all CLEAN electrical connections will help to preserve their cleanliness,and good electrical connections as well as keeping moisture out..Next,avoid looking at the bong,turn key on,check for green neutral light,hit starter button if ya see green,if not,find neutral the old fashioned way by feel...Once ya have it in neutral,hit start button after you make certain the run switch is in the run position.If you hear a clicking noise,try the jumping the solenoid tricks mentioned above(you can also test the solenoid by using a test light grounded to the battery,and touching the solenoid to starter cable post on the solenoid itsel...If it lights up when ya hit the starter button,it is good,if not,it is toast..Still no vrooom vrooom?? Tap lightly on the starter body with a wooden hammer handle while you hold the start button in,with the key on,switch in the run position,in neutral..If it starts then it is time for a new starter,or at least a rebuild,if it makes a spinning noise,ya prolly need a new one way starter bearing,if it still just clicks then ya need a new starter period...Since you can pull start the atv,or jump it off,yer one way bearing is prolly good,and again it is prolly the starter itself...Which btw,a starter can work one time,not the next,work the next,not the next due to carbon buildup from the brushes wearing down,or accumulation of mud,grit,grime,etc. from age,and usage..Good luck,and don't look at,or stare at the bong...
FREE REPAIR MANUALS >>http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums...all-years.html 1986-1992 trx350 parts for sale>>http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums/atv-parts-sale/29225-complete-part-out-1986-fourtrax-350-a.html

Last edited by Deeperinthabush; 02-19-2012 at 12:17 AM.
Deeperinthabush is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 02-21-2012, 02:18 PM   #12 (permalink)
BongRipper

Member # View BongRipper's Photo Gallery()
my starter is brand new its ony works when i connect a screwdriver to the solonoid then it spins fine i just orderd a new solonoid this has got to fix it
Old 02-23-2012, 06:56 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member #15912
View bflee's Photo Gallery(0)
Bongripper, I don't think he meant to start your bike each time by putting the jumper cables to the starter! Just check the starter this way to see if its good. You are right, this would be an aggravating way to have to start each ride, but it won't hurt your starter. It just spins when it sees 12 volts and thats it. It is not made to run continually but it is made to start your engine.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:31 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member #16471
View John400ex's Photo Gallery(0)
Shadetree- i just joined this forum to make sure that the reason i can only get my quad to start by using the screwdriver trick was definately a bad starter solenoid, i saw this thread at the top and decided to click on and there was my answer...anyways thank you for all the information you took time to include in your thread
John400ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:10 PM   #15 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
View shadetree's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 90 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John400ex View Post
Shadetree- i just joined this forum to make sure that the reason i can only get my quad to start by using the screwdriver trick was definately a bad starter solenoid, i saw this thread at the top and decided to click on and there was my answer...anyways thank you for all the information you took time to include in your thread
welcome to the forums...and your welcome !.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:12 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member #20028
View sinsayers's Photo Gallery(0)
Great read and will help a lot of people
sinsayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:54 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member #20645
View khogan737's Photo Gallery(0)
I a problem almost like this with my 2001 400ex. I turn my key on a push the starter button and nothing happens, no click nothing. I have checked the fuses and connections and still nothing. any suggestions. Also when i turn the key on head lights still work.

Last edited by khogan737; 07-06-2012 at 02:21 PM.
khogan737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:42 PM   #18 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
View Helmut's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 9 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khogan737 View Post
I a problem almost like this with my 2001 400ex. I turn my key on a push the starter button and nothing happens, no click nothing. I have checked the fuses and connections and still nothing. any suggestions. Also when i turn the key on head lights still work.
Have you tried jumping the two posts on the solenoid to see if it will start that way?

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Helmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 03:03 PM   #19 (permalink)
jdp

Member #16593
View jdp's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 12 times
mine done that and i found the solenoid to be coroded up , cleaned it and stats great

1993 Honda 300
Superwinch Terra 35/synthetic rope
AMS Swampfox front 23x8x11, GBC dirt devils 25x12x9 rear
"Go prepared even if you think you don't need it".
330 CCA Diehard battery in rear storage box.
KFI winch mount

Last edited by jdp; 07-14-2012 at 03:40 PM.
jdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:28 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member #8596
View HammondTiger's Photo Gallery(0)
My '10 420 Rancher quit running yesterday like it had run out of gas. When I tried to restart it, I noticed that I did not hear the injector cycle on and off. It does however make a buzzing or clicking sound somewhere near the IACV.
I checked the battery and noticed it to be a little low. After a full charge, same results.
All the fuses appear to not be blown also. The bike will crank but anly runs a few seconds and dies again.

Any ideas?
HammondTiger is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Search tags for this page

4 wheeler wont start just clicks

atv clicking noise starting

atv clicks when trying to start

atv just clicks

atv makes clicking sound trying start

atv wont start clicking noise

four wheeler clicks when trying to start

four wheeler just clicks

four wheeler wont start just clicks

how to fix a four wheeler that won't start
how to fix a starter on a four wheeler
my four wheeler wont start
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.